NOOD decline

Franklins Tower

Super Anarchist
Land o Hedonism
I can't comment on why others have decided to cross various NOOD regattas off of their schedules but I can add my own insight. I have sailed in both the St. Pete, and Annapolis NOOD's over the past decade. One of the reasons for not going to Annapolis this year was the thought of saving the dollars for a different regatta. Something new and different. The other is the typical Annapolis spring weather crap shoot. The St. Pete NOOD's has become a joke. The parties blow and the RC (at least for the M24's) was atrocious. Starting our regatta off with no racing because it was blowing in the 20's, and then, giving us a 3 leg race course for the first race. I know that every M24 owner I've spoken to is NOT planning a trip to St. Pete again.

Flame away

FT

RCH

Redneck, USA
I find it entertaining that the Ed feels he needs to bash one of the more successful regattas in the US. Could it be they don't advertise with him and Charleston does? I bet you the 4KT SB regatta would listed as the "Best Ever" if they wrote you a check. (For anyone who went outside in Charleston, it was a lame event with little competition)

For someone who was at the first NOOD regatta (Newport 1988 - Soverel 27 Class) it sucked, but by trial and error it got better and better. Back then there were tons of regattas competing (Remember Volvo Race Week, Audi Race Week?), but because of a lot of volunteers and enthusiasm it got better. The idea of cruising one designs had a place to gather (Remember the Frers 33s, 36s, J-35s) was new. Back then, there were more handicap events and at least on LIS, not many events to gather as a One design. (For Espo, remember when you had to sail against 3/4 tonners instead of J/29s? (Free and Clear, Jagular)

I bet you if Sailing World advertised with SA like Charleston does, he would have a different opinion.

Racing in Annapolis this weekend was great, R/C was fantastic, and anyone who missed it, missed out on a great time.

I agree it is fun going to different regattas vs. going to the same place every year, but don't be a hater because they didn't write a check to you Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstef3

Annapolis
Although the Annapolis NOOD is one of my very favorites, I chose not to race this year, and not to promote it within my class (we were offered a start) because like others I do not have the time to participate in three, 3-day regattas on the Chesapeake in a single year (NOOD, Screwpile, CBYRA Annapolis Race Week). So this year I was I look forward to Screwpile and Race Week this season.

John

S2 9.1 meter

Annapolis

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
At best this is a case of an opinion piece being passed off as "Journalism". There is no research backing the piece..no survey of all the people who participated last year and decided not to participate this year, no honest assessment of the effect of the economy, and worst of all, passing off the assumption that events that have yet to be held are sure to grow in numbers as if its a foregone conclusion. Sometimes I think the National Enquirer does a better job then anything on the front page.

Nothing wrong with an opposing viewpoint. There are undoubtable some valid issues to be raised. But outright bashing doesn't seem like the best way to do that...

OceanBien

Super Anarchist
Ed's soapbox, otherwise known as Sailing Anarchy, is another venue in decline.

Participation in the NOOD regattas, or any event where spending money on travel, hotel, restaurant & taking time off from making money can be directly attributed to economics. The above posts use reasoning versus Ed's farce.

You would think that Ed would understand that simple razor to cut to the reason considering he bought the cheapest boat he could get for his money that wasn't a Hunter or Mac.

But the decline in forum participation amongst the more promenant sailors who used to be regulars here might have two reasons.

1. We're sailing more in season and don't have time for bullshit

2. It's Ed' soapbox and Ed's logic is transparent and dilusional.

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
At best this is a case of an opinion piece being passed off as "Journalism". There is no research backing the piece..no survey of all the people who participated last year and decided not to participate this year, no honest assessment of the effect of the economy, and worst of all, passing off the assumption that events that have yet to be held are sure to grow in numbers as if its a foregone conclusion. Sometimes I think the National Enquirer does a better job then anything on the front page.

Nothing wrong with an opposing viewpoint. There are undoubtable some valid issues to be raised. But outright bashing doesn't seem like the best way to do that...
You would think that everyone would want to encourage participation at every level. But I guess it's easier to bash someone else's project.

Cheers,

MikeR

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Well I have to say I was surprised it wasn't a list of all the reasons no one in Annapolis should ever go sailing - so +1 for the Ed.

I wasn't surprised that it essentially said since it wasn't an SA sanctioned effort like Charleston it must be bad - so -1 for the Ed.

Getting over 200 boats on the line when people are worried about paying for a slip or maybe even a tank of gas is no mean accomplishment these days!

Squalamax

Super Anarchist

You would think that everyone would want to encourage participation at every level. But I guess it's easier to bash someone else's project.

Cheers,

MikeR
Right on, Mike.

NautiGirl

Super Anarchist
New Scotland
I find it entertaining that the Ed feels he needs to bash one of the more successful regattas in the US. Could it be they don't advertise with him and Charleston does? I bet you the 4KT SB regatta would listed as the "Best Ever" if they wrote you a check. (For anyone who went outside in Charleston, it was a lame event with little competition)

For someone who was at the first NOOD regatta (Newport 1988 - Soverel 27 Class) it sucked, but by trial and error it got better and better. Back then there were tons of regattas competing (Remember Volvo Race Week, Audi Race Week?), but because of a lot of volunteers and enthusiasm it got better. The idea of cruising one designs had a place to gather (Remember the Frers 33s, 36s, J-35s) was new. Back then, there were more handicap events and at least on LIS, not many events to gather as a One design. (For Espo, remember when you had to sail against 3/4 tonners instead of J/29s? (Free and Clear, Jagular)

I bet you if Sailing World advertised with SA like Charleston does, he would have a different opinion.

Racing in Annapolis this weekend was great, R/C was fantastic, and anyone who missed it, missed out on a great time.

I agree it is fun going to different regattas vs. going to the same place every year, but don't be a hater because they didn't write a check to you Ed.
Well, Route Halifax-Saint Pierre has an ad running on SA, and it didn't stop them from posting smack talk about that race thinly veiled as a piece about the Cabo race on the front page.

RATM

Anarchist
Detroit NOOD has been a good experiance for me. The 3 day format makes the trip and hotel stay worth it. Oddly, when I talk to locals, they say the 3 day format is a pain in the ass. "Why should I take a day off for a local event?" and "I can't get my crew to take a day off work" are some of the issues I've heard locals talk about.

I think boats will return if the partys are lame but they won't return if the RC is bad. This goes for any event. Does Sailing World bring in PROs?

TimFordi550#87

Tim Fordi550-#87
That's it???

That's all they got, e.g., declining numbers? No "someone sideswiped my car in front of Ruth's Crispy Steak House?" or "someone at Jabin's gave me a dirty look" or "the breeze sucked" or "gosh there was too much current?"

Sheesh, what a let-down.

Flying Wasp

Super Anarchist
Marblehead
Funny that the Ed can lambaste other events with dropping numbers but he can't even get people in his own class to race. See WTF? thread in FT forum.

duffstew

Could not be said any better. Ed's post made me question both his position as a journalist and a sailor.

Big shout out, too, to the huge growth of the J80 class in Annapolis. Really impressive to have that many new boats on the line.

bowboy

Anarchist
Chicago, IL
seriously, why all the bashing of sailing events and media that could play a large role in reinvigorating sailing in the us? sailing world has take a huge hit - it is in probably the worst media category to be in right now - but there are some good people there trying to do good work. do they sell ads? um, yes. do some of their advertisers get good press? um, yes. the same can easily be said of sa. what i want, as a sailor who wants his kids to have a lively us sailing scene to jump in to one day, is for everyone to succeed and grow. the noods may be broken in places, but why aren't we working together to try to fix them and grow them? they are much closer to the sa vision of the future of sailing than something like kwrw.

at some point, these shitfights begin to look more petulant than productive.

Glitter In The Eye

Anarchist
Not sure why Ed and his group thinks regattas need to always be in a growth stage. It not like an investment group looking for high returns year after year. Once they break even its a win for everyone. I haven't sailed in Charleston in 10 years, but I doubt anyone can seriously tell me a 200 boat regatta fits into that high speed current ship filled port without mixing fleets and running into beaches before you can reach layline. The first time I raced in Key West was in 1988 and that year there was only 2 circles, total pain in the ass with fleet mixing. So in order to get 200 boats on the course we had to pay more money for more support boats on the water, the marinas charged more and the rental houses started to go way up. The market will decide what is acceptable. I'm sure in a year or two if Charleston has a decline it will be said its because of the economy and Clean has moved to Newport and discovered they have sailing there.

I didnt do the Nap Nood because I was in Vegas, but I heard it was better weather than the last few years. I like the Anarchy site but ED is a tard and Clean cant help it...he was born that way.

CDV

"We have no way of knowing what Sailing World has done about their little problem, since we - like the rest of the racers we know - long ago dropped our subscriptions to what has become little more than a glossy Yellow Pages for gullible advertisers."

No need to read it to know what's inside. Don't most journalists actually do some research before blasting away?

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Clean has repeated more than once that he is NOT a journalist and has no intention of becoming one, so take that as an indication of what is what around here.

"We have no way of knowing what Sailing World has done about their little problem, since we - like the rest of the racers we know - long ago dropped our subscriptions to what has become little more than a glossy Yellow Pages for gullible advertisers."

No need to read it to know what's inside. Don't most journalists actually do some research before blasting away?

Naviguesser

Anarchist
Media 101 - Generate buzz and build interest. Document interest and sell ads. Convert interest into influence and sell more ads for more money. Kill buzz for those that don't pay with aforementioned influence to sell more ads for more money. The steady state is achieved by creating or nurturing conflict in resonse to declining interest to generate more buzz.

Don't kill the messenger.

Latest posts