new mini, who says it needs to be beautifull

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Don't multis use a rudder rotation sensor on the mast to add/subtract mast rotation to wind measurement?

Probably the easiest way with the lights would be to have red over green (360°) at the masthead and sidelights - IRPCS 25c.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Correct Ed about the multi, imocas and minis with rotating spar using a sensor, easy to do. but that foil is hinged rotating. Maybe a bit more tricky to get a sensor to work.

The red over green lights is a good one.

Overall a minor problem I reckon :)

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Correct Ed about the multi, imocas and minis with rotating spar using a sensor, easy to do. but that foil is hinged rotating. Maybe a bit more tricky to get a sensor to work.

The red over green lights is a good one.

Overall a minor problem I reckon :)
Actually, it looks like there's a black mast up the middle of the forward foil. Which doesn't, AFAICS, need to turn. So simplifies instruments and lights,

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Ed, i think the mast part rotoates, but I can be wrong. NOt experienced with this kind of setups :)

Ps lover your classic.

13412097_1040312212723796_7923758356321832141_o.jpg

Bruno

Super Anarchist
No, Headstay is to a fractional take off - see the pics at the top of the thread.

Good eyes LeoV - but is that "bump" under the dagger case articulation real, or just another bit of Graphics that looks 3D?

Without the time to look elsewhere it looks suspiciously like a sibling of the smallest red sphere just above the case fairing at the front...... possibly ?
Site shows masthead, which it has to be for reefing.

Wish I'd known about the red over green a year ago.

Amazing the way they plane.

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Ian Lipinski on the Scow Proto has won the Mini Fastnet Line but the overall winners must be the Horde of Pogo 3 series boats in a Pursuit Pack

4773-672x372.jpg

6877-672x372.jpg

Longman

Australia
A few scow questions for people.

Do you think a fixed keel version of maximum would work? Would still have water ballast but for offshore only

I know you can't cant the keel to leeward in the light to reduce wetted area by heeling the boat. I know that Remi Fermin (741) went very well with his fixed keel glass boat.

What I'm getting at is if you are going to do most of your racing around the bay (legs usually between 1-4NM) would you loose to much by having a fixed keel. Also not racing class.

The next option would be to have a single dagger-board on the center line with a canting keel rather than twin boards.

Looking at 741 it looks like a good light simple boat. This seems to perform better than a complex boat.

It's always hard just looking at results with the skipper being such a big part of a boat performance.

Puntone

Italy
Interesting rig. Is that the first soft wing sail on the class?

On the class , yes .

A lot of years ago , a friend of mine in Antibes ( France ) has designed , builtand rigged himself a spectacular small trimaran with a soft wing

Last edited by a moderator:

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
It would, but you would wind up with a heavier bulb to achieve the same righting moment, whereas if you're doing buoy racing it is simple enough to pin the keel centerline and keep the boards up.

Single dagger board has been proposed as a fast solution, but it isn't as efficient as having asym boards, and not much heavier.

The weight and complexity of a classic canter seems to be worth it, although the ultra-complex "3D" keels have fallen out of use, and time will tell if canting foils/soft wings will stay in the class.

HW

A few scow questions for people.

Do you think a fixed keel version of maximum would work? Would still have water ballast but for offshore only

I know you can't cant the keel to leeward in the light to reduce wetted area by heeling the boat. I know that Remi Fermin (741) went very well with his fixed keel glass boat.

What I'm getting at is if you are going to do most of your racing around the bay (legs usually between 1-4NM) would you loose to much by having a fixed keel. Also not racing class.

The next option would be to have a single dagger-board on the center line with a canting keel rather than twin boards.

Looking at 741 it looks like a good light simple boat. This seems to perform better than a complex boat.

It's always hard just looking at results with the skipper being such a big part of a boat performance.

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
SAS 2016 start video but they are now out in the Nth Atlantic after sneaking around shipping lane Lipinski doing 14knts the rest doing 8-11