Newsom?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Stealing this from another thread:

I had not seen a path for Gavin Newsom to the presidency, until the Supremes' rulings of the last 2 weeks. Even the National Review is getting worried:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/06/gavin-newsom-is-dangerous/
Newsom’s question — “Where the hell is my party?” — demonstrated sharp political instincts. Whether because the executive branch has grown too baggy to function lately or because its recent occupants have been unable to fully control it, there has been an overwhelming sense since 2017 that the party outside of the White House is the party that has the initiative and can put points on the board. What Republicans call “wokeness” flowered under Donald Trump’s administration in nearly every other center of formal and informal power in American life. But ever since Biden took the White House, conservative activists have been the ones claiming victories. Conservative governors have been mustering innovative responses to difficult political challenges, and now the Supreme Court has given the Right big wins on gun rights and abortion. Newsom expressed the feeling that many partisan Democrats share: the feeling that they are leaderless and besieged on all sides.

Newsom also has a kind of charisma that is hard to describe to conservatives who are genuinely repulsed by him but that generates a response from important blocs of voters. While it seems like Latino voters around the country are beginning to shift toward Republicans, in California they are becoming more attached to Newsom. One study showed that Biden won the state’s Latino voters by a three-to-one margin in 2020. But, in the recall election, Newsom won L.A.’s Latino voters by something closer to a four-to-one margin.

American politics is crying out for a generational change, for some kind of renewal. Ron DeSantis cannot answer that cry for now because he’s still fighting for reelection in Florida. Which means that until November, Newsom will have free rein to make his case. He’s brazen, he’s ambitious, and he will have access to unbelievable amounts of money if and when he runs nationally. Republicans will need to be ready.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
We saw it first with Republicans, but given Congress’s inability to be effective and democratic traditions and guideposts failing us we can expect Democrats to seek the power and momentum only a strongman/benevolent dictator can bring to a nation that seems to be falling apart.

America is likely going to gyrate between populist leaders until gerrymandering is ended and voting rights restored.

I believe that within two years a sizeable percentage of Americans will believe the two party system created Donald Trump and destabilized our nation.

It ain’t just the GOP, baby.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I saw this too... so it is safe to say Biden is out in 2024?
Not looking good for Uncle Joe for '24, unless Trump wins the nomination.

He was a caretaker prez, he can't say he won't run as his administration would be immediately hamstrung, but a year from now? He may decide on a graceful exit.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Maybe Amy, but she's milquetoast
Pete? I'd vote for him.
Lizzie? too old, too left, sorry
the others? No national name recognition

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
Newsome comes across as grossly insincere. For that reason alone, he wouldn't stand a chance.

Though I haven't studied-up on her, I was surprised Gretchen Whitmer wasn't in that WaPo article because she seems to have a lot going for her.

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
Dems need someone who can breathe fire.
1656616767077.png

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I
don't like either of them as candidates.
I thought that Obama was too green to be effective. I was wrong.
I thought that no one would vote for a dolt like St. Ronald. I was wrong. Twice.
I thought that no one would vote for a wimp like GHWBush. I was wrong.
I thought that no one would vote for a moron like Dubya. I was wrong. Twice.
I never in a million years thought that people would vote for a con man, a man who admitted to being a con man over and over again. I was wrong. Hopefully not twice.
I would happily support anyone who runs against any republican at this point.
The country does need a younger POTUS. I think Biden is doing fine, considering the mess he was left, and the resistance he faces in Congress, but he's from a different era. A place where opponents fought things out at supper clubs over lamb chops and champagne (ginger ale for Biden).
Now it's bare knuckles in the basement of the Cannon building.

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
I'm willing to serve, if my Canadian citizenship and residence is not an issue. No way I'm moving to the USA, it's too dangerous.
When Trump flees to Moscow to avoid prosecution the Supremes will rule that the Constitution is silent on the location of the executive branch. Obama already proved citizenship is not a requirement, right?