Newick Outrigger 26/Somersault 26

carlwasher

Liverpool
I am helping a friend resurrect a Somersault 26/Outrigger 26. 

The boat is named Hulabaloo and we believe it originated out of New Jersey somewhere.

We are looking for any info on:

-mast raising

-rigging specs (running and standing rigging dimensions)

-ANY info/manuals or access to present and past owners that we can gain any insight from as we progress with this project.

We are located in Upstate New York near Lake Ontario.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hula.jpg

dclayman

You scored! There was a thread in Fix-It anarchy about the crossarms and photos of a European one at the end of this page: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/209633-hard-dinks-nesting-dinks-and-why-we-like-them/&page=2 

How many of those are there?
13 were made.  I do not know if the prototype is included in that count.  It would be great if we could keep track of all and their owners or "boat husbands"  as Dick Newick called them.  We talked and he interviewed me when I bought sail # 8.  He likes to be sure all his "boat daughters"  have good "boat husbands" to care for them.

We have Ladybug, sail # 8  We are in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 

Sparky sail # ? is outside Toronto 

Seraphyn sail #? was on Lake Champlain then sold and moved to the south of France

Mini Moxie sail #? was in New Jersey or on Cayuga Lake in upstate NY

name & sail number unknown  in Sweden  

NnIsssoon sail # ? was in Quebec may have been brokered by the multihull source.

Prototype sail 1??  was in northern California and being restored

Please contact me directly.  I have a lot of drawings, some mine, and some by Dick Newick to share.  I would like to make a list serve like a small F-boat group so we can help each other by comparing notes and restoration projects.

Dave

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
Quite interesting that the number built is similar to the number of G-32's built. What were you thinking for a forum about the boats? The G-32's have a facebook page called Gougeon multihulls, but I'm not a fan of facebook. Proasailor would be good for advice on that.

How much does one weigh?

Paranda

Netherlands
I race her with an exact (in racing conf. including bedding etc.) 1000kg 

Weighed with a crane ,for a Texel rating of 1.42 and Mocra Tcf 1.20.6

With a couple of degree angle of attack on the “swiveling” daggerboard , she tracks 90 degree tacking angles on GPS

Closer on the compass...

BACA57A5-1590-417D-AB5B-D87857108219.jpeg

Pat Newick

13 were made.  I do not know if the prototype is included in that count.  It would be great if we could keep track of all and their owners or "boat husbands"  as Dick Newick called them.  We talked and he interviewed me when I bought sail # 8.  He likes to be sure all his "boat daughters"  have good "boat husbands" to care for them.

We have Ladybug, sail # 8  We are in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 

Sparky sail # ? is outside Toronto 

Seraphyn sail #? was on Lake Champlain then sold and moved to the south of France

Mini Moxie sail #? was in New Jersey or on Cayuga Lake in upstate NY

name & sail number unknown  in Sweden  

NnIsssoon sail # ? was in Quebec may have been brokered by the multihull source.

Prototype sail 1??  was in northern California and being restored

Please contact me directly.  I have a lot of drawings, some mine, and some by Dick Newick to share.  I would like to make a list serve like a small F-boat group so we can help each other by comparing notes and restoration projects.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I don't keep up with these posts, so don't know when you wrote it.   This is meant as a friendly reminder that my family still owns Dick's designs and they'for sale at greatly reduced prices.   I noticed that you seemed to be offering to share your Dick Newick plans which i hope  you'll understand isn't ethical.

Many thanks,

Pat

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Hi Dave,

I don't keep up with these posts, so don't know when you wrote it.   This is meant as a friendly reminder that my family still owns Dick's designs and they'for sale at greatly reduced prices.   I noticed that you seemed to be offering to share your Dick Newick plans which i hope  you'll understand isn't ethical.

Many thanks,

Pat
Hi Pat,

So good to see you post here. And to do it so nicely! Dick was a lucky man and his legacy should be respected.  Dick shared so much with the growing multihull community 'back in the day' and that generosity was not always appreciated. Love to see you protecting his wonderful work.

Training Wheels

Anarchist
On my boat
Hi Dave,

Many thanks,

Pat
Much respect!

MichalD

Toronto
Thanks for the reminder Pat.

@carlwasher - just saw this thread. Great to see more boats getting together with so many close to lake Ontario. Let's do a meet up when covid is come and gone? 

My mast section is 4 3/32" x 6 1/2" with a wall thickness of 0.125". I need to check height. This is bigger than Dave's section from memory. 

I have more info at home that I can send out in the next couple of days. I see you already have your mast up but I can also document the process for katchka (x-sparky) when I get it in the water in the next week or two. 

MichalD

Toronto
Dave has done a bunch of good work restoring his boat already which i think will be useful to take into account when improving our boats.

Ravenswing

Reporting in here about the prototype boat of Newick's SummerSalt design. dclayman, we'd like to get in touch with you. This boat was towed from CO to the San Francisco area a while back, and tucked in to another barn until this past weekend. She's gettin' saved and will be splashed soon. The new owner would like to get any history info he can. We found a mooring ball permit sticker from Chicago in 1987, but that's all we know. Photos and writeup of the weekend project are here:

https://cartersboat.com/2020/07/19/coming-back-to-life/

If anyone knows about this boat, please comment back here or by replying to the Ravenswing blog post

Thanks good people!

drivejunk

SF Bay
Hi all, Anton here, I have the prototype, I picked it up from Colorado a few years ago, but a bunch of family stuff happened, so I am just getting to work on the boat now. Thanks so much to Greg and all my other friends who showed up to help, kept us on task, and made it so much fun! I can't tell you how excited I am to be finally getting it together. 

The prototype has a 26' mast, while the production boats have a 31' mast, I think. Also the struts/akas/beams are round, whereas the production ones are oval at the end for torsional rigidity and strength. I would love the cahnce to see and measure a production boat sometime to compare, but I am going to just slap it together as fast and cheap as possible so I can sail it around a bit and find out if it has any fatal problems that got fixed in the production models. 

I anticipate a light, fast, hopefully well mannered boat, but we'll see, won't we? I am naming her Triple Zero, assuming the first production boat is 001 ;-)

I bought drawings from Pat, Thanks Pat!, but they are of the production boat only, alas. 

As Greg says, I would love to hear any stories about this boat, or its previous ownership if anyone knows anything. 

Anton

Last edited by a moderator: