New imoca boats

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
Probably foamed epoxy but could be machined foam.  But its a poor design from what one make out of this pic and believe this was ATR in-house design. Rather optimistic.

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
When you cut up a foil you get the carbon dust over all the cut core, whatever it is - but right at the back the white bits look like epoxy foam.

There was a better res pic originally where you could see the construction for the shear web.

Ekkki

While watching the video of the Grand Prix Guyader posted by huey2, believing it was a video of this year, I just noticed a detail that I hadn't seen the first time. In fact it's a video from last year and we can see that Paul Meilhat has a "hybrid" foil on his boat SMA. Seemingly, after looking at the pictures of other races, this solution hasn't been validated.

SMA02.jpg SMA01.jpg

Having found nothing on the forum about these foils, I just found that :

http://www.courseaularge.com/foil-hybride-a-lessai-sma.html

Call me skeptical but For HB such a high profle boat in this day in age, there seems to be no pics of the 'broken foil' that was the 'reasoning HB didnt beat BP 

I think the broken foil was a smoke screen to hide the fact that BP was just a faster boat

jonas a

Super Anarchist
"A partnership agreement has been made with the International Monohull Open Class Association (IMOCA), which provides the exclusivity to use the IMOCA 60 for crewed round the world yacht races."

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/12065_Agreement-will-see-IMOCA-60-boats-in-next-race.html

I am not sure that is good for either single handed or crewed round the world races. It's an arms war now.
Has been discussed quite extensively on the "Vor auction thread"

DtM

Super Anarchist
Out of the Office
Call me skeptical but For HB such a high profle boat in this day in age, there seems to be no pics of the 'broken foil' that was the 'reasoning HB didnt beat BP 

I think the broken foil was a smoke screen to hide the fact that BP was just a faster boat
Are you insane ??

There are endless photos of the missing foil during the race. Not detailed ones but it clearly is not there.  You are an idiot.

Are you insane ??

There are endless photos of the missing foil during the race. Not detailed ones but it clearly is not there.  You are an idiot.

Ok so im insane because I hadn't seen a pic of the broken foil and couldn't find one on line anywhere...humm not sure that classifies as insane nor an idiot. Instead of spending all day hiding behind a keyboard and being a tuff guy by slinging insults in the security of your own home I was out doing some yachting playing ball with my kids you know real life stuff.

Pretty sure you wouldnt be quite so hasty to call me a idiot if I was infront of you. But hey flame and insult away if you're boyfriend thinks ur the man cos u insulted a guy online over a broken foil then dont let me stand in your way tuff guy :)

still dont see how the vor will foil semi foil whatever with all the extra weight the build and crew requires.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama

You're skeptical.

Correct I was but now I've seen some pics I'm not. Case closed?? Or should we thread drift this into some keyboard warrior slanging match from the safety of a few thousand miles...seems pointless 

littlechay

Super Anarchist
Nelson
Correct I was but now I've seen some pics I'm not. Case closed?? Or should we thread drift this into some keyboard warrior slanging match from the safety of a few thousand miles...seems pointless 
It says in your interests "Yachts yachting yacht design" but you hadn't seen a photo of that broken foil.. If you were interested at the time you could not have NOT seen the images, or perhaps you have just become interested and have missed out on some entertaining history. :)  

Honestly couldn't find a pic anywhere, none of my yachting mates had either. Couldnt find any an hr ago either. Im Getting the impression this anarchy place is just an excuse  to give random people shit for kicks. Instead of actually talking about yachting or being a g.c. its a ego stroking beat up...and over a foil again seems a bit silly...

As you where kids.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts