New Chick On The Block

MR.CLEAN

Not here
21 year-old solo racer Katie Miller is the newest member of the elite cadre of English solo women racers that have come on the scene since Ellen Macarthur invigorated the discipline with her stunning singlehanded performances. Katie just announced a two-year deal with software company BluQube that will cover her 2009 OSTAR bid as well as get her to the line of the 2010 Figaro European Champs – a hell of an achievement for a university student at any time, but even more so now that sponsor dollars have been drying up everywhere. Whether her performance is as good as her ability so find money remains to be seen.

Katie says that Sailing Anarchy is the first thing she checks every morning, and she's agreed to do an Innerview with us next week. Since you SA readers always come up with great questions, how about posting them here? We'll pick the best ones and see what the young Katie has to say.

Photos courtesy of Katiemillerracing.com

3/4/2009

KMYR_0121.jpg

081002_ML0093.jpg

SBS08d_M0410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TimClark

Super Anarchist
NYC
How is she planning on balancing school and the campaign? What past experiences did she promote when she was searching for sponsors?

Nojonareach

I think that this is fantastic. Good on her for being so inspired by the other top British female sailors and in turn inspiring other young girls to take up the sport. I wonder whether more women are taking up short handed / single handed sailing because other divisions of the sport are so full of male Male chauvinistic attitudes....i know id rather sail with my other half than a boat load of hairy arse bastards...no offence boys!! :)

Buckie Lugger

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Katie's aiming for the 2016 Vendee.

Does she plan on spending the next four or five years in the Figaro class before trying to step up into a 60, or will there be something else, such as a Class 40, in the interim?

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
1. What was her early experience? What boat did she learn on and what has been her progression through boats so far?

2. Who has been the most important influence in her sailing life so far?

3. Who career in offshore sailing would she like to emulate?

4. If she had the chance to sail in the TJV this year, and could choose anyone to crew for, who would it be?

5. Does she speak French?

6. Where is she going to base herself out of?

7. If you look at the panapoly of skills needed to be a successful offshore racer (sailing, boat building, sleep management, navigation, sail making, rigging, fund raising, marketing, etc.) what does she think are her strongest skills, what are her weakest and what is she doing to strengthen her weak skills.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

racing ron

Anarchist
Hamble - UK
She was one of the speakers last weekend at the Petit Bateau Solo sailing forum. I was impressed with how well she came across - she had to ad lib while they were sorting out computers for her presentation and she was great at it.

Think she'll have a tough Ostar (is there any other kind) and be really interested to hear what she thinks her prospects for the race are now that it's run on IRC (I think it was previously run in boat length classes) and how she rates the competition.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Solar, that question gives a lot of insight, the Figaro is a very tough nut to crack. Will take yrs to be good in that.

Most sponsors do not have the time for that...

So if she gives a straight answer, you know her knowledge.

If she gives bullshit like I can do it and win we know PR got the overhand.

Racing ROn, good IRC question, that sucks :) Was the last not run on IRC already ?

Last edited by a moderator:

KRC

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
If it's not too late to add...

+1 for how do you balance sailing and studying, two activities that to be successful in either takes up most of your time?

What inspired you to start solo racing?

What advice would you give to someone who wanted to pursue a career in solo racing?

giantprodder

21 year-old solo racer Katie Miller is the newest member of the elite cadre of English solo women racers that have come on the scene since Ellen Macarthur invigorated the discipline with her stunning singlehanded performances. Katie just announced a two-year deal with software company BluQube that will cover her 2009 OSTAR bid as well as get her to the line of the 2010 Figaro European Champs – a hell of an achievement for a university student at any time, but even more so now that sponsor dollars have been drying up everywhere. Whether her performance is as good as her ability so find money remains to be seen.
Katie says that Sailing Anarchy is the first thing she checks every morning, and she's agreed to do an Innerview with us next week. Since you SA readers always come up with great questions, how about posting them here? We'll pick the best ones and see what the young Katie has to say.

Photos courtesy of Katiemillerracing.com

3/4/2009
Cool. SA should support her in every way possible. With others paving the way for her we can only admire such tenaciousness and pugnacity. Rock on gurl!!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Thanks for keepin' it real, hoom. Anything else for the young Ms. Miller? I hope to speak to her by the end of the week.

Thanks for keepin' it real, hoom. Anything else for the young Ms. Miller? I hope to speak to her by the end of the week.

If you could wish her all the very best of luck in her sailing ambitions and it was very good to see her out in the Garmin Spring series last Sunday. Oh and ask her to smile more... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

joebrown

It'd be interesting to know what and how much of an involvment katie has had in her campaign. From what I've seen and heard it doesn't seem to be much. She's lucky enough to have a huge team, not too far away from Offshore Challenges, which have helped do alot of the work so she can get on with her uni work. But this is just observation and a bit of scuttlebutt from the pier view so would be interesting to hear fromt he horses mouth.

Ask her what she make of her new competition, Hannah White, as pointed out at the solo festival they're nearly exactly 4 years apart. I personally can't stand Hannah, she's a real stuck up bitch who was making such a fuss over katie's claim to be the youngest entrant into the OSTAR. With the help katie's had from some of the top sailors, she really has no excuse to let Hannah beat her!

I like Katie, she's a true down to earth chick. Rumours from my mates at uni with her are that she's a lesbien, sounds good to me! lol

j x

It'd be interesting to know what and how much of an involvment katie has had in her campaign. From what I've seen and heard it doesn't seem to be much. She's lucky enough to have a huge team, not too far away from Offshore Challenges, which have helped do alot of the work so she can get on with her uni work. But this is just observation and a bit of scuttlebutt from the pier view so would be interesting to hear fromt he horses mouth.
Ask her what she make of her new competition, Hannah White, as pointed out at the solo festival they're nearly exactly 4 years apart. I personally can't stand Hannah, she's a real stuck up bitch who was making such a fuss over katie's claim to be the youngest entrant into the OSTAR. With the help katie's had from some of the top sailors, she really has no excuse to let Hannah beat her!

I like Katie, she's a true down to earth chick. Rumours from my mates at uni with her are that she's a lesbien, sounds good to me! lol

j x
A very inappropriate comment dickhead. May all your shits be hedgehogs. What right have you got to speak of someone sexual orientation? Crawl back under the rock where you came from. Would love to meet and have a quiet chat some time...

mad

Super Anarchist

j x
Fucking inbred Pier View troll

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
OH, if you interview Miss White, ask her how well she prepared her mini transat quali course, and what the result was.. was a bit of a disaster... So my support goes to Sam Davies, she needs all the cash these unproven sailors get...