New to me swept spreader rig for my build

ride2live

Depending on the interior structure it might not be a great idea to move the chainplate attachment points. Changing the angle of the spreaders might be easier. You need advice from someone who knows what they are doing and can look at your mast and boat.

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy
R2L pretty much beat me to this. 

Where does the plan for the boat indicate the shrouds & stays should attach?  Likely it is better to modify the rig to in-line &/or planned swept angle than it is to modify the boat to match the current rig configuration.  Spreaders can likely be easily modified to be used either swept or in-line.  If shrouds & stays are too long, probably easy/cheap to shorten appropriately.  

Care to share the story of how it fell in your lap?  I saw something about a 40-something Hunterish boat in the Mississippi that didn't have a mast.  Any markings or name on the spar?  

Last edited by a moderator:

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
The hunter 40.5 rig is a swept spreader rig with a split backstay with inboard shrouds . Bruce  Roberts 44 is straight spreader  rig with outboard shrouds. so you have two choices use the stick and change it to straight spreaders which will require new  longer spreaders or use the rig as is and find a way to mount chain plates in the proper location for the hunter rig. 

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Beer: Nope, I don't know anything more than you know. Roberts boats can be all different boats.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
General rules of thumb that may or may not apply here.

When making changes and you have a choice, do whatever is easiest to return to original condition.

Modify the least expensive part.

Keep us posted.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
I have acquired a 53' two spreader (swept) rig from I believe a hunter 40.5.

While not my ideal it has dropped into my lap and I would love some advice. I wish to turn it into a cutter rig. Mast placement on my boat has a j measurement of 18'6". My boat is 44' long. My question is...

My plan calls for a cutter rig with a 53' mast and a rake of (I believe) 18". Will need to confirm. 

Where do I place the three contact point chain plates? 

Do I go straight down and then rake the mast? Do I go straight down then back 18" for the rake? Please help. Need to place these plates as new to me mast going up in two or three weeks. 

Any input would be appreciated 
Wow, unless you really know what you are doing, you need professional guidance. A hunter 40.5 can't be a super stiff boat and your boat is bigger so loads in the masts might end up higher... It is a bit of a worst case scenario but you might need more spreaders to reduce panel lengths to compensate... the profile might even not be strong enough!

Bespoke

What kind of yacht is this? Sounds interesting. 

A Hunter 40.5, his best bet would be an alcohol fire or paying a crane operator to drop it 
I would agree but would not want ot offend hunter owners. 

The mast is OFF a hunter. 

It is a b&g. If you did your homework you would agree that they have many attributes.  At $3500 for complete  53' rig and partner. Renewed standing rigging, new running rigging, decent sails with years left on them. Furlex furler. Boom with vang and stack pack yes do the math.

Insured slightly above the $3500 I paid so lighter fluid is an option. 

I think I will keep it:)

Bespoke

The hunter 40.5 rig is a swept spreader rig with a split backstay with inboard shrouds . Bruce  Roberts 44 is straight spreader  rig with outboard shrouds. so you have two choices use the stick and change it to straight spreaders which will require new  longer spreaders or use the rig as is and find a way to mount chain plates in the proper location for the hunter rig. 
I will be using the rig as is.

As the offshore 44 has never been commisioned not having to put on the required chain plates and only dropping the two plates and integral support beneath makes it an option cant be turned down. 

This rig dropped in my lap. 

Its total self support and inherent stand alone structural integrity means as long as side deck plates are bullet proof (and like the fore and aft, they will be) it is guaranteed to work better than hanging a sheet

Bespoke

Depending on the interior structure it might not be a great idea to move the chainplate attachment points. Changing the angle of the spreaders might be easier. You need advice from someone who knows what they are doing and can look at your mast and boat.
Never had any chain plates installed. Moving will not be an issue as where they will be placed will be the first installed. 

I have left my salon wide open and unfinished for the day I finally found a rig.

This one dropped in on me like a gift. After five years of intermittent searching. 

And...

It landed unplanned in the yard right next to my boat. Took it as a sign. 

If you have never searched for a mast you have no idea the pain it is to find what you need where you need it when you  need it.

My plan called for a two spreader rig 53'6". This one is 53'3".

I would have probably bought the spar alone for $3500 never mind a sail away complete rig with new running and renewed standing rigging sails boom and furler.

Beggars can't be choosers and nearing completion of a 44' sailboat trust me...

I am at the begging stage 

Bespoke

R2L pretty much beat me to this. 

Where does the plan for the boat indicate the shrouds & stays should attach?  Likely it is better to modify the rig to in-line &/or planned swept angle than it is to modify the boat to match the current rig configuration.  Spreaders can likely be easily modified to be used either swept or in-line.  If shrouds & stays are too long, probably easy/cheap to shorten appropriately.  

Care to share the story of how it fell in your lap?  I saw something about a 40-something Hunterish boat in the Mississippi that didn't have a mast.  Any markings or name on the spar?  
Hahaha sure.

I am in the pacific north west. 

The hunter it came off had a fire in the cabin. Insurance chose to write off instead of rebuild. Mast deck stepped fire contained to inside. No damage to anything out side. Probably should have taken entire boat but too much on my plate. The boat was hauled at a place where I worked. Waited for successful bider/salvager to come collect and I was on him like stink on a bear.

Caught him by surprise and got a great door crasher deal. 

Right place at right time.

Bespoke

Beer: Nope, I don't know anything more than you know. Roberts boats can be all different boats.
Maybe some one is impersonating you?

Or long long time ago and you used to know more:)

Just teasing you.

Can you shed any light on this old page?

I have the original magazine from the day this boat was first offered. 

Screenshot_20211130-155734_Chrome.jpg

Bespoke

General rules of thumb that may or may not apply here.

When making changes and you have a choice, do whatever is easiest to return to original condition.

Modify the least expensive part.

Keep us posted.
This is great advice!

The least expensive is definitely drop two new chainplates on deck and utilize fore and aft stays.  Stay tuned. It will be standing and ready for launch by years end. 

If I can figure how and where to post pics I will. 

Bespoke

Wow, unless you really know what you are doing, you need professional guidance. A hunter 40.5 can't be a super stiff boat and your boat is bigger so loads in the masts might end up higher... It is a bit of a worst case scenario but you might need more spreaders to reduce panel lengths to compensate... the profile might even not be strong enough!
Wellll

I would have to say...

Its hard to know anything unless you know for sure. 

We have an on-site ship yard. Fellow running it has to say the least... been around. 

We have a fabrication shop.

Many many high ticketed team members. 

I have been a marine engineer on many many commercial endeavors where many may engineering firms have assured us many many things would be alright. 

We all know the answer. 

The ocean environment can be brutal and WILL given the right circumstances take down ANYTHING man can build. 

Its her nature and her pleasure to have you enjoy you days floating listless about.

Then she eats you.

You are right in super stiff cause extra forces.

The hunter weighs in slightly over 19000 pounds. 

Bespoke tips the scales at 29000 according to plans. Will know for sure when she rides the cradle. Should only get sketchy in strong winds. No plans on any wild excursions just work her in and see what happens. 

Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

Better tho when followed by luck:)

Good luck

Bespoke

This could get expensive. 
Ever built a custom 44' boat?

No could about it.

That said...

I bought for $15000, put about another $35000 in had surveyed last month $75000 value. All systems and electronics were in boxes on boat at time. Encouraged to have resurveyed within a year as value will be north of one hundred. 

If mast falls down or blown off who knows. Cut her free over the edge and in for a brand new replacement. Deck mounts for b&g may work for baby back stay is it? On the cutter rig straight spreaders which my original plan called for. So onward I  am out $3500 few scratches and dings to repair?

One thing we all can agree on is that there are more sailboats leave Harbour that shouldn't due poor maintenance and poor seamanship that take the risk of a catastrophic disaster of any number of things.

I have been on the sea earning my living and trying my best to keep safe.

I am actually looking forward to this adventure 

Lord only knows what value the pucker factor will be. 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I have re-built a 46’ cutter, so it does get expensive. You finishing the build at a good purchase price and doing the sweat equity will take more, but not much. Having a good job(money) and are handy(labor), then you will succeed, even if you have to get another rig and sell that one. Don’t ask me how I know…

How about some pics so we can see the dream in the making? We have all winter to see the progress!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts