No Sign of a Red Wave Anywhere

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
I'm hopeful and agree, but I also expect AZ to choose the craziest option they're presented with pretty regularly.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I don't think so. A plant or fungus that grew is something I can look at, touch, smell, and evaluate as a consumer.

A powdered concentrate of a plant? Not so much. I don't know what's in there. I want some rules about it. The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1903 was a good idea and was the only drug control law to ever reduce addiction. We need some of those rules, but not any about natural things that grow.

But that's another thread.
That's a lot of big government you're going for if you only think the actual natural growing part should be unregulated.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
I'm hopeful and agree, but I also expect AZ to choose the craziest option they're presented with pretty regularly.
AZ is purple. They narrowly went for Biden in 2020 (but Shitstain, Romney and McCain before that). They already elected Mark Kelly once and they elected the execrable Sinema. I'm looking forward to Gallego primarying Sinema. Republicans have been running the craziest options there for awhile now, Trumpy nutjobs. There is evidence (2020, Rusty Bowers, ...) that that's growing old but then AZ skews old.

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
AZ is purple. They narrowly went for Biden in 2020 (but Shitstain, Romney and McCain before that). They already elected Mark Kelly once and they elected the execrable Sinema. I'm looking forward to Gallego primarying Sinema. Republicans have been running the craziest options there for awhile now, Trumpy nutjobs. There is evidence (2020, Rusty Bowers, ...) that that's growing old but then AZ skews old.
Yes, I'm aware. Engagement is the bigger issue here. I'm hoping that Roe, voter registration shenanigans, etc. will be enough to mobilize the younger folks. Biden throwing a bone to the student population could go a long way. At least in my university town a lot of the 18-35 aged population is checked out and too preoccupied with trying to make ends meet as they get priced out of housing. Older Republicans in the Valley have an advantage in that regard. There's a good amount of enthusiasm about getting rid of Douchey and voting for an astronaut is a wonderful thing to be able to do. AZ turning properly blue, or at least being on the bluer end of purple is likely, but I'm certainly not counting on it yet.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Yes, I'm aware. Engagement is the bigger issue here. I'm hoping that Roe, voter registration shenanigans, etc. will be enough to mobilize the younger folks. Biden throwing a bone to the student population could go a long way. At least in my university town a lot of the 18-35 aged population is checked out and too preoccupied with trying to make ends meet as they get priced out of housing. Older Republicans in the Valley have an advantage in that regard. There's a good amount of enthusiasm about getting rid of Douchey and voting for an astronaut is a wonderful thing to be able to do. AZ turning properly blue, or at least being on the bluer end of purple is likely, but I'm certainly not counting on it yet.
If one party controls the mechanism of elections, or education, it doesn't matter what colour the state is. That seems to be the driving factor in many red states right now, and it's obviously centrally controlled.

3to1

Super Anarchist
If one party controls the mechanism of elections, or education, it doesn't matter what colour the state is. That seems to be the driving factor in many red states right now, and it's obviously centrally controlled.
and if those tactics bear fruit this place is no longer a democracy, but a fascist corporate state. the battle lines have been drawn.

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Sure, and if voting changed anything they'd make it illegal. They're trying that already though so it's worth a shot. If a solution is available in the current system, voting in overwhelming numbers is the first step. Even if a solution isn't available in that system, voting in overwhelming numbers is still the best starting point.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Sure, and if voting changed anything they'd make it illegal. They're trying that already though so it's worth a shot. If a solution is available in the current system, voting in overwhelming numbers is the first step. Even if a solution isn't available in that system, voting in overwhelming numbers is still the best starting point.
In some third world country the DickTator was cheating his ass of in elections and STILL lost the people were so mad, he would say lose 10,000 to 7,000 in a place where 5,000 people lived :LOL:

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
They can't take an hour to vote because of real estate prices?
Checked out, as in not engaged with the political process and apathetic about it, especially among those struggling with basic needs like food and shelter. Keep in mind I'm talking about people who on the older end came into political consciousness during Bush v. Gore and have always lived in a highly networked world. It's very easy to sell them narratives of unavoidable societal decline and "both sides" or controlled opposition type thinking. It's both far more complicated and just as you say.

AZ makes mail in ballots simple for most of the state, so it's more about finding the hook that sets deep enough for them to resist complacency and learned helplessness within a broken system. Doesn't really matter what level of government that hook is at. Our current governor and mayor are both chumps. Getting people fired up about that is a great leverage point to get them to show up at the polls to vote on the other stuff. Not pretending the system isn't broken helps a lot too. Once that's conceded it's much easier to reemphasize why trying like hell to find solutions within the broken system is so important, if only as a stop-gap to protect already marginalized populations.

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
Checked out, as in not engaged with the political process and apathetic about it, especially among those struggling with basic needs like food and shelter. Keep in mind I'm talking about people who on the older end came into political consciousness during Bush v. Gore and have always lived in a highly networked world. It's very easy to sell them narratives of unavoidable societal decline and "both sides" or controlled opposition type thinking. It's both far more complicated and just as you say.

AZ makes mail in ballots simple for most of the state, so it's more about finding the hook that sets deep enough for them to resist complacency and learned helplessness within a broken system. Doesn't really matter what level of government that hook is at. Our current governor and mayor are both chumps. Getting people fired up about that is a great leverage point to get them to show up at the polls to vote on the other stuff. Not pretending the system isn't broken helps a lot too. Once that's conceded it's much easier to reemphasize why trying like hell to find solutions within the broken system is so important, if only as a stop-gap to protect already marginalized populations.
Chapeau

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
That's a lot of big government you're going for if you only think the actual natural growing part should be unregulated.
We already have it. I'm talking about paring back the part that applies to weed and shrooms. And some of the rest, notably things like the looting that's associated with and was spawned by the failure of the stupid drug war.

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
FYI
In the rest of the First World:
Our Democrats are center-right and the Republicans are lunatic-fringe crazytown Nazi right.
We hardly have anything that would qualify as left-wing in any other country.
Definitely. If you want left wing then there's this guy who was leader of the opposition here until recently. It's no wonder he got caned at the last elections with some of the policies they came up with. At least the replacement is more centrist and gives people an alternative.