New vs old Weta

teamvmg

Super Anarchist
As a strict one design, I'm glad to see improvements
?
Yep, it's exactly the same.............only different. ;)
-MH
What, what??? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that is a serious performance enhancement. Things like the deck rib isn't going to provide an advantage short term. The boat will stay stiffer for longer. Nothing in the pictures above that would steer me away from the class. He'll, a two your old set of sails is going to have a much more pronounced influence that all of the above combined by twice.
It's just that if it was a 'strict one-design', all the members would have been balloted and knew that the changes were coming.

I am someone that was once protested for haveing too many telltales on my mainsail by the way!

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
It's just that if it was a 'strict one-design', all the members would have been balloted and knew that the changes were coming.

I am someone that was once protested for haveing too many telltales on my mainsail by the way!
Depends on the class and the rules. You don't get much more one design than the hobie 16 but if you compare a 30 year old hobie with a new one about the only thing that hasn't been updated is the hull shape.

MoMP

Super Anarchist
Boston, USA
As a strict one design, I'm glad to see improvements
?
Yep, it's exactly the same.............only

What, what??? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that is a serious performance enhancement. Things like the deck rib isn't going to provide an advantage short term. The boat will stay stiffer for longer. Nothing in the pictures above that would steer me away from the class. He'll, a two your old set of sails is going to have a much more pronounced influence that all of the above combined by twice.

Too many chefs in the kitchen never works long term. Suggestions, yes to an extent only.

What was the argument about too many tell tales? That's stupid. I'd think if anything they would theoretically slow you down if anything...

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
from those bow detail shots

it looks like the prod is a smaller section?

a little cheaper, lighter, more flexible?

can't imagine any of that would be bad

Nor'Banks

Duck, NC
The prod is the same size and is identical to the pre 2015 boats. Mike makes a great point that the sailors are still winning the races. Hull's number 362 and 254 placed 2nd and 3rd in a very competitive fleet at Weta Fest. For anyone wanting to see the 2015 in person, we will be at the Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show, April 24-26.

Jon Britt

Nor'Banks Sailing

Pewit

Also, now the "notch" is missing from the bottom of the hull just behind the drain plug. As you'll recall we added the notches to prevent rudder cavitation on the early boats. The production Weta's that followed had then from the factory. The new boat was clearly made using a new set of tooling, so maybe the hull bottom has a bit different shape to prevent cavitation. Hard to tell.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20150413_111456.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20150413_111418.jpg
Would the early boats mentioned have had one of the earlier rudder types (Casette, Dotan) and could this have caused the cavitation?

Pewit

When I tested a 2015 boat in Auckland, Roger Kitchen told me that with the change in manufacturer they have refined the production process so that the new boats weigh about the same as the old (depsite some additional materials) due to changes in the layup which also produces more consitant weight overall.

Overall the boat has a much higher level of fit and finish. The lack of a visible hull joint on the amas looks very good. The size and shape of the hull/deck joint would lead me to believe the new model is probably a touch heavier overall, but the layup schedule may be different, so we'll have to wait and see. Good looking product and kudos to Weta Marina for improving a great design.

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
some of the first weta made carbon rudders

had 5mm? thick trailing edges

mine never cavitated

but it did hum + vibrate at certain speeds until the over-thick gelcoat was filed down to get a 2mm trailing edge

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts