New vs old Weta

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Was down at the boat yard today and had a chance to look at one of the new Weta side-by-side with the older models.

The current Weta in the photos is #1025, shown at the Pac Sail Show, and the older one is #740 currently raced out of Richmond YC, CA.

Hull to deck joint on the new model is distinctly beefier. New on the left, old on the right.

IMG_20150413_111544.jpg IMG_20150413_111556.jpg

IMG_20150413_111228.jpg IMG_20150413_111334.jpg

Rudder upper gantry is a separate piece compared to the old integrated into the deck mold. Slight hardware change on the rudder attachments.

IMG_20150413_111904.jpg IMG_20150413_111430.jpg

Ama/Aka attachment point is different with sealing done using a soft compound and a reenforcement pad.

IMG_20150413_111207.jpg IMG_20150413_111349.jpg

Aka beam joint is much cleaner and has a better overall finish

IMG_20150413_111252.jpg IMG_20150413_111346.jpg

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Ama now have vertical joints hidden under non-skid with much more fair finish.

IMG_20150413_111217.jpg IMG_20150413_111339.jpg

IMG_20150413_112004.jpg IMG_20150413_111954.jpg

Some nifty tramp attachments.

IMG_20150413_111304.jpg IMG_20150413_111409.jpg

Yard dolly has been changed and beefed up. Note lack of bungee for the mast.

IMG_20150413_111515.jpg IMG_20150413_111441.jpg

Non-skid is different.

IMG_20150413_111642.jpg IMG_20150413_111656.jpg

And of course the foredeck now has a rib for added stiffness.

IMG_20150413_111821.jpg

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Overall the boat has a much higher level of fit and finish. The lack of a visible hull joint on the amas looks very good. The size and shape of the hull/deck joint would lead me to believe the new model is probably a touch heavier overall, but the layup schedule may be different, so we'll have to wait and see. Good looking product and kudos to Weta Marina for improving a great design.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
looks like they skimped on the sandpaper for the hull/deck joint...
Yeah. Not a good finish there. Also, now the "notch" is missing from the bottom of the hull just behind the drain plug. As you'll recall we added the notches to prevent rudder cavitation on the early boats. The production Weta's that followed had then from the factory. The new boat was clearly made using a new set of tooling, so maybe the hull bottom has a bit different shape to prevent cavitation. Hard to tell.

IMG_20150413_111456.jpg IMG_20150413_111418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MoMP

Super Anarchist
Boston, USA
As a strict one design, I'm glad to see improvements that seem to add to fit, finish, esthetics and logevity. I assume they both weight the same within tolerances. Nice job Weta!

MoMP

Super Anarchist
Boston, USA
As a strict one design, I'm glad to see improvements
?
Yep, it's exactly the same.............only different. ;)
-MH
What, what??? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that is a serious performance enhancement. Things like the deck rib isn't going to provide an advantage short term. The boat will stay stiffer for longer. Nothing in the pictures above that would steer me away from the class. He'll, a two your old set of sails is going to have a much more pronounced influence that all of the above combined by twice.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
As a strict one design, I'm glad to see improvements
?
Yep, it's exactly the same.............only different. ;)
-MH
What, what??? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that is a serious performance enhancement. Things like the deck rib isn't going to provide an advantage short term. The boat will stay stiffer for longer. Nothing in the pictures above that would steer me away from the class. He'll, a two your old set of sails is going to have a much more pronounced influence that all of the above combined by twice.
You were right the first time. They have just made the fit and finish more refined, and enhanced the durability of the boat. I'm assuming that since they built new tooling they have also made the production process a bit more streamlined. The only thing that would change the performance of the boat, that I could see, is possibly the weight. But judging by the 2015 Wetafest results, the new boats compete evenly with the old boats.

We've found out here in SF that weight really isn't a big factor in overall race performance (within reason). At 200lbs soaking wet, I tend to do better in light air (<10kts), than my buddy Gordon who is about 150lbs (if he eats). He on the other hand does his best work in heavy air (>15kts). A 50lbs difference on a 200lbs boat would seem like a huge performance advantage/disadvantage, but that just doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that sail trim and boat handling are the importance factors. So I'm thinking the new boats, whatever the subtile differences, are going to perform the same as the old boats. Just a better looking package and more durable.

I didn't have a chance to look at the sails, but new boats come with North Sails. My guess is they are exactly the same as the old sails with maybe some different stitching and reenforcement areas. I'm hoping they reworked the jib a little. The older design is very flat and hard to get in the groove.

The mast appears to be the same on the new boat. It would be interesting to take a few of the mast in the yard and see if they have the same stiffness.

Tom Kirkman

Anarchist
In order to keep the current one-design class intact, I doubt Weta is going to change any of the major physical aspects of the boat that determine actual performance or speed. Doing that would make the older boats no longer competitive, effectively dividing a class that has yet to reach sufficient size to be able to withstand such a move. Thus, these small changes were limited to aesthetics, fit & finish, streamlining manufacturing, etc.

LakeBoy

Random Internet Guy
So, when did the changes come into effect? (hull #, model year) Was it a big bang at a point in time or the result of continuous improvement?

Remember back to the originals and the change over to carbon foils?

Last edited by a moderator:

USA 007

Anarchist
Lake Lanier, GA
I have hull 1000, which is the first boat out of the new tooling. I've sailed and raced both versions and really can't tell the difference. At WetaFest last week, 1st, 4th, and 7th were "new" boats, and the rest were from the "old" tooling. We sailed in a range of conditions from 5-15, and I couldn't see any performance range that benefitted either boat. The "new" boats had North sails, and the others all had the Gastra sails. Again, no difference in results.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
I have hull 1000, which is the first boat out of the new tooling. I've sailed and raced both versions and really can't tell the difference. At WetaFest last week, 1st, 4th, and 7th were "new" boats, and the rest were from the "old" tooling. We sailed in a range of conditions from 5-15, and I couldn't see any performance range that benefitted either boat. The "new" boats had North sails, and the others all had the Gastra sails. Again, no difference in results.
Congrats on the win. Well done.