Nuke the hydro fouling winged cats

All this talk of not doing the AC defense in NZ. So idiotic. It’s just stupidly expensive, for no advantage whatsoever to the sport of sailing, spectators, or sponsors. Clearly true, or there would be zero problems.

Good things to do:

1) An AC only class

2) The world’s best sailors

3) Close racing with many passing lanes.

Item 2 means the boats must be a refinement of common competition boats, and highly tweakable on the course while racing.

Item 3 demands boats with multiple speed modes.

So items 2 and 3 disqualify winged foiling cats.

Instead, planing monos that do sail changes, with lots of power instead of pure efficiency so bad air is not as deadly.

Something like TP52. Maybe about 60 feet. Fixed keel, about 3m draft. Huge rigs so fast in all conditions and mode changes including sail changes are essential.

The AC75 must be killed.

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
All this talk of not doing the AC defense in NZ. So idiotic. It’s just stupidly expensive, for no advantage whatsoever to the sport of sailing, spectators, or sponsors. Clearly true, or there would be zero problems.

Good things to do:

1) An AC only class

Item 2 means the boats must be a refinement of common competition boats, and highly tweakable on the course while racing.

Instead, planing monos that do sail changes, with lots of power instead of pure efficiency so bad air is not as deadly.

Something like TP52. Maybe about 60 feet. Fixed keel, about 3m draft. Huge rigs so fast in all conditions and mode changes including sail changes are essential.

The AC75 must be killed.
Did you notice all the people wearing masks and wonder what that was about?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

Good things to do:

1) An AC only class

The AC75 must be killed.
Sortof agree, but foiling cats have to be less platform-expensive than the flying bug class. At least a cat is stable off the foil.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
So you think Covid is permanent? I don’t. 
I didn't used to until today. The new variant will start the cycle over until the new mRNA brew is ready, then more vax fights. In the meantime, America is wide open and unmasked. Don't come here. Don't let us in. 

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
I didn't used to until today. The new variant will start the cycle over until the new mRNA brew is ready, then more vax fights. In the meantime, America is wide open and unmasked. Don't come here. Don't let us in. 
It has gone from pandemic to endemic. But if we are vaccinated and the treatments continue to improve eventually it will be like the flu. That is the best we can hope for. But it’s not going away, that was wishful thinking.

Erwankerauzen

The olympic class keel boat STAR is a perfect one design, she requires only a crew of 3 , is perfect for match race

Much more exciting than the AC 75 for sure

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
It has gone from pandemic to endemic. But if we are vaccinated and the treatments continue to improve eventually it will be like the flu. That is the best we can hope for. But it’s not going away, that was wishful thinking.
If I were younger I would be more sanguine. I am at an age where my remaining vigorous adventure travel years are being consumed by covid not liveaboard trips. 

barfy

Super Anarchist
You’re right. Instead the new boats cost twice as much to go the same speed. 
Puleeze...I believe the consensus is that the Jesus lizard boats would smoke the J  foil cats in vmg, both up and down.

I was supplying a fork to better appreciate this latest FU thread.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
If I were younger I would be more sanguine. I am at an age where my remaining vigorous adventure travel years are being consumed by covid not liveaboard trips. 
How true and very sad. There is only so much fun to be gleaned from stirring shit around here. ;-)

I wonder if, Europe (specifically, 55.6761° N, 12.5683° E) will still be there, post covid?

Meantime, a mach 0.75 plane might be even more deadly than a slow boat.

It is weird to me that the above goals, pretty obvious, are not being emphasized. Instead, big expensive weird boats that don't require sailors. Like watching one guy playing a video game nobody else can buy.

1) Unique AC class

2) Best sailors.

3) Lots of passing lanes.

AC75 is perhaps the worst possible boat if (2) or (3) matter at all.

atwinda

Anarchist
1) Having the money to afford 2 and 3.
2) The best sailors
3) The best designers

2 and 3 don't necessarily need to be in that order, but they need to play nice with each other.

It has ever been, nor ever will be about "lots of passing lanes". As a spectator, sure, that might be exciting (if you know what a race course looks like, and where to find passing lanes), but as a defender or challenger, you want the best designers and best sailors to REDUCE the passing lanes by way of a faster boat or a better sailing team. The sailors and CEO's can get on camera and talk about how great or close a race was, but that's not what they spend millions of R&D dollars on.

Our opinions about what we'd like to see in the cup really don't matter at all to anyone who can afford to play at that level (see 1).