No smoke here no more

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
New Zealand has decreed a lifetime ban on tobacco and that there will be no more tobacco sales by 2025 to people 14 and under by that date.

About time someone stood up for the next generation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
Sounds nice in theory, but if I were a betting man, I would bet most of my money on this failing as it would needlessly criminalise people and give organised crime a HUGE source of revenue and will probably contribute to even more dangerous fags because who the fuck is going to regulate what proper crims' put in their 'marlboro' ciggies. 

I wish New Zealand the best with this endeavour though. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Great idea.....

Gonna be harder than enforcing "No alcohol" rules though.

If you want to make some serious money, take a risk, and wait a few years. Buy a ship load of shrink wrapped tobacco now. Bring it into EnZed under cover of night (or earthquake, that'll work too), and keep it in a refrigerated underground locker until....

Then start raking in the cash.

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
What about pipe weed?

old toby pipeweed.gif 2081992660_oldtobypipeweed2.gif

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Good on NZ. As a smoker in the US, it’d make quitting so much easier if they just banned this shit. I’ve quit about five times, but it never stuck. 

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
While I am not generally in favor of nanny government deciding personal habits - think prohibition or legislating away red meat…..I have to say this strikes me as a good idea. Since the consequences of smoking is such a huge impact to health care costs it might be worth the intrusion. It does beg the question…..where does government stop when choosing which harmful habits to outlaw?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Since the consequences of smoking is such a huge impact to health care costs
What is that impact?

Smoking can give you cancer and kill you prematurely.

How does it cost more if you die prematurely? I would have thought getting very old and dying of various ailments over a number of years would cost a lot more.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
What is that impact?

Smoking can give you cancer and kill you prematurely.

How does it cost more if you die prematurely? I would have thought getting very old and dying of various ailments over a number of years would cost a lot more.
If you died immediately that might be true. Think emphysema, COPD, cancer….you don’t die quickly or inexpensively. 

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
The smart answer to these types of things is legalize and tax the shit out of it - the price will then narrow the field. Sin tax is effective, from what I’ve seen

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
The smart answer to these types of things is legalize and tax the shit out of it - the price will then narrow the field. Sin tax is effective, from what I’ve seen
Started smoking when they were 75 cents. I quit smoking when the price hit $2. Quit cold Turkey. I was working in promotional marketing for our client Phillip Morris at the time and had a garage full of cigarettes to distribute at bars and nightclubs. Now they are $10 a pack with most of it tax today cover smoker’s futures health care (yeah right) and people still buy their daily pack of death nails. 

IStream

Super Anarchist
While I am not generally in favor of nanny government deciding personal habits - think prohibition or legislating away red meat…..I have to say this strikes me as a good idea. Since the consequences of smoking is such a huge impact to health care costs it might be worth the intrusion. It does beg the question…..where does government stop when choosing which harmful habits to outlaw?
It stops where the voters tell it to stop. "Government" is us, at least in a democracy. Or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

jdazey

Kingston, WA
keep quitting until it finally works.
I started smoking in boot camp. Got out of the service still smoking despite countless attempts to quit.  Got a GF who wouldn't have anything to do with smokers. If I wanted to get laid, I had to quit. Haven't smoked since.