New boat for solo/double for inshore, Vic-Maui, Transpac and cruising

dreamingwet

Dreaming, don't suppose you wanna stop by Italy, I like these Italian thingys (Neo 43).
View attachment 529098
Dreaming is right! I priced one out hoping and wishing for a miracle but it is out of my budget. :( a bare boat is ~U$580-U$600k plus sails, instruments, taxes, etc... even if I sailed her in her bottom which I would not mind at all, is a step too far for me. Just like Han's which is also so tempting.

Countryclub

seattle
USA 15 Koloa Maoli . Currently at Maine Yacht Center.

image.jpg

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I am in my mid fifties and after 8 years from sailing to fight cancer, I want to buy my next new boat for 60-70% racing single/double handed and the rest out relaxing with my partner and now then another couple.

8 years is a long time away to know what has happened on yacht design so I am seeking advice from those better informed.
I have some racing and delivery experience that I accumulated since I was and infant; I done 4-5 Admiral's cup , including Fastnet 79, 3-4 SORC, a couple Cape Town-RIO, 4 Sydney-Hobart, 2 Bs.As-RIO, all the races in the Med more than I can remember, over 10 back and forth between Barcelona and the US and my last fast boat was an Open40.

The smallest boat I would want is a 36 footer, and the largest maybe 45-50, that can plane, prefer asyms than syms, maybe with water ballast.
I was looking at the Pogo 44 but when I called to put my $ I was told that they are years away so that boat is off the table, the 2 Pogo 12.50 I traveled to inspect were destroyed from chartering.

Fuck off newbie :ROFLMAO:, I deleted my SA account with a couple of thousands of posts a few years back after the editor told me he did not like me :eek:.

BTW. I am Basque so I apologize for my English in advance.

I am now living in the PNW/Seattle area and the budget is $250K-$500K

thank you.
I Don’t know American boats

plenty of high quality , fast , racer cruisers in Northern Europe

the Xp-38 is fast and and a genuine cruiser…

the twin wheels make for a nice cockpit layout

suggest you search northern Europe

B7E98434-76EA-49AE-8517-44C2F33802C9.png

Foils

Vancouver
I sailed a E37 with 30-35Knts in the San Fran bay, it was fun but not the type of boat I would enjoy, I would rather have a JPK11.80 or even a SF3600 which I sailed both.
The Riptides 35s are much closer to what I am looking for but I would have to see the interior to get a feel if my partner and I could spend 15-20 days in it, add a desalinator (?), fridge, stove, and other "essential" gear to do long passages.
Here’s a few interior photos of Riptide Mk11 Longboard….great offshore cruiser….3 Hawaii Races and 2 comfortable short handed return deliveries home to Vancouver….. large galley and water ballast is key to offshore comfort and speed.

82376B54-35B5-4ED1-989C-9E57F8FE6FE3.png

AF36CDB0-F38F-427E-9E26-3FE0A46F8828.png

60294147-8E97-4814-A039-8AA525A50A45.png

A1CB3A00-DBA8-4F01-8E23-CD4ABA864CE8.png

1C2D6D39-3A92-4AD5-A7A9-C3BD17B79428.png

dreamingwet

Very nice! There was a MKI but I was advised to pass, as it would be not fit for long and hard up wind crossings

Trevor B

Super Anarchist
Santa Cruz, CA
Very nice! There was a MKI but I was advised to pass, as it would be not fit for long and hard up wind crossings
Two quick points.
They go upwind fine for thirty five footers, just not that great for boats that rate the same as Santa Cruz 50s…
When was the last time you sailed a “long and hard upwind crossing” that wasn’t a race?

dreamingwet

Two quick points.
They go upwind fine for thirty five footers, just not that great for boats that rate the same as Santa Cruz 50s…
When was the last time you sailed a “long and hard upwind crossing” that wasn’t a race?
"They go upwind fine for thirty five footers, just not that great for boats that rate the same as Santa Cruz 50s…"
I was told that structurally would not like to do tuff crossings, which is one of the things I have to account with the type/style (sorry for my English, not my first or second language) of sailing I want to do, and at 35feet is smaller than what I want.

"When was the last time you sailed a “long and hard upwind crossing” that wasn’t a race?"
Delivering back from Hawaii, when a weather developed from nowhere and we had 3+ days of sustained 30-40Knts and breaking waves; 3 sailings back to Spain back from Guadalupe (Route du Rhon), 4 crossings from Europe to the US, and 3 from the US to Europe, 4 backs from Bermuda, 4 from Hobart, 2 from Rio de Janeiro to Spain, and quite a few other times from and to the Canary island. It is not something I like to do for leisure, but when you do a lot of miles in the ocean sometimes you get corralled by weather that you did not see coming despite the best forecasts.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Both the 35 MkI and MkII have raced to Hawaii multiple times and both have sailed back from Hawaii to the PNW at least once. I think MkI did it once and MkII twice. That said, I believe the MkI (not the one for sale at the moment) was rolled and dismasted on the return.

Countryclub

seattle
USA 15 Koloa Maoli . Currently at Maine Yacht Center.

View attachment 529698
So far been out for two quick sails and only good things to say about this one . Low milage boat overall but everything onboard works fine except for some dated electronics ( gps units will not do dates anymore ... ) NKE pilots seem good and will get a Compass update . Even vintage Class 40's rip around pretty nice!

dreamingwet

So far been out for two quick sails and only good things to say about this one . Low milage boat overall but everything onboard works fine except for some dated electronics ( gps units will not do dates anymore ... ) NKE pilots seem good and will get a Compass update . Even vintage Class 40's rip around pretty nice!
I did not know it it is for sale.

dreamingwet

The Original Ripple (MK1) is for sale again. Was pretty neglected about 3 years ago, then the next owner poured some coin into it.

Doesn't this one have the old mast, which is kind of fragile for a double handed boat?

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
I got to look at a couple of Open 40s up close on the hard. Those are quite a lot of boat. Very impressive. I've seen em sailing a couple times too, I'd guess you would need a pretty high level of physical ability as well as skill and experience to really sail one hard 24/7? Then, if racing, I'm guessing that your rating would be based on a similar boat being sailed by a professional? I actually got passed on the water once by a crew of French pros. I was sitting there driving my boat like a regular hominid while these guys were whispering to each other and constantly tweaking every element, squeezing the last drop of blood and relentlessly wringing the neck. Seems like that could be a pretty high bar. Also guessing the comfort level built for a couple young athletes is a bit different than what you'd get in a really nice (275k) lightly used, modern racer/cruiser?

dreamingwet

I got to look at a couple of Open 40s up close on the hard. Those are quite a lot of boat. Very impressive. I've seen em sailing a couple times too, I'd guess you would need a pretty high level of physical ability as well as skill and experience to really sail one hard 24/7? Then, if racing, I'm guessing that your rating would be based on a similar boat being sailed by a professional? I actually got passed on the water once by a crew of French pros. I was sitting there driving my boat like a regular hominid while these guys were whispering to each other and constantly tweaking every element, squeezing the last drop of blood and relentlessly wringing the neck. Seems like that could be a pretty high bar. Also guessing the comfort level built for a couple young athletes is a bit different than what you'd get in a really nice (275k) lightly used, modern racer/cruiser?
It all depends :) you can't make a pig to run like a racing horse, but you can add a little comfort to make the racing horse to slow down. :) I owned older gen Open40s, and like you said to race them 24/[email protected] is hard, but so are other boats.
the truth is that there aren't many choices for the boat I want, so I might have to start compromising if the COVID boats don't get back in the market rotation.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Agreed. Class 40's are awesome, but only if you are racing against other Class 40s. If you are racing handicap, you pretty much can go claim your DFL award before you start.

We did a 115nm race in the UK on a SF3300 (not known for its light air prowess, but it is probably better than people realize, still...). After 50nm we were side by side with one of the newest Class 40's around. They started 10 minutes behind us. I'm thinking they owed us at least an hour at that point. Breeze was mostly 7-10 knots, but to the advantage of the C40, I think, we flew a Code 0 for 20ish miles of that 50nm.

Latest posts