Nice work, Boys

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
A judge had previously denied a permanent restraining order to a woman who was shot in the head in an attempted murder-suicide Monday, Boston 25 News reports, citing newly revealed court records. Richard Lorman, 55, shot a 33-year-old woman in the head Monday as she left work in Salem, Massachusetts, then killed himself with the same weapon, authorities said. The two had reportedly lived together in a condo in New Hampshire. The victim’s name has not been released, but employees of Doyle’s Sailmakers told Boston 25 that the victim was the office manager for their company. She had requested a restraining order against Lorman in September and been granted one by Judge Polly Hall on a temporary basis. But a month later, the judge declined to make the order permanent and dismissed the case, writing, “The Court cannot find that the defendant’s conduct constitutes a credible present threat to plaintiff’s safety.”

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I'd think that just saying :"The creep keeps calling me, showing up at my home, and work when I've asked him not to" would be enough.

I had a real life stalker. The local police convinced her to find another pass time.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
My teen daughter had a stalker she found on the internet posing as a teen also. She made an appointment to meet and I showed up. I convinced him to leave her alone. It worked. 
I would have brought a shovel to a meeting like that.

No daughter but I have nieces who attracted unwanted attention a few times.

- DSK

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Damn, that's awful.  I grew up with the Doyle brothers in Marblehead.

I don't ever want to be a judge who has to make these decisions.  Get it wrong once, and something like this happens.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
It only took a conversation. But I had the shovel as a backup plan.
I did not have a conversation with one guy who stopped his car to talk to my then-14-year-old niece; and tried to entice her into coming closer. I ran over and launched myself against his door with both feet, then grabbed him by the hair thru his window. But he drove off before I could pull him out and "have a conversation."

She wasn't about to be enticed and was actually kind of scared and rattled by my reaction, but she got the license# (I did too).

Other times, at sailing clubs for example when they came sailing with me, I politely discouraged male attention in a more socially acceptable way. Had the shovel etc ready in the trunk though.

- DSK

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
I did not have a conversation with one guy who stopped his car to talk to my then-14-year-old niece; and tried to entice her into coming closer. I ran over and launched myself against his door with both feet, then grabbed him by the hair thru his window. But he drove off before I could pull him out and "have a conversation."

She wasn't about to be enticed and was actually kind of scared and rattled by my reaction, but she got the license# (I did too).

Other times, at sailing clubs for example when they came sailing with me, I politely discouraged male attention in a more socially acceptable way. Had the shovel etc ready in the trunk though.

- DSK
"launched myself against his door with both feet, then grabbed him by the hair thru his window"

I'm trying to picture this and it's just not working....cool story though  <_<

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
"launched myself against his door with both feet, then grabbed him by the hair thru his window"

I'm trying to picture this and it's just not working....cool story though  <_<
I had much better knees back then. Left a BI-I-IG dent in his door. Could have played out less good,

AFAIK the cops never found him.

That niece dated a nice guy she met sailing, for a while. Long ago, now she's a married professional with a baby.

- DSK

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California

- DSK
I know the feeling, fortunately my encounter was comparatively mundane. I just pointed out how many really bad things could happen for him as a result of any continued attention. He said he understood and that was the end of it. Honestly, I felt a little guilty by not engaging the authorities because I thought he would likely do it again but in chatting informally with a LEO at the firehouse he made it pretty clear that would be a long road and not so easy for the daughter….so I handled it myself. If it had continued I’d have to press ahead with the “system”……fortunately that wasn’t necessary. I do still feel a little guilty though. 

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I know the feeling, fortunately my encounter was comparatively mundane. I just pointed out how many really bad things could happen for him as a result of any continued attention. He said he understood and that was the end of it. Honestly, I felt a little guilty by not engaging the authorities because I thought he would likely do it again but in chatting informally with a LEO at the firehouse he made it pretty clear that would be a long road and not so easy for the daughter….so I handled it myself. If it had continued I’d have to press ahead with the “system”……fortunately that wasn’t necessary. I do still feel a little guilty though. 

All I felt was intense rage, no thinking involved. Later on I hoped I scared him badly enough that he never tried it again. We called the cops but that was the end of involvement and she's never mentioned it since.

You're right that the system punishes the victim along the way.

- DSK

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
All I felt was intense rage, no thinking involved. Later on I hoped I scared him badly enough that he never tried it again. We called the cops but that was the end of involvement and she's never mentioned it since.

You're right that the system punishes the victim along the way.

- DSK
I totally understand your view….mirrors mine.