New Moth revealed

Cool. I like saving money! Ha.

Im amazed at all of the little things about sail trim/tune that I thought I knew from displacement dinghys and keel boats, but I really don’t know.

Thanks for the tip on the sail. I have one really old sail and one semi-old sail. I was thinking about looking for a less old (maybe new if I can get deal when we order big boat sails) sail this winter. Nice to know I don’t need masts, etc. I can keep sailing what I have and learn.
just to add to phil, latest sails have very good range so most guys are ok with 1 rig, but a stiffer and a softer rig (or as phil said just softer top to deopwer) just better manage the extremes.

but as I said, it is just stuff for the pros, all of us are ok with 1 rig. At the worlds some of the top10 were with 1 rig and were fully competitive.

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
Most new designs start racing today at foiling week. It will be interesting to see a big fleet with Dylan in the Aerocet, some good guys in the Biekers (goodie, simon hiscocks) and Ruggi in the Manta. looking at entrants I do not see top guys in the new exploders, I guess we will need to wait for the Euros to see them streamlined and fighting for the good positions.

I'm working today and tomorrow, I should join the race on saturday.

Michele

Last edited:

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
Have a good race Michele and keep us posted!

Fun short weekend, just 2 days for me, but great parties (great organizzation by Luca Rizzotti and Fraglia Malcesine) and good racing.
On my side, saturday I was a bit rusty, yesterday I finally felt great. I's a pity we just did 1 race, I finally rememberd how to sail and race. Let's hope I can do Euros

some highlights:
- people coming from the UK seemed the most "ready to race". the whole group of Dylan/Jacobsen/Hitchcocks was very polished and with very well setup boats. Dylan taking it to the next level with sensors over the boat, etc. Matthias coutts from down under was a real surprise to me! perfect boathandling and great speed. Goodie was out of the podium cause he had some foil issues, otherwise would have been there.
- of the boats present there, biekers seems the overall more tuned package. It seems like most people with biekers is now going to "normal" verticals (are long verticals days over?) and they overall seem a tad faster downwind than other designs here
- aerocet looking real well made (no surprise here, maguire is a guarantee), dylan made it look fast, but hard to judge the overall performance, being just him there.
- manta had a new proto big foil (ruggi sailed the whole event with this big). Overall ruggi seemed very fast upwind, especially in the light, biekers probably faster down.
- Few exploders there, no very top guys, but 4example Michael Lennon was sailing pretty well with it. I did not speak though with anybody on them, so I have no real feedback.
- Mix of other designs in the top10.. Buhl in exocet, Bridle in the Thinnair, and Michael Shonleitner with the rocket. I am particulary happy for Michael, really well made!

Last edited:

barney

On the fly adjustable prodder is something that gets mentioned more often these days in the ads. Has anyone here seen it in person? How does that work? What sort of range does it have? How much of a purchase does it need?

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
sorry do not remember details about purchase. I've seen various systems at the worlds, all pretty basic. thin rope pulling forward on the prodder, which then goes down the mast and on the wings. Another purchase added below so it goes 4:1, but I am not really sure.

the chat was that it gives some marginal gains in the 8-12 knots, where the long prodder gives more shape dw, keeping good the efficiency upwind, but not everybody used to agree.

Just watch out in the way you tie/attach the blocks to the mast. in front of my eyes a mast (ex Kyle's boat) exploded, and we concluded that it was due to the dyneema used to tie the block below the spreader, which basically cut the mast.

Swedish National Champs, which I can’t find the results after day 1, going on now, and worlds in a few months, what’s everyone’s thought on where the new Exploder, Aerocet, and Swift Moths will stack up with the Biekers? When I bought my boat I said I’d keep it for 2-3 years, then get a newer boat or get out of foiling. I’m in love with foiling so it’s leaning towards new boat territory. I really like the idea of the Swift and that the designer Luca is my height and weight. With skis I found I liked gear that was designed for the pros who are my size, and being a bigger dude I have to find gear that fits me. I’ve heard some complaints about the tramps on the Biekers being narrow. Can’t really find any info about the Aerocet and Exploders yet, I’m sure we will get more info during worlds.

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
aerocet and xploders platform are definitely a bit easier than the biekers, with more "working space"on deck.

speedwise in my view all are getting pretty similar, just in my perception the biekers still have a little speed advantage downwind, due to foils.

buildwise I've seen pretty well the new aerocet and I gotta say that in my view maguire quality and attention to detail is unmatched. expensive but wonderful boat.

no idea about the swift. looks supercool, but there is none in this hemisphere yet, so I cannot judge.

also beware of the arg worlds results. I suspect Dylan fletcher is going to dominate, but he may be the only superstar who actually do a proper preparation for the regatta. there could be a lot of top sailors missing (goodie, slinsby, goobs, ruggi etc)

Thanks for the link Jethrow.

Mika, I figured ARG worlds would be a sparsely attended by the rock stars, hence why I’m keeping an eye on Swedish NAs, and watched closely British NAs and Euros. North American Champs hasn’t been scheduled yet but fingers crossed it will be before AM ships their boats from Pensacola to Barcelona. That will be an interesting regatta to watch with goodie, slingsby, and the rest of AM hopefully there, on top of me who they will not be able to keep up with cause my Mach 2.3 is going to be super fast, haha, I’m going to get crushed, lol.

I thought I saw a few swifts were shipped to the Northern Hemisphere, guess I missed that.

It’s interesting to learn about how the aero gains are minimal because the hydrodynamics still make such a huge difference. I’ll have to do more research about the drag causes by water compared to air.

Anyone have any hands on time sailing an Exploder? Or know anyone who has been putting time in on an Exploder?

I’m starting to explode the option of getting a new boat and the Exploder has made the short list, along with the Bieker.