NY to SFO the hard way

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Wonderful news!

Y'all know that Ryan is a poster here, right?

Well, the tracker shows him in Florida near Key Largo, arriving there on December 11th. I hope everything is OK for a start from NYC on Jan 1st...

TwoBirds

Gulf Islands
https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/ryan-finn-sail-proa-solo-new-york-san-francisco/

This should be a cool adventure to watch... exactly how old is Jzerro? Cool to see such a storied boat out collecting new stories!

Perhaps this will give more data on proa sails getting caught aback and blowing the mast away. :p

Randii
Haven't seen that rig before, nice.

Not sure how old she is, but between owners she has over 45000 miles on her.

Wonder if we'll have to wait for the movie for more pictures :)

That only actually happens in rob's fantasies

ProaSailor

Super Anarchist
Oregon
Ryan is east of Stuart, Florida, heading north at 12 knots.  Tracker.

Ryan Finn
Dec 22, 2020, 3:23:00 PM

Track Name: Track Summary
Speed: 13.60 mph    Course: NNW
Elevation: 7.68 ft.    
Lat: 27.255706    Lon: -79.610045

ryan_fin_2020Dec22a.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Does anyone have a status report?
You can click on the tracks and see how he's doing in close to real time.  Looks like heading for harbor.  Position fixes are funny.  Says he's at negative elevation now and track summary says he reached a max elevation of 481 feet.  Gotta love GPS.

ProaSailor

Super Anarchist
Oregon
Ryan's tracker stopped reporting yesterday afternoon (January 1st).  He was east of Cape May, NJ, ~105 Nm. from the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, heading NNE at 14+ knots.

Jzerro_2021Jan2a.png

Ovakus

Looking at the specs for a Garmin inReach Explorer (assuming that is what he has), the battery life is said to be 30 days when set to 30 min interval reporting.  Ryan left on December 4 and it seems plausible that with such long battery life he just forgot about it and his battery just crapped out yesterday on Jan 1.  At least that is what I hope has happened and he is already happily tied off to a dock in NYC. 

r.finn

Super Anarchist
I arrived at Miramar Yacht Club, Brooklyn, this morning at 3 am.  Tracker was off for some reason.  Sorry about that.

no_ballast

Glad to hear you made it!

Think I met you on the dock at Newport Shipyard many moons ago (pre-proa).

Give a shout if you need any semi-local help while you're up north here.

Last edited by a moderator: