New ZIM ILCA's

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
OMG guys.  Let's get this back on something Wess can really sink his teeth into.  It's time for my "Daily Wess poke" anyway.

So, ILCA-NA is taking some time getting the new website up which is making it difficult to find out the status of your membership.  Mine was expired so I re-upped.

Annual dues have gone up $5 to $50.  You used to get a $5 discount, (or $10 total) if you re-upped for 2 yrs.  While that is gone you can select "auto-pay" to renew your membership and save $5.

So, as an ILCA "representative" at the "entry level" of a D12 secretary I'm expecting my kickback to hit around Christmas time.

Here we go.  In 3...2...1..... 

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
So few lemmings, so much time...

If you love China go move there and or buy their shit. 

I double dare you LOL.
Chances are if it has plastic on it or in it there are at least China components.  What cell phone do you have?  I was in that industry and back in 2006 every damn one of them was manufactured in China.  Even RIM said they would "never" go to China but they did that year.  The re-man locations we in places like Hungary. 

Wess

Super Anarchist
Chances are if it has plastic on it or in it there are at least China components.  What cell phone do you have?  I was in that industry and back in 2006 every damn one of them was manufactured in China.  Even RIM said they would "never" go to China but they did that year.  The re-man locations we in places like Hungary. 
Why is this so hard or even controversial such that its a fun trolling topic.  If you want to go there or buy there go ahead.  Ain't nobody stopping you. I avoid Chinese products when and where I can.  Just like I avoid corporate and try to buy from local business when I can.  I really do laugh at all the snowflakes that make this about bigotry (like I or anyone else cares what they think).  Imagine if Dave up at Fulcrum made ILCAs.  That would be my first stop.  Even if it was more expensive. The quality would be better than Zim China and he is a local US business.  Pretty sure his and my political views would be night and day different but that is where I would buy.  Period.  So you and the others can make this about whatever you want and believe whatever you want.  And yes I admit its fun to troll you on the cheap Chinese crap point but that is because you make it so.  This idiocy should have died long ago but by all means lets continue to talk about ILCA and its cheap Chinese crap that sucks so bad they can't manage to mount a bow fitting correctly, or outhaul hardware, or, or, or... all according to YOU!  Odd how Ovi boats don't have these problems.

My gosh you lemmings are your own worse enemy sometimes.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
Wess is typing his/her posts with a Commodore 64 or Radio Shack TRS80 to ensure 100% US-made down to the plastic! No scary, pesky Chinese associated with that hardware! 

At least it's easy to find a used 100% US or 100% Canadian made Laser (maybe with some hardware produced in Europe) for a great price that provides a perfect on the water distraction from our present global economy. :D

Wess

Super Anarchist
Better keep you "IMO" disclaimers in here.  Remember when the SA boys got sued by the "big" (IMO) guy?
You are cracking me up. It’s YOU that posted the pics and list of quality defects no? All I can do is offer an opinion that I am shocked just shocked. NOT. I would never have even looked at them as I try to avoid buying Chinese crap. And even in this snowflake world I do get to decide what products to buy and which to avoid. Gettin a bit desperate here aren’t you?

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
You are cracking me up. It’s YOU that posted the pics and list of quality defects no? All I can do is offer an opinion that I am shocked just shocked. NOT. I would never have even looked at them as I try to avoid buying Chinese crap. And even in this snowflake world I do get to decide what products to buy and which to avoid. Gettin a bit desperate here aren’t you?
I didn't post any picks.  Just honest reporting on my first had experiences with the new ZIM boats, some of the owners and the local dealer.

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
I avoid Chinese products when and where I can.  Just like I avoid corporate and try to buy from local business when I can.
Those two things are similar on one level and fundamentally different on another.

You either have the mental clarity to tell the difference, or you don't.

That's all.

Unfortunately, there's a very real human impact to the inability to tell that difference. People amplify dog whistles because they are not very bright and/or because they are complicit... But the distinction is pretty blurry. The resulting stochastic terrorism is damn real.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Just BTW, I buy a lot of their (China) "shit" specifically because even at 4 times the price, you just can't get it elsewhere, others just don't have their "processes" in place.

But to call it "shit" is a fallacy, the new spreader arms we are getting, courtesy of the Cycle industry, are simply breathtakingly beautiful, in terms of design, function, strength and simplicity.    Couple that to the spreader "sprocket" and you have a part that is so much better, in so many ways, and yes cheaper than the previous US, RSA, Sri Lankan, NZ or Spanish products, that they are not even attempting to try and compete.

Indirectly we have willing abrogated our manufacturing because of the "greed disease" that so grossly grips Mercia and gave us, among other things the GFC, that we all buy copious amount of directly or indirectly of Chinese made parts that to exclude them from our purchase would mean no cars, no electronics, etc etc.

I'm present involved in another project which requires prototyping, in a few fields, and even the Australian manufacture, in this case 3D printing and circuit boards simply give us the address of a Chinese prototype house because they don't have the time or the resources to do it, let alone compete.    To design something one day and have it arrive in the post on your door step 4 days latter, it alters your whole mindset of how you approach the design process.

Even considered buying my own 3D printer, it's just not worth it, better things to do with my time.

Enjoy the world of denial!

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
I avoid Chinese products when and where I can.  Just like I avoid corporate and try to buy from local business when I can.  I really do laugh at all the snowflakes that make this about bigotry (like I or anyone else cares what they think). 
This sums up Wess and his warped attitude. I have no issue with buying locally and supporting small business over global corporate\ions. That is a choice I make based on what I believe is best for the country I live in, its future and its economy. I do it on the condition that the quality is equal to (or better) than the alternative and that the price isn't ridiculous. Yes, I will pay a small premium. All of this I openly admit and I cannot see how anybody could have an issue with this. I would not have any issue with Wess if that is what he was saying.

He thinks that he is doing the same, but he is not, because he is simply prejudiced against Chinese quality. From everything he has posted, it is clear that it doesn't matter what the product is, he won't buy Chinese because he thinks the products are inferior. Through his generalisation and prejudice, he is by definition, a bigot.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Hey Simon you forgot to add "who will avoid buying Chinese products."  But again any time you want to buy and tell us about your Chinese ILCA feel free to do so.  Or Martin, or Julian. But I bet you don't put your money where your mouth is.  BTW, I take being insulted by a bunch of morons like you as a compliment! 

And I love it even more because it highlights yet again the path ILCA is on.

Get your Chinese junk here!  Get em while they are wet (and leaky per Robbie)!

Moths to a flame.  Fish in a barrel.  So easy a caveman could do it.  And so much fun.

Bruce Hudson

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Hey Simon you forgot to add "who will avoid buying Chinese products."  But again any time you want to buy and tell us about your Chinese ILCA feel free to do so.  Or Martin, or Julian. But I bet you don't put your money where your mouth is.  BTW, I take being insulted by a bunch of morons like you as a compliment! 

And I love it even more because it highlights yet again the path ILCA is on.

Get your Chinese junk here!  Get em while they are wet (and leaky per Robbie)!

Moths to a flame.  Fish in a barrel.  So easy a caveman could do it.  And so much fun.
Many many people who make decisions have put their money where their mouth is, which is why so many products are made in China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand and India etc. Those who have no control, get upset because of their bigotry.

In the end, the minority of people who make statements which are examples of textbook bigotry (like Wess above) are hypocrites, typing their words on a device which in the very least has components made in China - no doubt naively purchased by Wess himself.

Wess, in the 'name of fun' is happy to offend with his overt racism, and in the end it doesn't matter if that racism is genuine or mock - what matters is that Wess chose to make offensive racist remarks.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Wess was at the capitol riots, of course he says this shit about Furriners. He’s scared of the FBI though which is why he held off on the racism for a couple months. They know he posts here. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce Hudson

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Wess was at the capitol riots, of course he says this shit about Furriners. He’s scared of the FBI though which is why he held off on the racism for a couple months. They know he posts here. 
To 96% of the people in the world, Wess is a 'furriner'.

To the 4% group to which Wess belongs, thankfully most are embarrassed by those who act in a racist way.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
Back to sailing and specifically the ZIM ILCA's ,I wonder if by having an established ILCA builder in China means that some of those boats find their way to the growing middle class in China and will help grow our overall sport?

Bruce Hudson

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Back to sailing and specifically the ZIM ILCA's ,I wonder if by having an established ILCA builder in China means that some of those boats find their way to the growing middle class in China and will help grow our overall sport?
Good question to focus on - perhaps not just China but all of Asia - and not just Zim in China but Element 6 Evolution in Thailand.

ILCA membership in Asia is set to continue to rise.

Nethra Kumanan is India's first woman sailor to qualify for the Olympics. That fact made India's mainstream media, helping promoting ILCA (and sailing in general) in India.

image.png

https://www.hindustantimes.com/sports/olympics/nethra-kumanan-becomes-first-indian-woman-sailor-to-qualify-for-olympics-101617812188268.html

Last edited by a moderator: