I am very happy to see that my "thing" inspires many comments.
Basically Toby Heppels article on thedailysail.com explains very well the general ideas.
We have now been sailing for over a year with our upgraded 18.
It works very well now :
- we are able to gybe easyly on the wings when the wind is more than 12 knots
- with a small rig 17 + 7 sqm (on the big mast) we fly in 20 knots of TWS
- we are learning the veal heal and are going upwind 14 kns at 55 TWA
- the boat weighs 220 kg (it took + 25 kg changing to foils)
- FOILING IS FUN !!!!
To be more polyvalent for the lake races the boat lacks performance in none foiling conditions, the 18 hull is not the best shape in light wind conditions
So the basic ideas of the new machine where
- keep the rig and wings and bowsprit (new sails though)
- keep the foils (optimise position)
put away the 18 footer hull and replace it by
- a slender hull for non flying conditions (50 % of our sailing time)
- gain as much weight as possible to lift off as soon as possible
But today I still do not know what would be the best hull shape (straight line performance vs stability)
But I was sur to be able to build the lightest frame work possible with standsrd tubes ( from C-tech Newsealand)
Building a monocoque straight away I was afraid to build from "shed to shred", that is the reason to have seperated the two functions
First we will fit a catamaran hull (the upper 2/3 rds choppped off) as you can see on the computer renderings, lenght 28 feet width 1.5 feet, with completely round sections - no idea weather we are able to stand up more than 1 second .but ..If it works it should really improve light wind performance (minimal wetted surface ) and that would be our polyvalent standard set up
this hull will weihgh 30 kg
To hget the numbers right
mast and sails an bowsprit and boom 40 kg
structure 35 kg
foils tiller extensiosn etc 30 kg
rpoes clams etc 5 kg
wings 18 feet (no C class here) 15 kg
total ideal flying weigth 125 kg
catamaran hull 30 kg
crew 240 kg
total sailin weight 395 kg
other ideas include
- two inflated round bananas 3 kg each
- rapp the whole thing in some film
- buils lighter hull with no sandwich but air presure indide etc
i will try to inform fromtime to time on evolution on our blog :www.jundt.ch/mirabaudlx
(yes we bought helmests)
View attachment 71931
Would you describe your craft as a sportsboat? I don't think you mentioned any self righting abilities...