North American Mini Fleet

Burley

Annapolis
And yeah Rob, you are correct that Jay Thompson is in the hunt.  Actually 5th in proto points currently.

Long week. I need some sleep...

sailthebay26

Anarchist
Newport, RI
I added a few notes as well to the list.  There is a kid up here that has the USMMA boat on loan.  Its an older proto but will give you a feel for the boat.  They are very addicting and I still want one after not sailing one for about 8 years.  

An idea my better half threw out there - anyone have any experience with any of the sailing schools out in France?  Thought that might actually be the fastest way to get some on-water experience in a mini.  Just really want to actually get on one before I go all in, and might as well get a thorough intro.

Also thought it'd be a good way to see more second hand stock and learn what's what - maybe spot something that I could pick up in Guadeloupe.

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Peter knew going in that the schedule was going to be extremely tight and there wasn't much space for things to not go exactly to plan. The delays for him getting into France and then the added time to fit the new mast were delays that did not help his efforts. Kudos to him for planning to continue on for MT2023

As for those who say it cannot be done, I know in 2009 a US sailor took delivery of his boat in France in March, got the qualifications done and did the TransAt that year, so it can be done. Or could be done in the before times

M26

Anarchist
bar
To add my view on the proto/serie question...

I went for a proto, #508, as my first mini.  I love the boat in all of hers complexity, but... Looking back a serie Pogo2 or similar would be a better choice and only for one thing in particular: cabin space. With water ballasts, cannards and canting keel you just don't have any room left in the cabin.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
As for those who say it cannot be done, I know in 2009 a US sailor took delivery of his boat in France in March, got the qualifications done and did the TransAt that year, so it can be done. Or could be done in the before times
It most definitely can be done in a turbo season, if it wasn't for a rig issue in the second leg of the mini en mai in my first season I would have made my miles. It is just harder and pretty much everything has to go right. It's also easier to do a turbo season in a proto, because theres usually not a waiting list so you can qualify later, if you're a series mini you really want early miles to qualify earlier, as the sooner your qualify the higher up the list you are (and theres always a waiting list).

Jacki Chan

Canada
Long time lurker first time poster  @JonRowe and @M26 I am NA based and have become super keen on the Mini series. Toying with schedules and funding it is really tricky to do on a shoestring budget. I am in for a turbo season 2023 and hoping to get some lots of miles in 2022, along side continuing to work a bit, and lots of advice before that. If anyone knows of a Series Mini for sale in NA please let me know! Also if anyone has some experience fundraising for these Mini campaigns on the wrong side of the pond I would be forever greatful to recieve some tips on approaches and ROI spins for corporate sponsors. 

Burley

Annapolis
I've got a POGO II I'm thinking about listing.  It has made three solo trips to Bermuda, with double handed return. The Pogo II's are super solid and crazy fast when dialed in.

But you've got to get started yesterday for the MT2023.  Sure, it can be done on a turbo season, but not on a shoestring budget.   The better option is to get a Series boat and rack up three or four thousand miles over the next year.  A serious race prep plan will get you on the line in 2023.

Good luck.

B

@Jacki Chan Welcome!  We've put together a list of all known NA minis here, tried to annotate where they were for sale or not.

I think the only one I know for sale up on a website at the moment is 839 out of SF (here).  I've spoken with Morgen, the broker if you want contact info PM me (or just hit up the site).

If you move really fast... there's quite a few Minis (Pogo 2s, mostly) listed for sale after the pending Transat.  I've toyed with the idea but couldn't figure out a great way to make it work.  But in theory you could buy one right off someone as they finish the crossing - and before they have to go to the expense of shipping it back to Europe!  You can see those classifieds on the Classe Mini website.

Best of luck!

M26

Anarchist
bar
Long time lurker first time poster  @JonRowe and @M26 I am NA based and have become super keen on the Mini series. Toying with schedules and funding it is really tricky to do on a shoestring budget. I am in for a turbo season 2023 and hoping to get some lots of miles in 2022, along side continuing to work a bit, and lots of advice before that. If anyone knows of a Series Mini for sale in NA please let me know! Also if anyone has some experience fundraising for these Mini campaigns on the wrong side of the pond I would be forever greatful to recieve some tips on approaches and ROI spins for corporate sponsors. 
Jackie,

my goal was never the MT, but I'm aiming for the SAS which would be the peak of my mini adventure, if that ever happens.

Regarding you plan for 2023...  If you go for it, you should have a boat and move to France next year and spend the two seasons left to MT23 sailing the mini circuit. 

The amount of knowledge you need to harvest is enormous with these machines and being alone in the proces does not make you any favours and neither does the tight budget :)

Jacki Chan

Canada
Jackie,

my goal was never the MT, but I'm aiming for the SAS which would be the peak of my mini adventure, if that ever happens.

Regarding you plan for 2023...  If you go for it, you should have a boat and move to France next year and spend the two seasons left to MT23 sailing the mini circuit. 

The amount of knowledge you need to harvest is enormous with these machines and being alone in the proces does not make you any favours and neither does the tight budget :)
Ah I wish I had that kind of funding, or the legs to attract some sponsors and live there for two seasons. If I went there now I'd be sleeping on a bench and not even have a sial bag to keep me warm. Turbskies is the only way forward for this pirate. Day job paying for a boat kinda scene over here. A couple o' folks in this MT have been able to rent boats to get things moving. So if theres anyone out there in NA with a Mini just sitting around ... please message me :)  

Jacki Chan

Canada
I've got a POGO II I'm thinking about listing.  It has made three solo trips to Bermuda, with double handed return. The Pogo II's are super solid and crazy fast when dialed in.

But you've got to get started yesterday for the MT2023.  Sure, it can be done on a turbo season, but not on a shoestring budget.   The better option is to get a Series boat and rack up three or four thousand miles over the next year.  A serious race prep plan will get you on the line in 2023.

Good luck.

B
Pogo II is the ticket. Let me know if you want to send her to a new home. Currently chasing down rumours that there are 2 on Lake Ontario somewhere. Ive been trying to track down Diane Reids. She sold it to a gent in Bronte Harbour and it has since moved on from there. Myth has it it was spotted at Port Credic YC in 2018 but they have no memory of it. 

NA based Mini are the stuff of myth and legend...

The hunt continues. 

tane

Super Anarchist
does anyone have a contact for Guy Hernandes, (718 Benjamin 2006 S-Super Calin Magnan), Levis, QC, Canada?

PinkSpinnaker

FL/OH/MI
Hey guys, just popping in to say thanks to @ByronS. I am now the proud owner of 680, she will be staying on the Great Lakes.

P.S. Anyone know where to get the rubber universal joints that link the rudders?

680 pickup.JPEG

Latest posts

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: