NY to SFO the hard way

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Ryan looks to be around 400 nm out of Mar del Plata, so still two day’s sail away. 

7E6E3D81-7351-4C29-A47F-F7F045DBA053.jpeg

randii

Sacramento area
Interest seems to be waning here so will stop unless there is interest.  Great sailor and interesting boat so I am following regardless of if its non-stop.  Curious to see how the proa does.
My interest is not waning... 

I'm checking in with interest here, and have no Book of Faces.

Wess

Super Anarchist
two new ones from Ryan:

There is one sea state that I cannot stand. Well there are more, but this one I dislike. When the wind abruptly shifts from downwind to upwind and the waves you were surfing are still trying to make you surf upwind into the new waves, which are against you. Obviously I'm saying this because it just h appened. It was for cast to do this, and it's forecast to die tonight, filling very slowly from the North again in the early morning hours. My course probably looks quite funny, and I'm doing my best to change gears quickly, but when you're sailing westward, toward the leeward side of a continent, the weather changes quickly.

So now I've tacked so I'm sailing directly into the waves for a few hours until it drops to nearly zero knots. 385 miles from the Marina and I'm anticipating a tremendous number of sail changes between now and landfall. Very much unlike the North Atlantic. I actually think I prefer this. Doing multiple sail changes and maneuvers on a boat that sails in both directions is empowering in a way. I've vastly complicated Russell's original sail plan, because I felt it necessary for this project, but it's unlike anything I've seen before and makes me feel like I can sail anything after mastering this (which I haven't).

Honestly, it's also nice sailing somewhere I've never been before and experiencing new conditions. I knew getting down the coast of Argentina would be complicated and interesting, in both good and bad ways. I just didn't know how. Unlike the N. Brazilian coast, it's certainly no cake walk. You can see that from my track after getting a bit south of Rio de Janeiro. Squirmy!

And the second...

240 miles left before landfall and I'm basically drifting by Jzerro standards. I'm sailing across a wide SE flowing current which is inline with the wind direction. The forecast was for 10 knots NE and I've had 1-4 since entering the flow. It's setting me to the SE and possibly reducing the wind speed. We'll see when I get out if the wind picks up. It's actually supposed to be quite windy this afternoon, but it's already turning into the afternoon. I guarantee you I will not arrive in daylight. I never arrive in the daylight. Wildlife wise, it's been a good day. I saw one of my spiders, which I was starting to think they all perished, and then probably about 1,000 dolphins visited the boat for a good 45 minutes. I usually don't get excited ab out them became I'm old and jaded, but today I was. truthfully, I haven't seen any on this whole trip until today. And to top it off, I sailed right by some big old shark with it's fin sticking out of the water, in no wind, so you could see it's wake. I also did a food inventory and I have a lot left over. It's all freeze dried, and I I leave Argentina with a working water maker I'll have enough food for two months, which will hopefully be three weeks too many.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Ryan currently going backwards….. Hope all is OK?

Previous position data point had him doing ~ 7.7 knots WSW.

A3C4446D-A678-4A38-8527-C13DDE9EC127.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Explained in latest Facebook post:

”A huge electrical storm came through the region last night and has completely wrecked my forecast. At the moment, as with many moments prior, I'm supposed to be reaching straight at the marina in Mar Del Plata, with 10-12 it's at my service. However, what I'm actually doing is gybing downwind in light wind and left over chop, at a dragging rate of 5 knots, and bad VMG.

This has been going on since the wee AM hours and seems established enough to have shown up on the models, yet it hasn't. The only thing that has is a shift to the SW then SSW as I approach MDP, giving me 20+ on the nose for a while. I sailed out of the NE flowing current hoping things would improve when I got out, but they didn't, so I gybed to put the waves behind me instead of broad side. It's more comfortable and I may carry it back into the negative current if it means less slamming in light air.

As for the storm last night, it was very large. Horizon to horizon lightning. I watched it for hours before 2. getting to it and when I was close, I put the spinnaker away and doused the main just as the rain arrived. Moments later the wind shifted 180 degrees and it absolutely poured rain for a couple of hours, with wind dying and squalls hitting from any direction. After it was over, I began the slow downwind journey I'm on now.

I can't wait to have a nice tall glass of water when I get in.”

Around 120 nm to go to Mar del Plata……. Hope he caught some rainwater to drink!

Wess

Super Anarchist
From FB:

A huge electrical storm came through the region last night and has completely wrecked my forecast. At the moment, as with many moments prior, I'm supposed to be reaching straight at the marina in Mar Del Plata, with 10-12 it's at my service. However, what I'm actually doing is gybing downwind in light wind and left over chop, at a dragging rate of 5 knots, and bad VMG.

This has been going on since the wee AM hours and seems established enough to have shown up on the models, yet it hasn't. The only thing that has is a shift to the SW then SSW as I approach MDP, giving me 20+ on the nose for a while. I sailed out of the NE flowing current hoping things would improve when I got out, but they didn't, so I gybed to put the waves behind me instead of broad side. It's more comfortable and I may carry it back into the negative current if it means less slamming in light air.

As for the storm last night, it was very large. Horizon to horizon lightning. I watched it for hours before 2. getting to it and when I was close, I put the spinnaker away and doused the main just as the rain arrived. Moments later the wind shifted 180 degrees and it absolutely poured rain for a couple of hours, with wind dying and squalls hitting from any direction. After it was over, I began the slow downwind journey I'm on now.

I can't wait to have a nice tall glass of water when I get in.

Wess

Super Anarchist
From Ryan on FB:

Difficult day yesterday. The entire day and night were full of light wind, rain showers and wind that would not hold it's direction for more than a f ew minutes. I was becalmed many times yester and caught in squalls. To give a good idea of how my day was going (this is for sailors), my setup was larg e Genoa on top lock, Storm jib on bottom lock and the dagger board remained down whether I was going upwind or not. There was just nothing in between an d as soon as I was setting in to sailing downwind, I'd go to pull up the board and the wind would due, then fill in upwind at 3 knots, or 20 for eight mi nutes. For the most part the wind was either dead ahead or dead aft, and very light. None of this local stuff registers in the big weather models, so I mostly ignored the downloaded forecast. However Early this am I had somewhat stable wind and was making consistent 5 it's. It was dead aft, and I took it all the way to the beach hoping the forecast NW winds would arrive and when I was about one mile from the beach the wind shifted 70 degrees and strengthened a bit allowing me to sail directly down the coast, which is what I'm doing right now. I'm racing to get inside the breakwater before a front fills in from the SW bringing up to 40 knots if wind. It will be a bit of a clencher t o get in under sail and anchored so that I can clear customs, without weather drama at the end. I'm less than 25 miles from the entrance as I write this, making 10-12 knots. Fingers crossed.

Ovakus

Ryan, Good job arriving in Mar del Plata. Sorry about the reporting delay, I was AFK in interior British Columbia without good internet for a few days:

Day 25 (Feb 22) 24 hr DMG to the tip of Tierra del Fuego was 155 nm.

Day 26 (Feb 23) 24 hr DMG to the tip of Tierra del Fuego was 219 nm.

Day 27  (Feb 24) 24 hr DMG to the tip of Tierra del Fuego was 74 nm

Day 28 (Feb 25) 24 hr DMG to the tip of Tierra del Fuego was 208 nm.

Day 29 (Feb 26) 24 hr DMG to the tip of Tierra del Fuego was 114 nm.

Day 30 (Feb 27) 24 hr DMG to the tip of Tierra del Fuego was 81 nm.

He has averaged 8.2 knots VMG for the whole trip (with an average of 9.1 knots SOG for the whole trip). Summary of the daily log attached.

View attachment NYC2SF 2022.docx

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Part of the fun of any adventure thread is following along to learn the local geography. The water ebbing from the harbor isn’t pretty though, hopefully natural from the swamp reserve?

23613168-74A0-4FB4-8490-BF5D5EB320E3.jpeg

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Part of the fun of any adventure thread is following along to learn the local geography. The water ebbing from the harbor isn’t pretty though, hopefully natural from the swamp reserve?

View attachment 495140
Pure speculation:

I reckon the tide is going out, drawing the clearer water in Mar del Plata harbour out into the more muddy water coming down from of the huge River Plate/Uruguay River basin. The back eddy along the outside of the harbour breakwater is causing the flow to be pushed further out to sea before tailing off and mixing.

Latest posts