New Bottom Paint for San Diego

This really is not about gear, but hope to get San Diego specific advice.

My dive service (Pressley) called me yesterday to let me know that after Nov 1 they may not be able to dive my boat due to new pollution control laws instituted by the SDPA. That's okay, because although I don't like the irritatingly bureaucratic attitude of the SDPA the bottom is 2 years old and due for renewal. Too, I understand and appreciate the push towards environmnetal protections.

So what do SoCal owners & divers reccomend? Given that my current bottom is going to be completely stripped off I'm not really concerned about the cost of the paint; that will be minimal compared to the overall cost of the job. My dive service reccomended a modified hard epoxy - Interlux international Ultra Plus. What else have you seen that works well locally? Weekend sailing only.

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
it's not supposed to sand like paint

it's not paint

thats the point of difference

it will sand as you'd sand a layer of resin, lightly would bring a fresh surface up

BeerPal

soma said:
Bump. Petite Vivid? Petite Trinidad? How about a graphite additive for burnishing? Any other advice?
Are you in San Diego? Divers there are prohibited from cleaning any paint that creates a "plume" of color when cleaned. That rules out Vivid (and virtually all other ablatives.) I'm a big fan of Trinidad.

BeerPal

soma said:
I am in SD. I just heard that hard wasn't allowed and soft was the only option...hmmm.
You have been misinformed. From the UPOSD in-water hull cleaning regulations:

No Person shall perform In-Water Hull Cleaning that results in visible paint plume or cloud.

https://www.portofsandiego.org/environment/copper-reduction-program/policy-development-and-legislation/in-water-hull-cleaning-policy.html

The reality is that there is no restriction on the paints themselves, only on cleaning that creates a plume. And in fact, if you are cleaning your own boat, you aren't even bound by that. Only professional hull cleaners are.

Last edited by a moderator:

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
soma said:
Bump. Petite Vivid? Petite Trinidad? How about a graphite additive for burnishing? Any other advice?
Are you in San Diego? Divers there are prohibited from cleaning any paint that creates a "plume" of color when cleaned. That rules out Vivid (and virtually all other ablatives.) I'm a big fan of Trinidad.
In San Diego and been using Trinidad for 16 years. Only problem is some yards are fairly insistent you use their "house paint" and will charge you retail for Trinidad.