NMEA 0183 to WiFi

Mike, i like your nook simple touch... I'm looking for a replayer on the mast of m'y J92s and it seems to be a great solution on the Deck.

I cant use my iPad in a case as replayer (iregatta) with the sun its impossible.

so do you improved your nook in such conditions ?

Any idea for à solution with out any laptop on board ? Miniplex 2wi or else ? (iregatta stop android dev. and i need compass speed wind angle and else ;-)

Thanks

Thierry

sqgabriel

There's a great development going on at the UK Practical Boat Owner (of all places!) forum, for DIY Mast repeaters. It's worth a read. Amazing what you can do when you get a few enthusiasts together!

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328981

and

http://osbe.wikidot.com/

Andrew.
I am heavily involved in this project, would be really please for people to join in and give us some further requirements and feedback, the more people we can get involved the greater the skill base we can call on

Shaung

kiwi_jon

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Mikes post above got me thinking about rolling my own NMEA-wifi server and this is what I came up with.

A Raspberry Pi credit card sized computer running Raspbian (Debian), a usb wifi dongle and usb -> serial adaptor.

Hostapd turns the Pi into an access point and Muplex http://marinux.pk973.org/ which can multiplex multiple NMEA 0183 inputs and output via tcp port. It creates virtual terminal ports so there is no problem of exclusive use of data stream.

I am currently working on a website that I can access via mobile device to show the NMEA data.

Since taking that photo I have connected the server to the NMEA out of my Nexus Classic server and it worked great with iRegatta.

pi_2.jpg

canstead

Anarchist
I realize I am diverging from the requirements of the original poster, and if the most 'inexpensive' solution is desired for getting data to the iPad or iPhone, ignore my proposition.

I recently installed the Raymarine e7 on my new sailboat that has the capability of mirroring its display to any iOS device, and also supports a bidirectional link to control the chart plotter as well.

admittedly, it is a more expensive solution and extreme overkill in many scenarios. however, the ~$400 cost for the serial->WiFi links seems excessive to me and restrictive when a larger boat is considered, with the potential need to remotely display not only NMEA 0183 serial data, but also NMEA 2000, Radar, Sonar, chart plotting, autopilot ... and possibly Flir IR and camera data. I think I paid ~$1200, but then, the capabilities are far greater.

for some applications the more expensive solution might be the better investment.

just thoughts ...

daniel
The issue with this approach is that you are stuck using the Raymarine App. If you want to run iRegatta it is not open, also it is not open to parsing the instrument data to improve sailing apps in the future. Having the link as open as possible is needed to foster an environment where app developers can come up with cool stuff for the sailing market.
Sorry, just getting in on this, can you confirm that the e7 doesn't wifi nmea 0183 so I can't use it with inavx?

us7070

Super Anarchist
I realize I am diverging from the requirements of the original poster, and if the most 'inexpensive' solution is desired for getting data to the iPad or iPhone, ignore my proposition.

I recently installed the Raymarine e7 on my new sailboat that has the capability of mirroring its display to any iOS device, and also supports a bidirectional link to control the chart plotter as well.

admittedly, it is a more expensive solution and extreme overkill in many scenarios. however, the ~$400 cost for the serial->WiFi links seems excessive to me and restrictive when a larger boat is considered, with the potential need to remotely display not only NMEA 0183 serial data, but also NMEA 2000, Radar, Sonar, chart plotting, autopilot ... and possibly Flir IR and camera data. I think I paid ~$1200, but then, the capabilities are far greater.

for some applications the more expensive solution might be the better investment.

just thoughts ...

daniel
The issue with this approach is that you are stuck using the Raymarine App. If you want to run iRegatta it is not open, also it is not open to parsing the instrument data to improve sailing apps in the future. Having the link as open as possible is needed to foster an environment where app developers can come up with cool stuff for the sailing market.
Sorry, just getting in on this, can you confirm that the e7 doesn't wifi nmea 0183 so I can't use it with inavx?
I believe it is true, but if you go over to Panbo.com, you will find discussion of this issue.

the new Furuno Navnet plotters - also discussed at Panbo - appear to have gone a bit further than Raymarine with the wifi features, but at a significantly greater cost.

Still, I don't think the Furuno does what you are looking for either.

I think this is an area where there will be a lot of change in the next year or so.

I might hold off buying a plotter for a while, if I could.

us7070

Super Anarchist
i think he means he can't find the discussion i mentioned, using the search tool on Panbo.

I can't find it either....

I found a few articles and comments dealing with the new e-series, but didn't see any mention of whether the e-7 broadcasts NMEA 0187, that might be used by iphone apps.

Perhaps i read about it somewhere else, but I am pretty sure it doesn't.

canstead

Anarchist
Ok thanks. I've had a look at the Raymarine documentation and it isn't specific, but it only talks about being able to connect to iDevices, and if you want a computer connection you need to go via the network switch, which would suggest a no! I'll refer to some local techs. Another example of Raymarine's closed system approach? Probably.

Thanks 'enquiring mind' I did get as far as finding Panbo!

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
Excellent! Open source and low power! I had thought about making something work with DD-WRT or something, but my dad is selling his big boat, so I'll have to keep my hobby ideas Viper-sized.

Mikes post above got me thinking about rolling my own NMEA-wifi server and this is what I came up with.

A Raspberry Pi credit card sized computer running Raspbian (Debian), a usb wifi dongle and usb -> serial adaptor.

Hostapd turns the Pi into an access point and Muplex http://marinux.pk973.org/ which can multiplex multiple NMEA 0183 inputs and output via tcp port. It creates virtual terminal ports so there is no problem of exclusive use of data stream.

I am currently working on a website that I can access via mobile device to show the NMEA data.

Since taking that photo I have connected the server to the NMEA out of my Nexus Classic server and it worked great with iRegatta.

DSE

I like the idea of getting this to work on a WRT. These are amazing cheap, powerful devices due to their populartiy in the open source community. We soldered in serial ports following Hyerstay's links on this thread and now having working wifi that takes NMEA 0183 data from our Nexus FDX server to one wifi device like an and ipod with iregatta. However, it only allows connection to one device. I would prefer two, one for a chart plotter and one for the ipod with iregatta.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts