NRA Imploding

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
[SIZE=17pt]Turmoil wracking the National Rifle Association is threatening to turn the group’s annual convention into outright civil war, as insurgents maneuver to oust Wayne LaPierre, the foremost voice of the American gun rights movement.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]The confrontation pits Mr. LaPierre, the organization’s longtime chief executive, against its recently installed president, Oliver L. North, the central figure in the Reagan-era Iran-contra affair, who remains a hero to many on the right.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Behind it is a widening crisis involving a legal battle between the N.R.A. and its most influential contractor, Ackerman McQueen, amid renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status. With contributions lagging, the N.R.A. is also facing an increasingly well-financed gun control movement, motivated by a string of mass shootings.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Mr. North asked Mr. LaPierre to resign on Wednesday, according to documents reviewed by The New York Times. He said he had also created a committee to review allegations of financial improprieties that threaten the N.R.A.’s status as a nonprofit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]organization.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]But Mr. LaPierre, in a stinging letter sent on Thursday night to the N.R.A.’s board, accused Mr. North of threatening to leak damaging information about him and other N.R.A. executives unless he stepped down.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]“Yesterday evening, I was forced to confront one of those defining choices — styled, in the parlance of extortionists — as an offer I couldn’t refuse,” Mr. LaPierre wrote. “I refused it.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Even as the leadership tussled behind the scenes, President Trump addressed the N.R.A. faithful at the convention on Friday and proclaimed himself a champion of gun rights. In a speech that was part political rally and part pep talk, he said his administration would not ratify an arms treaty designed to regulate the international sale of conventional weapons.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]The power struggle within the N.R.A. is an abrupt escalation of a legal battle between the organization and Ackerman McQueen. The Times reported earlier this year that prominent members of the N.R.A. board had grown dismayed at the performance of Ackerman because of its NRATV online media service, which has drifted into right-wing politics far beyond gun rights. Ackerman employs Mr. North, who hosts an NRATV series called “American Heroes.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]It is not clear whether Mr. North has the board support to oust Mr. LaPierre, who has led the N.R.A. for decades. Previously, the presidency has been a ceremonial position, though Mr. North, in documents reviewed by The Times, has asked for it to be a paid post. A key factor will be Chris Cox, who runs the N.R.A.’s Institute for Legislative Action and is effectively the group’s second-ranking official.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=22.6667px]more at the link[/SIZE]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/business/nra-wayne-lapierre-oliver-north.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Some disgruntled member threw a cell phone at Trump which is deeply funny in the vein of the Iraqi throwing his shoes at GWB.  Sadly he got arrested.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I wish the NRA would give up the laundering and lobbying, (not to mention propaganda) and just go back to teaching firearm safety. 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
They should modify the name to National Assault Rifle Association.  Plus NARA fits on a Red Hat really well.  Honesty in advertising - it could be a thing. 

Olsonist

Super Anarchist
New Oak City
image.png

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
If Wayne wants documents from Ollie he better ask for them quickly, and make sure Fawn gets the shredder out of the office. 

dogballs!

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
With contributions lagging, the N.R.A. is also facing an increasingly well-financed gun control movement, motivated by a string of mass shootings.
Nice to see you get a mention, badlat, though I still think transparency in your $peech would be good.

There is nothing I can do now but support a full Second Amendment extermination, which I will do with huge endowments. Money talks.
But you're free to $peak and don't have to say what you're doing and that's a good thing too.

renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status.
Are there new threats since the ACLU came out on the NRA's side in that one?

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Nice to see you get a mention, badlat, though I still think transparency in your $peech would be good.

But you're free to $peak and don't have to say what you're doing and that's a good thing too.

Are there new threats since the ACLU came out on the NRA's side in that one?
It's all moving to a quick conclusion, the only real question is will the NRA be better or worse under Oliver North and will the damage be repairable?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
It's all moving to a quick conclusion, the only real question is will the NRA be better or worse under Oliver North and will the damage be repairable?
Considering that they are going out of business I’d say yes it will be irreparable.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
The NRA used to be about hunting, responsible handling of rifles and, etc. It's morphed sometime in the 70s into the hand gun and assault weapon assoc. It's really very sad. Almost as if the Arbor Day Foundation started promoting the girdling of mature hardwoods so that they could be harvested by corporations for a profit.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The NRA used to be about hunting, responsible handling of rifles and, etc. It's morphed sometime in the 70s into the hand gun and assault weapon assoc. It's really very sad. Almost as if the Arbor Day Foundation started promoting the girdling of mature hardwoods so that they could be harvested by corporations for a profit.
A question.

Are there any other associations that promote the old goals of the NRA?

Seems to me the best way to undermine the NRA is to poach it's responsible and reasonable members.

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
A question.

Are there any other associations that promote the old goals of the NRA?

Seems to me the best way to undermine the NRA is to poach it's responsible and reasonable members.
In a similar vein, where's the majority of the funding come from?

Through members subscriptions or a questionable minority of "donations"?

Lifted Tack

Super Anarchist
When Oliver North is your great white hope, you are basically screwed. I love how he wants to get paid. Maybe the Contra's have some left over cash.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The NRA is America's longest-standing civil rights organization - I don't think their going out of business anytime soon
Interesting point of view, perhaps you'd care to explain to a non American?

Founded in 1871, I think I can come up with quite a few older than that.