New England Salsa Braid

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
Anyone been able to splice this line? how did you do it ? very dense line not like any other single braid that I have tried.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
Samson Control DPX is a lot easier to work with for similar price/performance. The braid is just like Samson's dyneemas.

I did a couple of eyesplices in Salsa using a lot of teflon splicing tape (that kind of lubricates the start of the bury). If you don't need anything near the splice to be held in a cleat it's easier to splice in some dyneema to the Salsa braid (1/4" dyneema passes pretty easily inside 3/8" Salsa Braid), then put your eyesplices into the dyneema. I did that for the split mainsheet on my 505, it was a lot easier (and a little lighter) to do the split part of the splice in dyneema than Salsa.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
Alex thanks, I was going to use it on the traveler. I have DPX on the main sheet and love it but was looking for less fuzzy line to run easier through the smaller blocks. Samson needs to do more colors for the DPX that are not so hard on the eyes and whats with the size of the line, the 3/8 is as big as every other 1/2" line. very hard to get the tail to bury on salsa. will probably just tie the ends. need to up size the blocks and then use DPX.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
My traveler has Regatta Braid (similar weave to Salsa) and I didn't bother to splice it either, there are just some bowlines. I had some other Regatta Braid in other locations and did splice it, but it too is a pain.

Sizing on DPX seems true for me, maybe you got some that was incorrectly labeled? My mainsheet is 3/8" DPX, and was replaced because 7/16" XLS Extra didn't fit through my blocks. I have DPX in 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" on various spots on the boat.

USA190520

Super Anarchist
Long, thin, seizing wire puller and a pre tapered bury and bees wax- and time, and patience,

The bees wax acts as a lube and also keeps the random little fibers that hang up in tight-

Only line worse is swiftcord- nothing swift about splicing it

RImike

Super Anarchist
Newport RI
Long, thin, seizing wire puller and a pre tapered bury and bees wax- and time, and patience,

The bees wax acts as a lube and also keeps the random little fibers that hang up in tight-

Only line worse is swiftcord- nothing swift about splicing it
Swiftcord must be like Bzzz line

Merit 25

Super Anarchist
VA and MD USA
Salsa doesn't flatten out as much as DPX and is less snag resistant. It's a different animal to splice, but the same techniques apply. Pre-tapper and use wire, don't use fids.

Nothing really wrong with any of the lines mentioned. I prefer the way salsa feels and it screams through blocks.

I've spliced swift cord, it's terrible. Worse than salsa. And bzzz line I don't think I'll even try. I've seen it done, but rarely worth the effort.

Latest posts