Not a race boat?

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Multithom says the Corsair 880 is not a race boat. I shall now publicly proclaim my prediction! The 880 will win this year's Race to Alaska. I'm willing to bet 3 Oreo cookies and a glass of cold almond milk. Mark my words!

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
According to the international rules governing online wagering that constitutes an official bet. You got the Hobie 33, I gots the 880.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
There are a whole bunch of other boats with a good chance. Couple F27s, F24s, F25C, F9A, Stilleto 27 cat, But the Hobie 33 would get my bet.

According to the international rules governing online wagering that constitutes an official bet. You got the Hobie 33, I gots the 880.

The 880 has Rolex Yachtsman of the Year Bill Hardesty as crew! Bill bought MadMax’s Hobie 33 several years ago, and won the Cabo race with it. He has since sold it. But I wouldn’t bet agains him!

eastern motors

Anarchist
Is the Hobie crew a bunch of pros or something? Odd pick from a guy that knows trimarans.

I'm surprised some of the F-Boats are taking 5 crew. That's a lot of weight.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Single hull has half the chance of hitting logs. Crew weight won't be as much an issue while having sufficient power to move in the no breeze zones. Single hull has won R2AK before. Proven design for offshore winds. The F25C will be the quickest and might leave them all in the dust if they don't hit anything. Mojo was really good in SF Bay, but it is old and may break something anytime, anywhere.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Multithom, as a mathematician you probably might have calculated that the mono has 1/3 the chance of hitting a log but actually, I think the overall beam would be the deciding factor so maybe even less? There are a couple fast tris and monos that should be near the front but my cookies and milk are riding on a fast boat with a high level crew.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Multithom, as a mathematician you probably might have calculated that the mono has 1/3 the chance of hitting a log but actually, I think the overall beam would be the deciding factor so maybe even less? There are a couple fast tris and monos that should be near the front but my cookies and milk are riding on a fast boat with a high level crew.
Perhaps, since this is a new 880 Sport, they managed to get a "real" weight at launch? Corsair is not known to make light boats in Vietnam. Being new, the high level crew will have to be on the ball to get through the new boat teething pains while on the go. Issue with the Hobie is they will do the traditional (conservative shorter) inside passage which can be more problematic with currents and logs than the "progressive" longer offshore route. R2AK race organizers shoulda kept the more strategic format IMHO instead of turning loose a drag race. But I am more conservative than progressive.

Half the chance since most competent tri skippers have one hull out of the water at all times.

Last edited:

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Even on Corsair’s published data, the 880 Sport isn’t a light boat, being significantly heavier than F82 and F85’s. But it does carry a lot more sail area, so on paper, it’s overall Base Speed at ~ 11.2 knots it is comparable in average speed to them.

IMHO including the outside option has diminished R2AK.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

I think the odds of hitting a log would be proportional to the frontal cross-section area.

Not a race boat?

KIMG0031.jpg

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: