New Boat Search

Charsel

After selling my Frers 36 in January, 0-4 in getting a replacement. Frers 30, Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1 all had issues and compromises. 

Came across 1985 Avance 33 in Texas. Norlin designed, so narrow beam but light. On the lines of Aphrodite 101 or BB10m, but with 6'2" headroom. Pretty much redone over 2 years, pics look good, and wifey likes.

Found little info on the web, anybody have any knowledge about what to look for, how they sail (could be light to medium wind rocket, for the era). Any PHRF rating?

Thanks for the help.

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Just looking at the photo and your comments, I'm guessing 140-150 PHRF. 

Edit:  Hah!  A brief look pops up one in PHRFNE that rates 150 150 159.

Misbehavin'

Denmark
After selling my Frers 36 in January, 0-4 in getting a replacement. Frers 30, Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1 all had issues and compromises. 

Came across 1985 Avance 33 in Texas. Norlin designed, so narrow beam but light. On the lines of Aphrodite 101 or BB10m, but with 6'2" headroom. Pretty much redone over 2 years, pics look good, and wifey likes.

Found little info on the web, anybody have any knowledge about what to look for, how they sail (could be light to medium wind rocket, for the era). Any PHRF rating?

Thanks for the help.
Avance 33, Aphrodite 101 and BB10m are in no way similar, trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:

puffpuffpass

We sail against an Avance 36, Frers 36, Sabre, C&C and others...can correct over the Frers but not able to beat physically.  The others we've done both.  We have a CAL33-2 ('87) with 6'2" draft.  Bought for beer canning, distance and doublehanded races and the family.  It's done it all.  Not a rocket ship at 132 but ton of fun, well-prepped and doesn't break the bank to buy sails (which we've done).  Ping me if interested in taking a look. 

jgulli4d

image.png

Staffan

Sweden
You can find the list of standard boats in the swedish rating system SRS here. https://matbrev.svensksegling.se/Home/BoatList
Avance 33 is in the list together with many more boats, i believe the ones you compared to as well. The system gives a very good idea of the potential of the boat. You find the SRS for full crew with spinnacker  in the fourt column from the right, without spinn in the third from right, and then the equivalent shorthanded SRS.  

Sailed on one several years ago. 

As I recall, it went upwind in 12+ knots like a rocket, pointed like a tour guide.   Comfortable in a seaway, but when you are pointing really high an a somewhat narrow boat, that is to be expected.   It was underpowered in the really light stuff and slower than masthead rivals, especially downwind against Cal 33 and Frers 30.

Loved the tiller.  The cockpit was a little tight for full on racing, but deep and secure for deliveries. Never on it for a cruise.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal

Thanks for the help.
The big questions are what were the issues and compromises you found when looking at the replacements? What is the set of requirements for the new boat?  Why'd you sell the Frers 36?

I ask because all boats are a compromise, and all used boats have issues of some kind  ;)

Charsel

You can find the list of standard boats in the swedish rating system SRS here. https://matbrev.svensksegling.se/Home/BoatList
Avance 33 is in the list together with many more boats, i believe the ones you compared to as well. The system gives a very good idea of the potential of the boat. You find the SRS for full crew with spinnacker  in the fourt column from the right, without spinn in the third from right, and then the equivalent shorthanded SRS.  
Thanks for the info. Didn't know it existed

Charsel

The big questions are what were the issues and compromises you found when looking at the replacements? What is the set of requirements for the new boat?  Why'd you sell the Frers 36?

I ask because all boats are a compromise, and all used boats have issues of some kind  ;)
Sold Frers 36:

Crew hurt or family obligations (babies);

COVID job loss ( now working, and much happeir job and money);

Downsizing.

The 9.1 was stripped by owner, everything from interior in garage, foredeck hatch plywood;

Seller of Frers 30 installed roller furling wrong, lots of water intrusion (survey), engine leaked water/coolant, and composite sails could be used as collander, tiller shattered during sea trial;

Cal 28-2 engine didn't run (not disclosed), hatches didn't seal;

J 30 electrcal system shot (not disclosed), but owner spent $15-20K on new sails;

Cal 33-2 water intrusion, soft cabin sole. 

Parameters for new boat: 28-33' with all lines back to cockpit, good PHRF performance, 6' headroom with some wood below, no porta poti, full galley, shore power. After Frers 36, must point well and sail fast

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
So you need a "good" Frers 30 or S2 9.1.  :p   I sold my 9.1 to an Airline guy down in Tampa back in 2014.  I'd put a bunch of work into the boat, and so did he.  It should be a great boat now.  Always made me look like a better sailor than I was.  Frers 30 has always been on "my list" but they are hard to come by, and I suspect many "put away wet" though that can be applied to many (not all) J-30s as well.

Good luck with the search!  How far are you willing to travel to find a good boat?  FL can be "hard" on boats...

Charsel

So you need a "good" Frers 30 or S2 9.1.  :p   I sold my 9.1 to an Airline guy down in Tampa back in 2014.  I'd put a bunch of work into the boat, and so did he.  It should be a great boat now.  Always made me look like a better sailor than I was.  Frers 30 has always been on "my list" but they are hard to come by, and I suspect many "put away wet" though that can be applied to many (not all) J-30s as well.

Good luck with the search!  How far are you willing to travel to find a good boat?  FL can be "hard" on boats...
9.1 is our preference, but this Avance 33 would fit our needs.

We're looking as far West as Houston, as far North as Annapolis. Got a quote for slip in St Pete............................$730/month

Charsel

Hopefully looking at a Cal 28-2 on a lake in Knoxville. Would be trucking home, so anyone have transport co. recommedations? Boat details to follow. Maybe Holy Grail is upon me.