News: Vets For Peace historic vessel departs Hawaii

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
46A9E7BA-EF57-4015-AE0E-4865DC29BD20.jpeg

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
So not a one of you skeptics could be bothered to take five minutes to read this . .

https://thebulletin.org/2021/03/an-existential-discussion-what-is-the-probability-of-nuclear-war/

or even post any of your own sources ?? 

And as to your @Sail4beer  thread drift, why is AOC so evil for favoring $ 15 min wage, or M4A ? 

And of course your attack on AOC is a distortion, taken from one of your handlers . . 

She was addressing clumsy fact-checks, and actually said . 

“If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they’re missing the forest for the trees. I think that there’s a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.” 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Ok, morally righteous PA escapee. Ok. 

As I said earlier, I read the article you posted. Once again, you claim that nobody reads your links. They are on an awareness raising trip against nukes. Go for it. Since you are a proud member of the team, I expect them to all be nuts(of course) like you, so I don’t care about their trip or their cause. I will, however, approve of our Coast Guard assisting them in case they run into trouble. 

Thanks for politicizing and dumping on your own thread. Again. 

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
I will, however, approve of our Coast Guard assisting them in case they run into trouble. 
Actually, the original skipper of the GR in 1958 was a WWII Navy Commander . . and the first time out the GR encountered major difficulty with a storm and incapacitated crew. 

A US Navy destroyer steamed several hundred miles into the teeth of a big storm to offer assistance. 

Skipper Bigelow wrote about it in his book . .   it's a good read. 

First published in 1959, THE VOYAGE OF THE GOLDEN RULE is an honest and inspiring record of a remarkable voyage and the men who made it. It is an important account of a noble action, one which focused the attention of the world and its governments on a problem that must be solved immediately if mankind is to survive.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
[SIZE=10pt]The crew morale is good despite a lot of wind and gusts (for this boat).  The rolling and pitching makes it difficult to keep your balance and cooking is impossible right now.  The crew is only sleeping on the leeward (port) side of Golden Rule, making lee cloths (to hold you in your bunk) unnecessary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]The wind vane self steering system works well, but when the mizzen sail is up, it can overpower the steering, making it necessary to use a “tiller tamer” (rope between the tiller and the side of the boat to stabilize steering).  When the wind is very strong, they lower the mizzen sail - then the self-steering works better and the rolling and pitching decreases as well.

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]They are often steering by the north star and able to turn off the chart plotter at night.

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]We’re seeing less (but adequate) wind starting tomorrow, which should allow the crew to have hot meals and get organized again.  If they need a break at some point, they can “heave to”, which will bring the boat to a stop.

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]They’ll continue north to latitude 36 before veering more easterly.

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Right now, they’re traveling at 6.2 kt (7.2 miles/hour) and have gone 360 nautical miles (418 land miles) from Hawaii. 

[SIZE=10pt]It’s about 2360 nautical miles (2700 miles) from Honolulu to San Francisco, so they’re around 15% across in 3.5 days.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The crew all say, “It’s a wonderful experience!”[/SIZE]

Reminder - you can see their progress at https://share.garmin.com/goldenrule

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Comments from supporters -[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Fred Galluccio: Great. Hope u guys r wel 

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Cynthia Massa: MAHALO HELEN FOR THE UPDATE! Thank You for forwarding the emails too :)

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Aloha Sis Captain Malinda and Captain Kiko and Crew! Im so thankful that all is well and you are making good progress as You head North. Glad to hear everyone is settled in with minimal seasickness. AWESOME Nolan is learning to navigate by the Stars. Prayers up for you and The Golden Rule to be safe, find wind, and for everyone to be happy, healthy and thankful. EPIC Voyage for you 4! Love you sis, Cyn​

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Susan Schiele: SO inspiring.  In total admiration, Susan Schiele

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Donald McIntyre: Thanks for the updates it's great. My sister is Malinda couldn't be more proud of her!

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Tiffany Anderson: Wonderful progress!  Enjoy the wind and stars!

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Jackie Barshak: Very moving (double entendre)!  Keep me in the loop so I can greet her properly in SF.

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Laura Lindberg: Wonderful progress! Thank you for updates. I’m chanting for the Golden Rule, Kiko and crew to arrive safely in SF healthy and in good time crossing the Pacific Ocean

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Debbie Skinner: So glad for a successful trip!

[SIZE=10pt]Blessings to you all from Debbie Skinner (Jamie Skinner's wife)[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=10pt](Note - Jamie was a crew on Golden Rule when they left San Diego for Hawai’I. That voyage ended when the engine failed.  Jamie has since passed away.  I feel honored to have known him!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]Kathy Evans: So stoked for you Malinda! Safe travels to all the crew! Enjoy those stars! Loving following along on the journey with you!

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Yeah, call me a bad dude for calling out those who wish ill on those who venture out on risky passages. 
Errr...one small problem. There is not one post wishing ill on the crew.  

Sir, you are a punk of the lowest order.
 Why is that oh erudite one ?

In my world,. when you act like a dick your mates will give you a nudge. In case you're a bit dim, I'm giving you a nudge fella. 

I , like some others here, did read what you linked and bothered to read up on it. Fucked if I know why when it comes with such an attitude, but I did because it's about people believing in something higher than themselves. You could do with some education on how to run a non profit but overall a good cause.

Then you add the AJ factor. Overly sensitive, defensive, doesn't bother reading responses, angry, petulant, hate filled,  jumps to pre-conceived conclusions...shall I go on?

I'll try and put it in terms you seem to use. You are just another parasite milking off a worthy cause looking for relevance, whilst in reality your prescence does them a great disservice. Everyone is a Reichista because you're too arrogant to think of people as equals and not unwashed illiterates your ego believes only your intellect can save. A quiet word in your shell like ear sport, it isn't a problem with your audience, it's you. 

I was going to donate to VfP, like I do with the returned services here at home. But with you as a role model for who I am investing in? 

Never in your wildest dreams.

Now back to AJ doing his level best to make sure Vets for Peace look like a movement of self entitled fuckwits. A reputation they have now earned not through their deeds, all because of AJ.

Bravo Mr Spokesperson, bravo. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I'm not one to pick ninnies but I misunderstood. Now they're NOT going to Iran and NK and will be doing the "Great" Loop?     WTAF?

I'm kinda stuck on the magnitude of difference.  It's more than one.  

So, stay safe and sound? Here at home?. And along the way they'll be working as Jehovah's Witnesses compared to sailing into enemy waters on a mission of peace and good will albeit 50 years late? That bunch of old retired farts trying to continue living on somebodies' teat? And you're a honcho? That fucking bunch?

This is a GOFUNDME deal, amirite?

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
I , like some others here, did read what you linked and bothered to read up on it. Fucked if I know why when it comes with such an attitude, but I did because it's about people believing in something higher than themselves. You could do with some education on how to run a non profit but overall a good cause.
Indeed it is a good cause. 

And actually, a GR sister ship did visit and protest nukes in East Asian waters. 

You are correct that I did not read much of your post. 

Why would anyone do that ? 

Did you read this (below) ?  

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Then you add the AJ factor. Overly sensitive, defensive, doesn't bother reading responses, angry, petulant, hate filled,  jumps to pre-conceived conclusions...shall I go on?
I worked all that out (and more) before the number of his posts in PA got to double figures. He suffers from the same problem that Trump has - his opinion of his intellect & abilities isn't in line with observed reality.

FKT

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
We sorted that. 

Unlike you, we are legal. 
Finally sorted that out after 50 years, right?
How about a little backstory on how the boat avoided registration for so many years and “finally” got into conformity like the rest of us legal boat owners. 

Now what is illegal about my sailboats? I don’t have out of date and state registration...

I am slightly more aware of reality than you might like

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I worked all that out (and more) before the number of his posts in PA got to double figures. He suffers from the same problem that Trump has - his opinion of his intellect & abilities isn't in line with observed reality.

FKT
And needless to add, AJ doesn't realize how Trump/Fascist-like his presentation is. The real conceit is his thinking that somehow, he knows more than we do about the nuclear risk. Doubtless true back in his day of sage on the stage with teenagers in his tiny Christian college classroom. Here, among accomplished educated grownups he is, unsurprisingly, out of place.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Imagine paying to be held captive in a classroom with him as the “Educator”.

Grew up with a sac like him. Never worked a day in his life- a constant student for 30+ years to get a Phd in marine biology. Finally, got a gig as an associate professor at a small Florida college about 5 years ago. He came back north to the club for the summer picnic and he demanded to be called Dr. HA! I reminded him that he had never called my father a doctor, with his Juris Doctor degree of law. He couldn’t handle the fact that after consuming himself with education and University, he was just another dumbass that no one listened to unless they were stuck in a desk at school. 

Latest posts