Not RAK?????

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
I'm probably not the first one to notice this article, but is it right? i was looking forward to see the races and in the proces of booking!!

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/564465-amer...k-to-be-dropped

America's Cup challenger calls for RAK to be dropped

americas-cup_thumb.jpg
SAILING ROW: The America's Cup challenger wants Ras al-Khaimah dropped as the venue for the 2010 event.​

The challenger in the America's Cup race has hinted that legal action could be taken to oppose Ras al-Khaimah as the venue for the prestigious 2010 event.

Golden Gate Yacht Club (GGYC) has urged holders, the Société Nautique de Genève (SNG) and its sailing team Alinghi, to reconsider its choice of the UAE coast for next February's race.

In a letter from GGYC commodore Marcus Young to Fred Meyer, vice-commodore of SNG, he claimed the choice of Ras al-Khaimah "without our mutual consent contravenes the deed and the order and judgment of the Courts of Appeal".

He added that the emirate was not an appropriate venue because "it does not provide ocean courses free from headlands".

"We therefore call upon you to suspend your venue announcement...this defect in venue selection woulod permit court challenge by any number of parties and further uncertainty respecting future America's Cup events," Young said.

Young called on SNG chiefs to enter into new talks with them to choose a new venue or to revert to the previous race's venue of Valencia in Spain.

Last week, Arabian Business reported that Ras al-Khaimah plans to build a 22-hectare purpose-built island to host the teams.

The island will be part of the Al Hamra Village lagoon, a new luxury resort with more than 3,500 homes on the coast of Ras al-Khaimah. No cost to the project has yet been announced.

Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Crown Prince of Ras al-Khaimah, has expressed his satisfaction at the news that his emirate had been chosen, calling it a "great moment".

Earlier, the Société Nautique de Genève, said it had chosen the emirate because it "offers perfect weather and great sailing conditions for a match in February".

By custom, the defending America's Cup champions have the right to choose the location for the race which is due to start on February 8.

Alinghi, which is owned by Swiss pharmaceutical heir Ernesto Bertarelli, will face off in three head-to-head races against GGYC's BMW Oracle, backed by software mogul and Oracle founder Larry Ellison.

If the GGYC challenge fails, the America's Cup will be the latest major sports conquest for the UAE, and follows Abu Dhabi's inclusion in the Formula One calendar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny_B

Anarchist
the article is new, but those quotes are old. GGYC hasn't yet, afaik, formally challenged the venue in court. The last word I've heard from them is that they didn't consider the venue to be in keeping with the DoG and were "considering their options"

RHough

Super Anarchist
the article is new, but those quotes are old. GGYC hasn't yet, afaik, formally challenged the venue in court. The last word I've heard from them is that they didn't consider the venue to be in keeping with the DoG and were "considering their options"
I hope they decide to honour the deed and let the defender chose the course. The appeals process on the legality of racing in the northern hemisphere in February is exhausted.

Peelman

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
I hope they decide to honour the deed and let the defender chose the course. The appeals process on the legality of racing in the northern hemisphere in February is exhausted.
I don't think it's exhausted until someone asks the NYSC about what Judge Cahn really wanted done. All of this challenge is down to interpretation as sportsmanship & tradition when out he window with CNEV

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
The Deed was dis-honored the moment the defender got two years instead of 10 months to prepare. This was the beginning of all the non-Deed issues we're discussing now, because the challenger's main bargaining chip was taken from him.

RHough

Super Anarchist
I don't think it's exhausted until someone asks the NYSC about what Judge Cahn really wanted done. All of this challenge is down to interpretation as sportsmanship & tradition when out he window with CNEV
The argument that SNG could not race in the northern hemisphere between November and May was lost when the order came down. It couls have been argued at two levels of appeal but was not. I don't know how either of these parties can bring it up again. The NYAG could, if they were convinced that the beneficiaries of the trust have been harmed.

RHough

Super Anarchist
The Deed was dis-honored the moment the defender got two years instead of 10 months to prepare. This was the beginning of all the non-Deed issues we're discussing now, because the challenger's main bargaining chip was taken from him.
Blame the Deed and the court system. The only real beneficiaries of the 1887 deed have been lawyers. I'll bet that the lawyers have pocketed more money out of 1988 and now than any sailing team or club has gotten directly from the Cup.

Peelman

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
The argument that SNG could not race in the northern hemisphere between November and May was lost when the order came down. It couls have been argued at two levels of appeal but was not. I don't know how either of these parties can bring it up again. The NYAG could, if they were convinced that the beneficiaries of the trust have been harmed.
As LE stated today, GGYC doesn't think it's Deed legal. Guess they will go back to NYSC to ask what did Judge Cahn really mean? Also, LE mention Iran a couple of times & that it's not the same as Dubai so sounds like they will play the security card.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
i just hope they go racing. that's all! i really don't care that much about who started a/the shitfight.

freddy

As LE stated today, GGYC doesn't think it's Deed legal. Guess they will go back to NYSC to ask what did Judge Cahn really mean? Also, LE mention Iran a couple of times & that it's not the same as Dubai so sounds like they will play the security card.

Who gives a f*** whether Larry is scared to go near Iran - that's nobody elses problem except his own. If he doesn't like it, then don't go - simple really......

armfelt

The Iran comment is so ignorant, exactly like this clip:

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
The Iran comment is as valid as every other claim made by Comical Lucien, Butterworth, et al on everything from "keel yacht" to safety of sailors in Valencia in February, not foregetting the CNEV fiasco of course!! And quite frankly, I hope LE exhausts all legitimate legal options under the Deed to enforce their rights. You play with the rules, you die by the rules.

The AC as governed by the Deed of Gift is identical to Golf and the Rules of Golf: a player or competitor who knows the rules is perfectly entitled to use the RoG to his/her advantage. And if you think the DoG rules are convoluted, have a browse around the Rules of Golf and decisions......

Peelman

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
Maybe some of the sensitive issues around the event being

called the "America's Cup"

an international sporting event

GGYC's BOR team boat is called "USA"

the " USA" boat having been in part created by USA DoD companies

BOR sponsors are from the Western Industrial captialistic world

LE is a key individual of one of the USA top companies with ties to DoD companies

that except for the Swiss sailors, the majority of the teams sailors who are important to the sport are from Coalition Countries

some of the most wealthiest & influential business people in the world maybe in one spot

that friends & loved ones may be in harm's way

Even for the Kiwi's their government has Iran ranked as a Extreme Risk & states this about the ME -

Security

There is an increased global risk of terrorism. No country is immune from a terrorist attack, and no person is immune from becoming a victim of an attack. Terrorists have little regard for civilian casualties and, in many cases, attacks are designed to maximise casualties.

Although New Zealand travellers are unlikely to be targeted deliberately, they are usually indistinguishable from any “Western” tourist, and frequent places where other Western tourists are found. This puts New Zealanders at the same risk as others.

Wherever you are, you should keep yourself informed about the latest alerts and stay aware of your surroundings in areas where large numbers of people congregate, such as shopping malls, markets, monuments, demonstrations and on any public transport.

Random and indiscriminate attacks in the Middle East demonstrate the continuing security threat throughout the region.

Al Qaeda is the most notorious group to have emerged out of the Middle East and spread its attacks globally. It is reported to have cells operating in a number of countries in the region, as evidenced by bombings in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere. Al Qaeda is also alleged to have close links with Jemaah Islamiyah and other Islamic terrorist groups.

The Iran comment is so ignorant, exactly like this clip:

Now that is some funny ass shit....

gavinspier

Hong Kong
Maybe some of the sensitive issues around the event being
called the "America's Cup"

an international sporting event

GGYC's BOR team boat is called "USA"

the " USA" boat having been in part created by USA DoD companies

BOR sponsors are from the Western Industrial captialistic world

LE is a key individual of one of the USA top companies with ties to DoD companies

that except for the Swiss sailors, the majority of the teams sailors who are important to the sport are from Coalition Countries

some of the most wealthiest & influential business people in the world maybe in one spot

that friends & loved ones may be in harm's way

Even for the Kiwi's their government has Iran ranked as a Extreme Risk & states this about the ME -

Security

There is an increased global risk of terrorism. No country is immune from a terrorist attack, and no person is immune from becoming a victim of an attack. Terrorists have little regard for civilian casualties and, in many cases, attacks are designed to maximise casualties.

Although New Zealand travellers are unlikely to be targeted deliberately, they are usually indistinguishable from any “Western” tourist, and frequent places where other Western tourists are found. This puts New Zealanders at the same risk as others.

Wherever you are, you should keep yourself informed about the latest alerts and stay aware of your surroundings in areas where large numbers of people congregate, such as shopping malls, markets, monuments, demonstrations and on any public transport.

Random and indiscriminate attacks in the Middle East demonstrate the continuing security threat throughout the region.

Al Qaeda is the most notorious group to have emerged out of the Middle East and spread its attacks globally. It is reported to have cells operating in a number of countries in the region, as evidenced by bombings in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere. Al Qaeda is also alleged to have close links with Jemaah Islamiyah and other Islamic terrorist groups.
Being in the software business myself and having worked in LE's great company in an Executive position I have a little insight:

Oracle has been selling software to Syria and Iran through third parties. Oracle has a strong presence in the Middle East through a partnership with Global Technology Services. Oracle maintains a listed sales contact for Syria, where it closed a major deal with Syria Telecom in 2004. In Iran, Oracle serves the market through a local partner, Basa; Oracle has approximately 5 Iranian customers, with the most publicized implementation being at Esfahan Zobe Ahan, a steel production company. Oracle is a visible brand presence in Iranian newspapers.

TurmoilJ

BUT, how could they appeal until SNG officially announced the venue, there wasn't a (possible) breach until then? GGYC is on record in writing to SNG (their letter of May 20th 2009) that they considered any NHem venue other than Valencia as not deed legal. And they have not attempted to say that SNG doesn't get to choose - just that they have to choose within the restrictions of the deed. They have also said that they are open to MC discussions on ANY location. IANAL, but IMHO they have a strong appeal case - if they decide to go that route. However, it's obviously a complex puzzle as to how everything would play out, and which scenario's are to their advantage, which neutral and which definitely counter-productive: the chess game continues!