no more Miami to Havana Race

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I had tenants recently who came here from Puerto Rico a year or so ago, after the hurricane.  They have just decided to return, the American dream is not all that it is cracked up to be, after all?  Thanks Trump!!

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Shootist Jeff said:
Will do, thanks!

Now I need to find a recipe to try to roll my own.  Any tips?
Finding the bread is the hard part. You can use Italian bread sliced the long way, with some of the stuffing pulled out, smear alot of butter on both halves (use about a whole stick), then slather with yellow mustard, then a thick layer of sliced boiled ham, then a thin layer of swiss cheese, then a thick layer of grilled, or roasted pork with a little cider vinegar sprinkled on, then a thin layer of swiss cheese, then slather the top inside with more yellow mustard and add some pickle discs. Then if you don't have a press..... Get two cast iron frying pans good and hot and put the sandwich in one, and then put the other pan on top.... Try not to scorch the bread, but you want all that butter to melt and saturate the bread.

A

Amati

of course.  It gets the older Cuban vote locked up, and some of the younger, though word is that the younger generations find this stuff stupid.  

Give the embargo a chance to work.  A few more decades and it will happen!  Just like tax cuts creating jobs, just give it time.  Stay the course!
Promises made, promises kept.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Promises made, promises kept.
Don't believe all of the propaganda.  Find a way to see the place with your own eyes, stay in an AirBnB and meet people.  There are still a ton of ways to go and I would be happy to share my thoughts with anyone interested. 

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
I really don't understand who this serves. There are about 5 old Cubans living in Miami who still want revenge on Cuba for the Castro era. The rest have died or changed their minds. What is Trump thinking? We can isolate Cuba to death? Maybe we should just mail them Big Mac's and see what happens.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I really don't understand who this serves. There are about 5 old Cubans living in Miami who still want revenge on Cuba for the Castro era. The rest have died or changed their minds. What is Trump thinking? We can isolate Cuba to death? Maybe we should just mail them Big Mac's and see what happens.
An old guy in Varadero told me "if your country would end the embargo, this entire island would be speaking english in a month." 

This serves Marco Rubio's benefactors.  This serves the FL sugar growers, and sub-standard rum producers. This serves bullshit artists and propagandists, who do not want people to go there and see the place with their own eyes, lest the propagandists lose control of the narrative. 

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Alone in Latin America, from the perspective of the gringo empire to the north, . . 

Cuba commits the unpardonable sins of making food, education and health care 

available to all 

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Shootist Jeff said:
I grew up in Miami and grew up on Cuban Sammi's there back in the 70s as a kid.  I went back to the city for the first time in 2014 since we moved away in '77.  The only thing I could think about was having a good cuban sammi from either South Beach or the Little Havana area near Downtown where my dad worked.  We never made it downtown but I tried a couple on South beach.  Meh.  It wasn't what I remembered.  

Still the best Cuban (sandwich) I've had as an adult was at a little back alley Deli in Key West near Trumbo Point.  IIRC It was on 5th St a couple of Blocks away from the Navy annex.  Not sure if the Navy is even still there at Trumbo Pt.  I cannot remember the name, but it was a little tiny grocery store (about the size of most people's living room) with a small little deli counter in the far back.  I recall 5 Brothers Deli in KW was pretty good too.  But this little grocery store was amazing.  I doubt its even still there.  
Sadly none of those places have the best Cuban sandwiches in Florida.  You have to head north for that.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Are you kidding ? Do you know that Haiti is a Caricom member " 

And other Caricom nations are also desperately poor. 

Go to Cuba and see for yourself . . 
I'd love to go to Cuba. Was planning on going there 2 years or so ago, but something came up, and I had to postpone my trip.

Haiti is a sad example of what bad leadership, and rapacious corporate greed can do to a land, and it's people.

Look at the DR on the same island (Hispanola)... You can literally see the demarcation line as you fly over.... DR is no paradise, by any means, but it is compared to Haiti.

I've lived in a few Caricom countries, and they may be financially poor, but the culture, and community is vibrant.

Ever lived there AJ, or just commenting from the arm chair?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Specifics man! We need specifics!
Tampa.  Officially named home of the Best Cuban sandwich and bread.  Even Marc Rubio agrees.  I’m not rabid about them.  La Teritista is the place for all things Cuban but I’m sure there are better places.

hermetic

Super Anarchist
rent a driver, get out of havana, head southeast toward gitmo.  look at the living conditions there then tell us it's a whole lot better than haiti

MR.CLEAN

Not here
rent a driver, get out of havana, head southeast toward gitmo.  look at the living conditions there then tell us it's a whole lot better than haiti
Have toured both islands extensively.  Cuba is a shithole, but It's a whole lot better than Haiti.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts