New Photos of HUGO BOSS

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Super Anarchist
Looks pretty wicked, a bit out there from conventional Imoca 60s, but then they seem to be changing massively every generation. Wonder how long till he breaks this one.

On a related note, does anyone here have the high-res, head on shot of the old HB with the kite up and smoking along on her own? Want it for my new desktop at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeT2

OK, I think the hull looks cool but, the cabin(s) look really weired. A friend of mine mentioned that it would be a little more attractive if the cabin was completyely across the transom of the boat with some type of weird forward cocpit......Ok stupid idea I know but, he is a powerboater.

Is there a purpose for the unique cabin(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
I think they want control lines to come straight back into the cockpit so hence the flat bit in the middle.

Then the helm has protection on either side of the cockpit when outside, although presumably you want to be on the high side. DOwn below I presume by raising the height there is a gap opened up underneath to stack even more heavy crap or something that these guys move around every tack and gybe apparently.

Previous HB had a similar split cabin arrangement but not quite as extreme as this one.

zeglarz470

New York
Whos the designer?

Those cabins on the side sure compromise cockpit room.

Speaking of which that is quite a small cockpit for an Open 60, something like a VOR70 would look sweet.

junior_ratt

Super Anarchist
Au Large
Speaking of which that is quite a small cockpit for an Open 60, something like a VOR70 would look sweet.
And totally fucking useless. The 60's are meant for 1 person (2 max) to be able to handle everything. Hence the tiny cockpit (which, from what I can see, is an excellent set up for solo, everything is within reach) A VO70 style cockpit for single handing and you'd end up running a marathon every time you tack.

The problem I see with this cockpit is that the bit between the doghouses looks like it'll channel waves and launch them about chest/head hight across the cockpit as soon as you get green water on deck.

Looks pretty wicked, a bit out there from conventional Imoca 60s, but then they seem to be changing massively every generation. Wonder how long till he breaks this one.

On a related note, does anyone here have the high-res, head on shot of the old HB with the kite up and smoking along on her own? Want it for my new desktop at work.
You mean this one?

hugo boss.jpg

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Whos the designer?

Those cabins on the side sure compromise cockpit room.

Juan K is the designer, and give me one reason you would compromise cockpit room for shelter on what is predominantly a single-handed boat?

zeglarz470

New York
And totally fucking useless. The 60's are meant for 1 person (2 max) to be able to handle everything. Hence the tiny cockpit (which, from what I can see, is an excellent set up for solo, everything is within reach) A VO70 style cockpit for single handing and you'd end up running a marathon every time you tack.

The problem I see with this cockpit is that the bit between the doghouses looks like it'll channel waves and launch them about chest/head hight across the cockpit as soon as you get green water on deck.
At least give them some room there.

socalsailor38

Anarchist
So Cal

At least give them some room there.
its for one fuckin person, there's no need, ask any vendee skipper, they would much rather have interior than extra space to run around above deck

tr1plet

I saw it tonight in the North Cove of Battery Park City in New York. Noone on board, just a couple of sails on the dock. I took a picture with my phone, but it is mostly dark.

Does anyone know what it is doing there?

Kalumder

Hamble, UK
here is a video of the new boat in action. Compared to the old Finot Hugo Boss, and other open 60´s she looks a lot heavier in the water... Like a powerful snowplow. Will be interesting if this gamble pays of. Will the boat break more easily due to the increased loads? Is she just at easy to sail to her full potential as the new boats... time will tell

speedfloat

looks like an awesome cockpit set up for solo racing. stacking looks well placed as well. easier to shift sails from side to side without having to hump them over a cabin top.

socalsailor38

Anarchist
So Cal
here is a video of the new boat in action. Compared to the old Finot Hugo Boss, and other open 60´s she looks a lot heavier in the water... Like a powerful snowplow. Will be interesting if this gamble pays of. Will the boat break more easily due to the increased loads? Is she just at easy to sail to her full potential as the new boats... time will tell

she is. If I remember correctly almost 7k or so more than the average 60, but had taller rig to offset that

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
the healm is more protected by both the cabin and the spray rail? in front of the cabin but it is also very far in from the rail. I would have thought it would have been better to be out farther. With some kind of board as protection. Like they did on a few of the maxi cats. I know they are looking at compromises, weight and function vs. all out best but he will be awful close to centerline.

billseagull

WLIS
I saw it tonight in the North Cove of Battery Park City in New York. Noone on board, just a couple of sails on the dock. I took a picture with my phone, but it is mostly dark.

Does anyone know what it is doing there?
I stopped by yesterday, and they told me they were over here for some sponsor obligations. They are headed up to the Hamptons for some press, and then back across the pond.