New Headsail: To bypass furler or use it?

Hello, 

We're speccing a new 155% headsail for our Pearson P26. Dimension polyant tri radial laminate material. 

It's equipped with a twin roller furling system. 

The question is: is it worth the extra hassle to bypass the furler and tack to the deck, or should we utilize the furler and sacrifice the extra sail area and speed? 

Thank you!

Justin

- SV Rhumb Runner P26 #1635

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Are we talking about a Pearson 26 like this? If so, I would go with the furler and make it a 160%.

image.png

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
If you’re not going offshore or racing PHRF, I’d just stick with the roller furler and enjoy the boat. You won’t need to tack the tack down to gain a few extra feet of airflow across the sails. Go have some fun!

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
As soon as you bypass the furler you need a set of headsails, like the boat would have had when it was new. No1, No2, No3 possibly No4. Then you have to put them all somewhere...

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I think he'll take a penalty if he makes the genoa larger than a 155%.  It may be worth it, I'm just saying it's something to be aware of.

We have a Tartan 27 that flies an oversized genoa. They outsail the penalty and beat up on everyone in their class.

Hey y'all, 

Thank you for the responses. I will take a penalty over 155% since I am racing PHRF. I haven't considered a bow watch yet but will think about the bluetooth camera as a solution. If you can see under the sail, that's lost sail area in my mind. 

Yes @Bull City we have a P26 just like that! Sail #1635. 

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Thank you for the responses. I will take a penalty over 155% since I am racing PHRF. I haven't considered a bow watch yet but will think about the bluetooth camera as a solution. If you can see under the sail, that's lost sail area in my mind.  
To echo what @Ajax said, in the 1970s I raced & sailed on a friend's Tartan 27 on Biscayne Bay. He too had a 170. He would reef the main before he would take it down.

Regarding lost sail area, if it's down low, I wonder how effective it is in terms of horsepower per square foot. I suspect it's low.

Can you fly an asymmetric?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Regarding lost sail area, if it's down low, I wonder how effective it is in terms of horsepower per square foot. I suspect it's low.
AIUI, the issue with raising the foot of the genoa is not the lost sail area.  It's the lost endplate effect.