No smoke here no more

IStream

Super Anarchist
I'm not so naïve as to think that "democracy" is a silver bullet and nobody in their right mind would argue that the US is currently a well-functioning democracy: gerrymandering, voter suppression, Citizens United campaign financing, etc, etc. By the same token, I don't accept the demonizing "government is inherently evil" narrative. Government is necessary and, dare I say, helpful in many, many ways and of the bureaucrats I've interacted with directly, the vast majority were knowledgeable, pleasant, and helpful. 

Rangi

Anarchist
Started smoking when they were 75 cents. I quit smoking when the price hit $2. Quit cold Turkey. I was working in promotional marketing for our client Phillip Morris at the time and had a garage full of cigarettes to distribute at bars and nightclubs. Now they are $10 a pack with most of it tax today cover smoker’s futures health care (yeah right) and people still buy their daily pack of death nails. 
Currently NZD$40 (USD$27) a pack in NZ - mostly tax. People keep buying them…

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
BPCL3YKK5CARHI3QIDCGMWA3PQ.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
While I am not generally in favor of nanny government deciding personal habits - think prohibition or legislating away red meat…..I have to say this strikes me as a good idea. Since the consequences of smoking is such a huge impact to health care costs it might be worth the intrusion. It does beg the question…..where does government stop when choosing which harmful habits to outlaw?
I say we only let legislators who are not fat vote on those kinds of questions.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Sounds nice in theory, but if I were a betting man, I would bet most of my money on this failing as it would needlessly criminalise people and give organised crime a HUGE source of revenue and will probably contribute to even more dangerous fags because who the fuck is going to regulate what proper crims' put in their 'marlboro' ciggies. 

I wish New Zealand the best with this endeavour though. 
I think it will work for most.

I'm a failed quitter.

I don't think I'd actually break the law to get a nicotine fix.

Nicotine may be as addictive as heroin but hardly gives one the same high, for as long and withdrawal is annoying and grumpy rather than vomit pain and shakes for days.

I can't see kids lurking on street corners furtively checking the street for narks only to be  approached by a 

Only to be handed a pack of fags or their $26.

Doesn't have quite the thrill.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Nope, legal age is 18.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/12/9/new-zealand-to-ban-tobacco-sale-to-people-born-after-2008

Ban doesn't start until 2025, effectively meaning that those age 14 now, will never be able to legally buy tobacco. 
So those too young to vote are having their choice made for them by the old people whose healthcare he is expected to someday fund.   Ironic.  Will he someday return the favor by voting to outlaw TV for those over 60, improving the lifestyle of fat old people?    

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
So those too young to vote are having their choice made for them by the old people whose healthcare he is expected to someday fund.   Ironic.  Will he someday return the favor by voting to outlaw TV for those over 60, improving the lifestyle of fat old people?    
Um, shame the old people decided to abolish conscription eh? Outrageous, we were too young to vote on it!!

Last edited by a moderator: