Non-Stink Penetrant?

Startracker

Van Isl.
My preference is to find one who's smell I like.  Had good luck with the freeze spray/penetrating oil from Wurth, the foaming one seemed ok too with a bit more smell. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
PB Blaster smell is... unique. I can't say I find WD40 objectionable so PB Blaster will probably really offend you more.

billsreef

Anarchist
Miami
PB Blaster and Kroil are the two best  penetrating oils I've worked with. Both are aromatic. I know of nothing that doesn't smell and also works. A good cleaning and ventilation after the fact is the best answer I can come up with.

yoyo

Anarchist
Not sure of any that don't smell.

As SJB said acetone and ATF 50/50 mix - its an old school mix that sometimes works when others don't.  Since its not a spray-aerosol it might be less stinky than the WD stuff you used.

Kroil always on hand for convenience but does have some smell. 

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Thx. I'm using what I'm sure is PB with an ACE label.

I'll be wiping up the excess from here on.

Last edited by a moderator:

IStream

Super Anarchist
Another vote for ATF/Acetone. I'm rebuilding a couple of ~80 year old South Bend lathes and it was a real acid test for my battery of penetrating products (PB Blaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc). On the first lathe I tried them all and some worked some of the time but the ATF/Acetone mix often worked when nothing else would (e.g. seized taper pins). I used it exclusively on the second, more seized up lathe and it saved me tons of time and grief. 

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
I don't like the smell of PB blaster or liquid wrench. I wear gloves when I use them if at all possible because soap and water doesn't cut it.

This may be of interest (but doesn't deal with smell):

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
If you dispense PBB into a small container, then apply with a brush at least it doesn't get to places you didn't want it to go and you can regulate the volume a little better. 

I haven't tried the brake fluid acetone recipe, but the guys on the car forum swear by it. 

FD Sea Dog

U.S.A.
In the U.S. Navy we used to call it ' Panther Piss ', a concoction of  Toluene & Naptha & Carbon Tetrachloride & Xylene - No Way Today the EPA would raid your place.
Sears and Roebucks had a great solvent called: Tirpolene thinner - It went the way of the EPA.

Goof-Off is good of somethings, as is Naval Jelly rust remover (Locktite). The smell dissipates overnight.

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past to free the piston rings on my boat's diesel engine. Haven't tried soaking stuck bolts with it; not sure how great it would be as a penetrant, but I do find its wintergreen scent more pleasing than WD40 or PB Blaster.

PB Blaster's my go to for unfixing stuff. WD40 is good for displacing water, great penetrant, but I've always heard it's not the best lubricant.