Nurse Ratchet DTS

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Survey: Was she more evil than Kathy Bates in Misery?
I could not watch that movie. Seemed unnecessarily over the top to me and just an ordeal (I am kind of wuss with intense abuse, have never made it through Cuckoos Nest a 2nd time). Nurse Ratchet was subtle and crafty in how she eventually made moves to control individuals and play the entire group and mess with their heads. Great book and the whole group who made the film really did it justice and the performances were heartbreaking, real, and many had to be hard to do. Also, they did it in mostly group scenes. Forman and Altman really broke new ground in the ensemble group scenes. Love all their work. Was reading Fletcher's wiki and was not surprised she did Thieves Like Us with Altman and Forman snapped her up after she and Altman fell out and he declined to cast her in Nashville even though she had developed the character. He cast Lily Tomlin instead, and everyone on the planet as well!

Bacchus66

from the toronto star today

“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” went on to become the first film since 1934′s “It Happened One Night” to win best picture, best director, best actor, best actress and best screenplay.

clean sweep of the top awards

I did a quick search, and there has since been only one other to take that sweep. "The Silence of the Lambs" became the third (and so far last) to accomplish that in 1991. There have been 4 others with near misses however 3 not winning Best Actor, and the other not winning Best Actress.

I also found it interesting that in addition than the 3 that did sweep all 5, only 3 others swept both Actor and Actress. "Network", "Coming Home" and "On Golden Pond". Only 24 times out of the 94 Academy Awards has any movie even won two or more of the top 5.

Louise Fletcher certainly eminently deserved her award. Her performance was epic.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Survey: Was she more evil than Kathy Bates in Misery?
Not comparable, Bates was playing a Kingsian monster and Nurse Ratched was merely a control freak.

1664128603681.png