Nonskid for foredeck

G

serious question whats the best boat over 40 feet but less than 6k that me and my girlfriend can buy to sail around the world, we plan to do a youtube channel. Were gonna convert it to electric and stuff

G

i am going with coarse griptex added to the paint on my 28' trimaran...
sprayed griptex in 2 pot is the best for a yacht, practice the technique first if you've never done it before and want a mint finish or start at the foredeck. For rolling theres two methods, mix in paint or paint then total coverage/brush off excess/paint over.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
Kiwi grip is awesome, thin with water as needed to slow the cure time in high heat environments and to give the peaks enough time to soften. Was probably the easiest part of my refit..

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Kiwi grip all the way. Its  a fantastic product
This is actually a very interesting topic,  some people love it and others dislike it both opinions based on looks, application and performance. Its a fact that it does wear our and once on you’re in the kiwi grip painting cycle, and its a total fucking bitch to remove without the grinder. I personally like paint and griptex type solutions  but its horses for courses

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I feel like Kiwi-Grip works if you're in nice clean sea water and a marina. 
I sail on a muddy estuary for most of the time & I found Kiwi-Grip almost impossible to keep clean. 

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Reanimating a thread.  My decks are said to have an Awlgrip sandy nonskid painted over a dimpled gelcoat.  The "Awlgrip" is wearing off and splotchy.  No idea how old it is, I have had the boat for 4 years and there has been noticeable wear.  The smooth original gelcoat area is worn through to brown laminate in places and the remaining smooth gelcoat is chalky and porous.  The boat sat out on the hard in the north Florida sun for a few years after spending a year in the Bahamas.  Being a 34 year old Dehler from Germany, like most of us of European decent (at least I think I am), we don't do sun very well.

Anyway, I need to paint the decks and nonskid.  I am old, seem to have bad genetics, and about the max age that anyone in my family lives to.  No kids to leave the boat to so don't care what happens to it after I kick it.  Questions are:

1.  What is the life difference to be expected between one part and two part urethane paints in high UV areas?  Was going with a flatter white for the nonskid and a slightly off white for the smooth.  Thee existing gelcoat is a "cream"  color and even that gets a lot hotter than the white nonskid.  I will be doing the work myself, alone, in sections and concerned the two part paints will be a lot more difficult to work with (besides being a lot more expensive).  Spraying is not an option, unfortunately.  I am not a fan of kiwigrip as I tend to go barefoot.

2.  The seat tops are a material I believe to be similar to "Starboard".  The slight 'factory" nonskid texture on them is worn.  I peeled off the strips of worn out grip tape the PO had applied and want to put some sort of stick on, slightly cushioned covering, treadmaster or the like.  As the grip tape stuck, I imagine the coverings would also? any good recommendations for cockpit seats and floor coverings?  I am guessing paint probably would not stick very well on that stuff.

I will ask about bottom paint / anchors / solar panels / sail replacement (also doing that now) / full keel or fin keel later.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I used Interdeck on my Freedom 40. goes down pretty well, feels rubbery underfoot, holds up pretty well too. Less fussy than sand / gelcoat, lighter than raptor.
I just used Interdeck yesterday to temporarily touch up areas of my non-skid .

I like it - very similar to my all time favourite which was Sikkens deck paint but that is no longer produced. I mixed 2 white with one grey to get a nice pale grey.

I'll be using it when it comes time to refinish the deck.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
We repainted our deck ('81 J/36 btw) with nonskid particles mixed into the Awlgrip this past summer. Came out evenly and works well to provide sure footing.  Read too many stories about Kiwigrip always looking dirty.  Nonskid tape and faux teak were too pricey for the coverage we needed.
Textures like that are best cleaned with pressure washer.

I just re-did the cabintop non-skid on the SC 27 with gelcoat and a fibretex roller.  I dislike using paints because it is a bitch to get off if it screws up.  With gelcoat you just sand off the top surface to remove the wax and try again.  

I have discovered, however, that having any kind of shadow on the deck when applying the gelcoat is a problem.  It results in slightly different surface temperatures, and the roller will pick up the gelcoat from the shadow area and won't leave a texture. 

silversailor

I ended up using Total Tread by Total Boat. It's excellent and I recommend it highly.  Taping was the most work.  The non-skid particles are suspended in the paint so very little stirring required.  Application is EASY. I put 2 coats on and my crew marvels at the difference.  Applied directly over the ineffective dimpled pattern molded into the deck.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I ended up using Total Tread by Total Boat. It's excellent and I recommend it highly.  Taping was the most work.  The non-skid particles are suspended in the paint so very little stirring required.  Application is EASY. I put 2 coats on and my crew marvels at the difference.  Applied directly over the ineffective dimpled pattern molded into the deck.
Pics or it didn't happen  :lol:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Just did a large flat cabin top using gelcoat and fibretex rollers.  It came out fantastic - I will get a picture today and post it.  The cabin top was large enough that two of us were needed to keep the rollers going.  

We learned that results are better if the gelcoat isn't put on too thick.  And, it is better to peel the tape right away.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Here are a couple of pictures.  You can see in this picture why it is important to peel the tape right away. 20210617_152632.jpg

Ignore the dirt in this second picture.  The adjacent deck is being prepared for this treatment.

20210617_152644.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: