nimrods

a8b

Anything ever happen with the table incident? I heard suspension from NBR events for the next 6 years but no confirmation. And yes, the feds should knock on the door. Elvstrom was right. Anarchy forever, but asinine behavior should be squashed wherever possible.
you know more than me, friend.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Imagine rolling up to a club race in a TP52 giving a shit about it.

Yeah, that's what I'm having a hard time with. Racing a TP52 in PHRF?? Really?
If you were going to use to tow a string of coolers for the fleet, that would be OK. Being a dick isn't cool in any boat

bluelaser2

CLE
Sailed at Edgewater Yacht Club in CLE last night. The PRO confused a fixed mark sailing instruction with a drop mark sailing instruction, which meant he was calling for two laps when the SI's said 1 lap. A few boats got on the VHF to clarify. The PRO than said if one more boat said one more word about it, he was gonna black flag 'em. So a skipper gets on the radio and says "I'm looking right at the instructions and you are wrong".
PRO says "identify yourself by yacht name and sail number" so the guy does. And gets the flick.

About three minutes later, PRO gets on the horn & says ahhh yea, that's gonna be two laps using the correct course number. The ejected skipper immediately calls back and asks if he can race. PRO says yes.....and with my apologies.

Everyone sails along happy because some class and adult behavior was displayed.

Until a viable race is abandoned because of a silly 30 minute time limit in light air, when a long windward leg was set. Bitching re-commences.

It's always something.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Yeah, that's what I'm having a hard time with. Racing a TP52 in PHRF?? Really?

No. It all fits. Look at the shitter mainsail. The owner is one of those douches who thinks they can buy themselves PHRF trophies. And he gets wanna-be crew who want to sail on the new hotness but lack the skill and/or tact to get into decent programs.

There was an owner in SoCal who fit this same narrative to a "T" but with an 1D48. They are everywhere. All states, all countries. Everywhere.

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
Imagine being the guy in the Columbia 9.6 and seeing this thing show up week after week

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
No. It all fits. Look at the shitter mainsail. The owner is one of those douches who thinks they can buy themselves PHRF trophies. And he gets wanna-be crew who want to sail on the new hotness but lack the skill and/or tact to get into decent programs.

There was an owner in SoCal who fit this same narrative to a "T" but with an 1D48. They are everywhere. All states, all countries. Everywhere.
You guys above are all generally correct. The owner isn't an awful guy, but the wisdom of buying a TP 52 and bringing it to Buffalo to race basically only on Wed nights is a bit absurd. Further, there really are almost no places to dock something of this size and depth, so they dry sail it. Owner is not my cup of tea, and in my view, he's not a very good sailor. He tried J70's like for one regatta I think and got completely flushed. Put him in a Lightning around here, he'd get totally crushed.

In terms of crew, there are several guys on the boat who are very good sailors, all of whom are horrified at what Tanski did.

The owner somehow seems to think he is beholden to Tanski, because for some reason Tanski has the keys to the travel lift, and they need him to launch/haul every Wed night (and the occasional other races they do, which aren't many). Tanski runs the only sailing parts retailer around here (other than the utterly pathetic Worst Marine), with a loft upstairs for sail repairs. He was at one time a rep for Quantum (and I think Ullman too). I forget the incident (there have been so many), but something happened last year, or maybe two years ago, and he was flushed from Quantum very quickly, though he still has that relationship on the company website - or at least did until someone notified the Quantum Rochester loft about it yesterday. I'm sure strong letter to follow. Tanski is the type of guy who was the reason for the creation of the MIR rule in SoCal. He likes to think he is a Group 3 because he sells boat parts, but no one is paying his ass to sail.

I've sailed with Tanski once. He was not invited back by the owner of that boat the next day. His behavior around here is well known, he's been like this for decades.

Buffalo Harbor Sailing Club, a paper club like CRA in San Diego, does a great job running races, all things considered. There's generally around 60 or so boats out this time of year. There are some damn good sailors too - Tom Lewin has won a J120 NA's and a Huron Mac overall. Mostly, it's the typical semi-casual weeknight racing for the vast majority of the fleet, some people take it seriously (like most areas, a few take it way too seriously, this being the most obvious case), most are pretty low key.

I don't sail in these Wed night races all that often. I used to, but the owner with whom I sailed has stopped racing, and I prefer Lightnings at the Canoe Club anyway, which is serious racing, a truly world class fleet. But I did sail the first race of the season - this will illustrate further the type of guy Tanski is.

I was doing main/tactics on a J105 that I sail on a couple of times a year, a fun 6-7 boat fleet. We got launched at the start. As happens, with the mix of main and jib (or JAM as they are referred to around here), the smaller PHRF boats, our 105 fleet and the rest of the A fleet all converged at the last leeward mark. We got around it, well ahead of a pack of boats from various fleets, who all got bunched up because there was a hole and a big lift for them at the mark as they all converged on port. Probably 10-12 boats in this bunch, from true 4knt shit boxes, to J111/120 and our 105 fleet's all within a couple of boat lengths of each other approaching on port, sort of wallowing. We are probably 400-500 yards ahead of the group on port going upwind and we see Nimbus coming at us all wicked up on Starboard, probably doing 12. As we all know, you can't see shit under the kite on a sprit boat when you are hard reaching, but I knew they figured they were on Starboard, so fuck everyone else. I told the crew on our boat to listen for the yelling to ensue. Sure enough, even though we were upwind you could hear the crescendo build, Nimbus could have just as easily taken everyone's transom and gone around the outside, but no, they had to jam it in there and jibe to port. I was told later on that Tanski was screaming at the competitors "YOU ALL NEED TO BUY A FUCKING RULE BOOK". Nobody was hurt and no boats were broken in that rounding, but it is that sort of shit that will get people hurt. Sooner or later, if Tanski continues to sail on that boat as tactician they will for sure fuck up and break boats, or worse, people.

It's going to be interesting to see what US Sailing does with this 69 now. I suspect Tanski is going to get smacked down pretty hard, I'll bet he gets banned for a year. As for the owner, it's going to depend on how he defends himself, but he'll probably get some sort of penalty because he's responsible for his crew.

All this for a fucking pickle dish...in a Wednesday night race....

When I was active within the US Sailing committee/board the late great John Bonds was the Executive Director. As a retired Navy Captain, he had a presence about him that just oozed respect. I can't recall the issue, but in a meeting someone was bitching about something related to some volunteer committee. John listened and said "I know the two words you really want to use about this committee, but when it comes to volunteers there are only two words you can use - Thank You."

Tanski and Kiternos need to learn this lesson.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
It's a shame to hear about this, not an uncommon kind of story though... a jerk driving people away from the sport of sailing.

If I were rich enough to have a TP-52 as a toy, I can see doing this kind of thing but it would be more fun to me, to have two of them and use them to recruit people into the sport. But cussing out the race committee is just being an ass, no excuse.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
IMHO, the penalty to the boat was too severe, toss the a-hole from competition and reprimand the owner / skipper.. if it was the owner / skipper than it would be appropriate ... no need for all this Judge Roy Bean... kicking boats out of racing just reduces boats racing.. let's promote sprotsmanship and good behavior, if the PRO has that thin a skin maybe another position on RC... and yes, I do RC about 8 times a year with stints as PRO...

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
IMHO, the penalty to the boat was too severe, toss the a-hole from competition and reprimand the owner / skipper.. if it was the owner / skipper than it would be appropriate ... no need for all this Judge Roy Bean... kicking boats out of racing just reduces boats racing.. let's promote sprotsmanship and good behavior, if the PRO has that thin a skin maybe another position on RC... and yes, I do RC about 8 times a year with stints as PRO...
partially agree, it starts and ends with the owner though. we have no idea how long a leash and for what duration he gave the idiot in question.

The Q

Super Anarchist
Nimrod MR2.jpg

JustNuts

Maryland
You guys above are all generally correct. The owner isn't an awful guy, but the wisdom of buying a TP 52 and bringing it to Buffalo to race basically only on Wed nights is a bit absurd. Further, there really are almost no places to dock something of this size and depth, so they dry sail it. Owner is not my cup of tea, and in my view, he's not a very good sailor. He tried J70's like for one regatta I think and got completely flushed. Put him in a Lightning around here, he'd get totally crushed.

In terms of crew, there are several guys on the boat who are very good sailors, all of whom are horrified at what Tanski did.

The owner somehow seems to think he is beholden to Tanski, because for some reason Tanski has the keys to the travel lift, and they need him to launch/haul every Wed night (and the occasional other races they do, which aren't many). Tanski runs the only sailing parts retailer around here (other than the utterly pathetic Worst Marine), with a loft upstairs for sail repairs. He was at one time a rep for Quantum (and I think Ullman too). I forget the incident (there have been so many), but something happened last year, or maybe two years ago, and he was flushed from Quantum very quickly, though he still has that relationship on the company website - or at least did until someone notified the Quantum Rochester loft about it yesterday. I'm sure strong letter to follow. Tanski is the type of guy who was the reason for the creation of the MIR rule in SoCal. He likes to think he is a Group 3 because he sells boat parts, but no one is paying his ass to sail.

I've sailed with Tanski once. He was not invited back by the owner of that boat the next day. His behavior around here is well known, he's been like this for decades.

Buffalo Harbor Sailing Club, a paper club like CRA in San Diego, does a great job running races, all things considered. There's generally around 60 or so boats out this time of year. There are some damn good sailors too - Tom Lewin has won a J120 NA's and a Huron Mac overall. Mostly, it's the typical semi-casual weeknight racing for the vast majority of the fleet, some people take it seriously (like most areas, a few take it way too seriously, this being the most obvious case), most are pretty low key.

I don't sail in these Wed night races all that often. I used to, but the owner with whom I sailed has stopped racing, and I prefer Lightnings at the Canoe Club anyway, which is serious racing, a truly world class fleet. But I did sail the first race of the season - this will illustrate further the type of guy Tanski is.

I was doing main/tactics on a J105 that I sail on a couple of times a year, a fun 6-7 boat fleet. We got launched at the start. As happens, with the mix of main and jib (or JAM as they are referred to around here), the smaller PHRF boats, our 105 fleet and the rest of the A fleet all converged at the last leeward mark. We got around it, well ahead of a pack of boats from various fleets, who all got bunched up because there was a hole and a big lift for them at the mark as they all converged on port. Probably 10-12 boats in this bunch, from true 4knt shit boxes, to J111/120 and our 105 fleet's all within a couple of boat lengths of each other approaching on port, sort of wallowing. We are probably 400-500 yards ahead of the group on port going upwind and we see Nimbus coming at us all wicked up on Starboard, probably doing 12. As we all know, you can't see shit under the kite on a sprit boat when you are hard reaching, but I knew they figured they were on Starboard, so fuck everyone else. I told the crew on our boat to listen for the yelling to ensue. Sure enough, even though we were upwind you could hear the crescendo build, Nimbus could have just as easily taken everyone's transom and gone around the outside, but no, they had to jam it in there and jibe to port. I was told later on that Tanski was screaming at the competitors "YOU ALL NEED TO BUY A FUCKING RULE BOOK". Nobody was hurt and no boats were broken in that rounding, but it is that sort of shit that will get people hurt. Sooner or later, if Tanski continues to sail on that boat as tactician they will for sure fuck up and break boats, or worse, people.

It's going to be interesting to see what US Sailing does with this 69 now. I suspect Tanski is going to get smacked down pretty hard, I'll bet he gets banned for a year. As for the owner, it's going to depend on how he defends himself, but he'll probably get some sort of penalty because he's responsible for his crew.

All this for a fucking pickle dish...in a Wednesday night race....

When I was active within the US Sailing committee/board the late great John Bonds was the Executive Director. As a retired Navy Captain, he had a presence about him that just oozed respect. I can't recall the issue, but in a meeting someone was bitching about something related to some volunteer committee. John listened and said "I know the two words you really want to use about this committee, but when it comes to volunteers there are only two words you can use - Thank You."

Tanski and Kiternos need to learn this lesson.
You have quite an axe to grind. would love to hear the back story. Not sure a 69 hearing on a beer can race warrants 'page 6' coverage. Guys did the crime, are paying their time.... why promote stupid? (yeah, this is SA, but really... keep your shit in your own house.)

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
You have quite an axe to grind. would love to hear the back story. Not sure a 69 hearing on a beer can race warrants 'page 6' coverage. Guys did the crime, are paying their time.... why promote stupid? (yeah, this is SA, but really... keep your shit in your own house.)
I have no ax to grind, Mr. Anonymous Internet Tough Guy. Just stating my experience with these clowns.

And to which backstory would you be referring? The one where these guys have been jerks for years?

Part of the problem with this owner and Tanski is they have never been called out before like this. For too long they have gotten way with being jerks on the race course. Tanski wanted to be Mr. Worldwide, well, now he is.

They compensate for the lack of sailing ability by having the loudest voices on the race course. Why shouldn't they be called out publicly like this? Maybe it will change their behavior, at least maybe the owner will realize he has a long way to go to start to climb back up the ladder of respect. Maybe if they issued a public apology that would be a good start.

JustNuts

Maryland
I have no ax to grind, Mr. Anonymous Internet Tough Guy. Just stating my experience with these clowns.

And to which backstory would you be referring? The one where these guys have been jerks for years?

Part of the problem with this owner and Tanski is they have never been called out before like this. For too long they have gotten way with being jerks on the race course. Tanski wanted to be Mr. Worldwide, well, now he is.

They compensate for the lack of sailing ability by having the loudest voices on the race course. Why shouldn't they be called out publicly like this? Maybe it will change their behavior, at least maybe the owner will realize he has a long way to go to start to climb back up the ladder of respect. Maybe if they issued a public apology that would be a good start.
...because you've never behaved inappropriately on a boat, right? Never threw a tantrum fit on that farr, right?