Nick Lidstrom of the Wings is going to retire

chinabald

Super Anarchist
7 Norris Trophies, 4 Stanley cups, got jobbed a couple of times when he should have won the Hart. Nicknamed the perfect human.

Retirement is supposed to be announced tomorrow. We are going to miss ya.

Meat Helmet

Anarchist
Respect!

IMHO, one of the top three D to play the game thus far. Big shoes to fill there. Suter would be a fine choice. Also, you have to figure Z gets the C, no?

isma

Super Anarchist
If you dont think Lidstrom is the greatest defenseman of ALL time, you are wrong.

Truly a sad day....

MS
I appreciate his 22 years and the accolades, but have to go with Bobby Orr...yes, I'm old enough to remember his rookie year and he did change the game. Lidstrom wins for consistency, but Orr was very, very special.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Random thoughts.

A startling fact hit me yesterday. When Lidstrom started with the wings, I was in my 20s.

my son who just finished his first year of college, was born the year after Lidstrom started playing on the Wings

This year Pave Bure was elected to the Hall of Fame. He started in the NHL the same year as Lidstrom, Had a HOF worthy career, retired and had the normal 5 year wait period then got elected, all while Lidstrom continued to play and win 3 more Norris Trophies. Not meant as any comment on Bure but on the length of Nick's career and how good he was up to the end.

I am sure if you looked up all of Lidstrom's defense partners you would find that other then Larry Murphy all of them had their best offensive year working next to Lidstrom. A great player makes those around him better.

I don't know if he was the best Dman ever, I don't remember seeing Bobby Orr, but I think just to be in the conversation with Orr is a hell of a level to be at.

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
Untouchable record? 20 years in the league and made the playoffs every year.

Orr was better until his knees gave out, but Nick is probably second best.

chester

Super Anarchist
Untouchable record? 20 years in the league and made the playoffs every year.

Orr was better until his knees gave out, but Nick is probably second best.
ultimately unresolvable about who was best, especially for defencemen. Orr changed the game by taking offence from the blue line to someplace no one ever thought it could go. only paul coffee has gone there since but someone has gone there. I guess Orr was a good defenceman too but what every body knows is his out of this world ability to score.

lidstrom is the archetype for defensemen: absolutely rock solid defensively whether back in his own end or recovering. his skill at doing d perfectly without taking penalties is off the charts, big minutes in all situations, a long career marked by physical durability, able to contribute on offence at the highest levels and the ability to play at the elite level for literally DECADES.

what if the hockey fairy visits you as a GM and says: "i can give you a dman made from orr and coffee or one made from lidstrom and bourque...choose"; tough choice but i think you go with the lidstrom/bourque model and give up points for rock solid d.

Thanks for playing the game, Nick...you made it better.

Tigger12

Anarchist
This year Pave Bure was elected to the Hall of Fame. He started in the NHL the same year as Lidstrom, Had a HOF worthy career, retired and had the normal 5 year wait period then got elected, all while Lidstrom continued to play and win 3 more Norris Trophies. Not meant as any comment on Bure but on the length of Nick's career and how good he was up to the end.
Pavel Bure has not been elected to the Hall of Fame--I think you are confusing him with someone else.

Question asked on local radio--if you were going to choose a defenceman in the draft, and you knew how long their playing careers would be, would you select Orr or Lidstrom? Hell of a player and a class act.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Pavel Bure has not been elected to the Hall of Fame--I think you are confusing him with someone else.

Question asked on local radio--if you were going to choose a defenceman in the draft, and you knew how long their playing careers would be, would you select Orr or Lidstrom? Hell of a player and a class act.
I did a search and everything, turns out I clicked on a link for the IIHF hall of fame.

Latest posts