New boat for solo/double for inshore, Vic-Maui, Transpac and cruising

dreamingwet

Certainly J boats, and the B-36 First you mentioned have furling or hanked jib set-ups as an option when ordering. I suspect every boat in this category are the same.
Are you certain of your 20-25% higher price for the J's than the competitors? I actually have priced a J/111 and the First B-36 and they are very close in price here in Canada.
This is the last 111 production year. No more for the 111s

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Certainly J boats, and the B-36 First you mentioned have furling or hanked jib set-ups as an option when ordering. I suspect every boat in this category are the same.
Are you certain of your 20-25% higher price for the J's than the competitors? I actually have priced a J/111 and the First B-36 and they are very close in price here in Canada.
Certain? No, in this world of variable materials cost and drastically variable shipping costs, things are never certain!

That being said, the Pogo 36 price sheet is online. A base boat is $187k. Add a carbon rig ($25k option), another $25k for electronics, upgrade to vinylester resin throughout (~$15k), add sails (~$40k) and you're at $292k. I've heard numbers of the B-36 at $350k landed, but the local dealer hasn't gotten me a price sheet. I know shipping is bad, but I think if you are willing to wait you can still do it for $30k. That's $322k vs. $350k, about a 10% difference, but its hard to say if that is an apples to apples comparison. I think the $350k number on the B-36 doesn't include a carbon rig. Subtracting that from the Pogo 36 gets you more in line with what I've seen, a 15% delta. In the end, it is all a lot of money and its more important to buy the right boat!

dreamingwet

Certain? No, in this world of variable materials cost and drastically variable shipping costs, things are never certain!

That being said, the Pogo 36 price sheet is online. A base boat is $187k. Add a carbon rig ($25k option), another $25k for electronics, upgrade to vinylester resin throughout (~$15k), add sails (~$40k) and you're at $292k. I've heard numbers of the B-36 at $350k landed, but the local dealer hasn't gotten me a price sheet. I know shipping is bad, but I think if you are willing to wait you can still do it for $30k. That's $322k vs. $350k, about a 10% difference, but its hard to say if that is an apples to apples comparison. I think the $350k number on the B-36 doesn't include a carbon rig. Subtracting that from the Pogo 36 gets you more in line with what I've seen, a 15% delta. In the end, it is all a lot of money and its more important to buy the right boat!
The one thing I would add is the Pogo 36 will be in the spec weight; the Bene36 I seriously doubt.
That alone puts the Pogo 36 in a different better level.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
The one thing I would add is the Pogo 36 will be in the spec weight; the Bene36 I seriously doubt.
That alone puts the Pogo 36 in a different better level.

Exactly. I think there is some hope that Seascape will do a better job with the Bene36 weight than Bene corporate have done in the past, but until 10 have been built and weighed, that will be hard to know.

J/boats are also an issue in this regard, there was over a 400lb difference between the lightest 120 and the heaviest in the 2022 N2B race. I realize some of that is fit out, but a lot of that is excess resin in the kerf's of the core.

dreamingwet

Exactly. I think there is some hope that Seascape will do a better job with the Bene36 weight than Bene corporate have done in the past, but until 10 have been built and weighed, that will be hard to know.

J/boats are also an issue in this regard, there was over a 400lb difference between the lightest 120 and the heaviest in the 2022 N2B race. I realize some of that is fit out, but a lot of that is excess resin in the kerf's of the core.
Does anyone know the Riptide 35 todo loco? Is it a MKII?
Would it be ok in S2H, ir the hull and mast are so light that would get destroyed in 40knt upwind.
I have not seen the inside or pictures and I am wandering if it could be made a little more comfortable than I was told.

Last edited:

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Does anyone know the Riptide 35 todo loco? Is it a MKII?
Would it be ok in S2H, ir the hull and mast are so light that would get destroyed in 40knt upwind.
I have not seen the inside or pictures and I am wandering if it could be made a little more comfortable than I was told.
IIRC, Loco is ex Ripple, so Mk1.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
When saw this route my first thought was that you are an idiot to ride through Europe and not spend a hell of a lot of it in the alps. Then I read your earlier post.

When I lived in Europe I did many rides to Switzerland and did not care where I ended up as long as I had a fun ride.

I enjoyed Germany in fast cars but it too much hard work on the autobahns on a bike. Any sort of speed was too tiring and riding at a comfortable speed meant too many fast drivers passing you at speed. A couple of times I put the bike on a train to get through Germany.

I do not usually ride big highways although I can. Only time I hop on the autobahn when it is about expediency or I have absolutely no other choice. I try to stick to the two lane rides on my much loved bike where the beauty and people of Europe really are. The 500 road is one of my favorites in Germany through the BlackForest which connects and weaves to other great roads through to Switzerland and France.
https://www.roadstotravel.net/germany-black-forest-road-b500/
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 7.09.08 AM.png

IMG_1502 (1).jpeg

dreamingwet

I just saw a 133, looks good but I wonder what do you guys think, specially for sole/double handed. I never sailed one, but sailed against in light air and it was pretty fast.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
The 133 is a nice boat, though a bit hard to sail to their ratings. The overlapping #1 probably isn't ideal shorthanded, but you could set the boat up with non-overlapping headsails and a Code Zero for shorthanded racing.

I do think they are a bit tender, you definitely want the deep draft version and carbon rig. I say tender based on this, I count 11 on the rail:

1658076568757.png

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
^ She is too tender and requires too much work. Also needs weight low at light winds. She is nice though..

I think the answer if going to a j is the J11s. Checks all you would want without sorting out what you may not need like a bunch of old guys on the rails.

dreamingwet

The j133 sold under me 😞 and had to cancel my trip.
There is a j120 “Pole Dance” in Dana Point.
Anyone knows this boat?

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Somewhat. Current owners & wife used to race a lot, could never get boat up to speed. Class bowed to his whining, allowed them to strip stuff out of boat to reduce weight. First owner of boat was mid fleet, when quite a lot of 120's raced. Slow sail replacement program
There is one for sale in Canada which seems a much better deal - less use/wear, carbon rig

dreamingwet

Somewhat. Current owners & wife used to race a lot, could never get boat up to speed. Class bowed to his whining, allowed them to strip stuff out of boat to reduce weight. First owner of boat was mid fleet, when quite a lot of 120's raced. Slow sail replacement program
There is one for sale in Canada which seems a much better deal - less use/wear, carbon rig
I could only find this J120. Do you mind giving me the link to the other?
Thank you

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I do not usually ride big highways although I can. Only time I hop on the autobahn when it is about expediency or I have absolutely no other choice. I try to stick to the two lane rides on my much loved bike where the beauty and people of Europe really are. The 500 road is one of my favorites in Germany through the BlackForest which connects and weaves to other great roads through to Switzerland and France.
https://www.roadstotravel.net/germany-black-forest-road-b500/
View attachment 528812

View attachment 528813
As I lived in Sweden, the first couple and last of days were always used to commute to and from the fun places. So this was handy on the couple of times I did it.

1658106688138.png

Whether it was on a train or Autobahn, it was all about this

1658106913075.png

1658106974327.png

2 laps for a leisurely day.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 11.19.24.png

dreamingwet

What about the Sun Fast 3600

View attachment 529029
I looked at one 2-3 days ago. I can’t see the cruising part happening for more than 2-3 days in it with my partner much less deliveries back from Hawaii or venturing down the South Pacific, Mexico Central America after a Caribbean 600
I know I have many wants/needs.
Will see if I can get to talk to Bieker and tell me what he thinks about doing a Blue spin off or if Blue comes into the market then modify it to meet my needs.
If none of this works then, I will need to go to Europe and find a boat there

Last edited:

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I looked at one 2-3 days ago. I can’t see the cruising part happening for more than 2-3 days in it with my partner much less deliveries back from Hawaii or venturing down the South Pacific, Mexico Central America after a Caribbean 600
I know I have many wants/needs.
Will see if I can get to talk to Bieker and tell me what he thinks about doing a Blue spin off or if Blue comes into the market then modify it to meet my needs.
If none of this works then, I will need to go to Europe and find a boat there
Dreaming, don't suppose you wanna stop by Italy, I like these Italian thingys (Neo 43).
e764d11d-a777-4613-9905-50397fc178f2.jpeg

Hans Genthe

Dubai
22-6088
It looks great, but how a full carbon 45' boat would fit my budget? It will be interesting to hear from him.
Hi, yes it fits perfect in your budget. We have all inhouse, Milling, Mould making, Boatbuilding, Carpentry, Metal workshop, Upholstery ... and we are producing our own Prepreg in our Company. Send me a PN.

Latest posts