New ZIM ILCA's

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Robbie,

First of all congrats on the VXOne regatta.  It looks like you got the top prize.

Second, have you reached out to Zim to let them know what you think?  All of us should be of the frame of mind to help a boat company to improve its product as it benefits all of us.  Maybe it's already been imparted to them but constructive criticism from customers or people with first hand knowledge of the issues would have to help.
I have not.  I know the dealer and have talked to him.  With no skin in the game at this point I'll sit back as I'm pretty sure Kurt and the parents are in contact with ZIM.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Defiantly let us know, (or just let me know ;-) ). 
Will do!  I'm sure that I'll be helping to unload them from the trailer and one of the owners isn't around town yet so I'll be the custodian and can look it over.

Should I start a whole new thread, "Ovington ILCAs" ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:

torrid

Super Anarchist
I remember when I was in college in the early 90s and went to a sailing store that was also a Laser dealer.  They had a brand new one sitting on the floor for like $2500, maybe a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I remember when I was in college in the early 90s and went to a sailing store that was also a Laser dealer.  They had a brand new one sitting on the floor for like $2500, maybe a little more.
Some of my favorite memories was Can Am Sailcraft in Cambridge, MA., I think it was Skip Whyte's shop.  Tons of windsurfing gear but in the second room were sunfish and Lasers stacked on their transoms.  So impressive.  As a kid, it was heaven.  My brother got a new sunfish from there and my step-mother didn't see the need to tie it to the roof of the wagon (my father was at work) but we insisted that it was an important step.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Not builders, but 4 different "builds" which is a first and pretty exciting for sure!  Wanted to get that correction out in a "nice" way before one of the disgruntled LPE folks says something rude...
I don't care what they have to say about some semantics.  A boat builder is a boat builder (I've been one) even if they have to build to a very strict build tolerance which is a good thing.  

I for one do not care for all of the back and forth.  I spent 1hour 15minutes on a Notice of Race zoom discussion for our fleet last night.  In typical fashion, those who are helping with updating the NOR are in the front of the fleet and want the racing rules, drops, ...etc. to benefit the longtime sailors in the pointy end of the fleet.  I for one, being one of those sailors, don't care for that attitude.  I want the rules to support those just getting into the sport and who make up the majority of our fleet.  The rules should always support and reward participation, not performance, the performance people will always have the speed to fall back on.  The reason I say all of this?  If people are whining about the nomenclature of builders and not figuring out ways to support and grow the sport of sailing, then their opinions matter very little to me.

Tirade over...

But I will add that I opened the digital copy of the ILCA magazine last night.  How frickin' cool to see all of those happy little advertisements from all of those retail locations advertising their different ILCAs, rigging, and accessories.  It feels like Xmas looking through that magazine.  It feels like the dawn of something new and exciting.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
I opened the digital copy of the ILCA magazine last night.  How frickin' cool to see all of those happy little advertisements from all of those retail locations advertising their different ILCAs, rigging, and accessories.  It feels like Xmas looking through that magazine.  It feels like the dawn of something new and exciting.
I know.  Wasn't it?!?!  I'm seriously eyeballin' a new ILCA for my Grand Master graduation present this year.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Charleston area ZIM dealer High and Dry Boatworks took delivery of 10 ZIM ILCA's in late March.  ALL are sold with the next delivery coming in June.  

After seeing the boats this weekend and talking to the dealer both of us agree these boats are just like all the older boats that are ILCA legal.  

It was funny for me as I stood there looking at the boats and thinking, "Wow.  There's nothing different, (outside of the gelcoat finished deck to hull connection) and while it was a bit anti-climatic I'm pretty sure that's the point.  If it's a true OD class it SHOULD BE anti-climatic!  

$7,300.00 appears to be a "Basic" race ready rig, but nothing fancy.  No carbon bits and some of the rigging lines are thicker than what's "preferred, (just like in the good'ole LPE days).  It also looks like one of the outhaul package blocks was missing from every boat which is obviously a learning curve thing from the factory folks.

On boat has reported a leak which is currently being problem solved by the dealer but it's looking like a bailer related issue.  I didn't ask if they installed the "new screwless" auto-bailer I've heard about.

Kids have been sailing 4 of these rigged as 4.7's and outside of the leaky one everyone seems very happy. 

So there's the report folks.
Just a follow up.  The leak in the one boat was isolated to the bailer and has been fixed.  All local owners are reportedly very happy.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Just a follow up.  The leak in the one boat was isolated to the bailer and has been fixed.  All local owners are reportedly very happy.
That's good to hear that the customers are happy.  

We have our truck arriving on or around May 24th from West Coast Sailing.  Looking forward to checking out the Ovington ILCAs! 

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Laser sailors however deserve better than Chinese crap 
Unless you have evidence that these boats have a problem, your comment is simply prejudiced rhetoric that is baseless. Some of the best built, most technically advanced boats come out of China and there are world class boatbuilding facilities there.

So let's have some honesty. If you are saying that you have an issue with buying a product from China, irrespective of quality, are you applying the same logic to other countries? Is your real problem with China ideological?

Wess

Super Anarchist
Unless you have evidence that these boats have a problem, your comment is simply prejudiced rhetoric that is baseless. Some of the best built, most technically advanced boats come out of China and there are world class boatbuilding facilities there.

So let's have some honesty. If you are saying that you have an issue with buying a product from China, irrespective of quality, are you applying the same logic to other countries? Is your real problem with China ideological?
Apparently you are both an idiot incapable of reading.  Try to phone a friend and they can read to all the things OTHERS have already said were wrong with these boats.  Oh and have a nice day.  :)

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Apparently you are both an idiot incapable of reading.  Try to phone a friend and they can read to all the things OTHERS have already said were wrong with these boats.  Oh and have a nice day.  :)
Well, there was a photo of one with a cleat on backwards while still in the shop. And there was one with a leaky bailer that Robbie spoke to. The And then there was Julian B’s glowing report and reference for the builder. What other comments based on actual experience are there? I phoned a friend and he couldn’t help. He must be an idiot.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
So that confirms that it's just prejudice, because I have read and there really isn't anything to justify your comment saying they are crap. Have you really never heard of a leaky bailer on a new Laser/ILCA before? I have seen new Lasers that were built by LPE that had fittings rip out first time out and that had leaks. So, at best, you are trying to hold these boats to a very different standard. Robbie reports all is well and that the owners are all very happy, but that certainly isn't good enough for you. 

Latest posts