New Rambler

daskew

Anarchist
Alta UT
^^^ The value accrues to the insurance company who may now claim (based on physical evidence), their insured has nothing to do with the failure!

Abbo

Super Anarchist
yeah I doubt the scrap value of the bulb would exceed the cost of recovery. But why would the insurance company wait so long, almost 3 years, to retrieve the strut to do their investigation?

Last edited by a moderator:

prime8

SF Bay
Why would the value be in the bulb? Lead is cheap and you can cast your own in a backyard with normal household equipment. The bulb is not much of an engineering challenge because it bears little load way out there on the end and there is no incentive to make it light. That makes it likely irrelevant to any investigation. The strut is almost certainly more valuable scrap and information.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
15-20t of lead at a maximum of $1.00 per kg = a few bucks!

No value in a broken fin.
This is not about salvaging some tin - the cost of salvage would easily be much more than the value of the metal
Yep. This is all about the engineering value of seeing how it failed, and most of all, it gives the insurance company a fighting chance of passing the bill on to someone else.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
yeah but why wait three years?
Possible they didn't locate it until now. Maybe a trawler snagged it in net, which gave them an idea of location?
I'm guessing that's pretty close to the real answer. They probably got a solid location after someone stumbled upon it, and decided it was now cost effective to go get it.

Rushman

FIIGS
Melbourne, Aust
Some degree of error is probably the reason for the distance from where Rambler capsized.

It looks like they cut the bulb off, I assume this happened on the ocean floor.