Nothing in the American MSM.. nothing at all?

tpletcher

Super Anarchist
Austin, TX
Ha! Sailing has a long way to go before it gets any play in US media...I remain quite shocked it was actually on espn360 to be honest with you...

Hopefully this next cycle will fix some of that, but its gonna take a veritable circus type event plan to get people to pay attention. I am encouraged however by Ellison's comments regarding the vision for the next cycle. Smaller boats (planing monos), shorter courses, tighter racing...all of that makes sense.

I think we (i.e. sailing as an activity) in the US need a spectacle in SF Bay that is 25kts, boats bumpin' and grinding around short courses, some crash and burn type stuff. That and crews that are true athletes being tested physically. Put differently, we need a "NASCAR" type event to get people interested outside of the current participatory fan base....

I know the very mention of the word NASCAR freaks out a whole bunch of traditionalists, but those guys know how to market their activity, and sailing can and should take more than one or two lessons from that business model....

my 50cents worth anyways.....

Last edited by a moderator:

MauganTornado

Super Anarchist
ESPN is a mess these days, keep em on the beach.The sportscenter anchors are annoying at best and that networks assortment of talking heads ruin most events with endless banter.

Just sayin...

Yeah but throngs of people watch these idiots. If just one person sees some footage of those boats hauling ass and goes to the local yacht club to find out more - it'll be worth it.

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
I saw one MSNBC article last night, out of AP, New York Times,Fox,CBS,USA today and MSNBC. One article! Plenty of crap about Olympians and even some small time filler stories ,but NO AC. Amazing. The oldest sports trophy in history.

I heard a brief summary of the results on NPR last night. They didn't have all the details right and it was only a 5 second statement but hey its something right? I can't remember if it was NPR's own coverage or they were airing the BBC news. Either way it was good to see that both of these quality journalistic sources (neither of which cover a ton of sport) were willing to atleast mention it.

F$&% American mainstream media!

I saw one MSNBC article last night, out of AP, New York Times,Fox,CBS,USA today and MSNBC. One article! Plenty of crap about Olympians and even some small time filler stories ,but NO AC. Amazing. The oldest sports trophy in history.

As a guy who used to sail 5 days a week in college, I'm the target audience for watching sailing on TV.

I had no desire to watch this bastardized version of match racing. It was clearly not going to be the close racing we saw in 2007! I think a lot of the potential audience felt the same way. It just wasn't very good racing. That's why the media ignored this event more than they usually ignore sailing

I hope that the 34th cup is a sporting event (meaning yachts that are close in speed and suitable for match racing) rather than a legal event.

As a guy who used to sail 5 days a week in college, I'm the target audience for watching sailing on TV.
I had no desire to watch this bastardized version of match racing. It was clearly not going to be the close racing we saw in 2007! I think a lot of the potential audience felt the same way. It just wasn't very good racing. That's why the media ignored this event more than they usually ignore sailing

I hope that the 34th cup is a sporting event (meaning yachts that are close in speed and suitable for match racing) rather than a legal event.
Sadly, you really missed something.

Apparently ESPN might have gotten the message from our comments on their "Today in Sports" colum or whatever. They posted this article as a headline on their front page. While not 100% accurate and lacking any real detail about the racing it does nicley cover today's press con and the possible future of the race. It even confirms the Tom E. story. And my favorite part is the last line that makes the Swiss just look like huge pussies not wanting to sail in waves!

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4916121

doghouse

Super Anarchist
Apparently ESPN might have gotten the message from our comments on their "Today in Sports" colum or whatever. They posted this article as a headline on their front page. While not 100% accurate and lacking any real detail about the racing it does nicley cover today's press con and the possible future of the race. It even confirms the Tom E. story. And my favorite part is the last line that makes the Swiss just look like huge pussies not wanting to sail in waves!
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4916121
ESPN has put something on their frontpage every single race day, plus today.

Sue

After this AC I am just as happy not having it on TV. I loved it on the web. Hooked up laptop to big TV and was perfect. No commercials, could pick which feed to watch. It was awesome,

jorgensen

Super Anarchist
I heard a brief summary of the results on NPR last night. They didn't have all the details right and it was only a 5 second statement but hey its something right? I can't remember if it was NPR's own coverage or they were airing the BBC news. Either way it was good to see that both of these quality journalistic sources (neither of which cover a ton of sport) were willing to atleast mention it.
F$&% American mainstream media!

Earlier on Sunday, NPR (national Public Radio) did have a wee bit longer item, at the top of the hour the reader said the yacht BMWOracle beat the Swiss alinghi team. The reporter's segment, called the yacht USA and also mentioned BMWOracle, and listed the deltas too, so it came accross as dominant, and reported that it was 15 years since the trophy was in American hands.

Last edited by a moderator: