NY to SFO the hard way

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Don’t forget he is pushing ~ 2-3 knots of current.

From his last position update on the tracker he had ~ 4.5 miles of westing to make at ~ 6.5 knots SOG. That makes it ~ 40 minutes from the position update time.

I wonder how many of us are glued to the tracker?

Go Ryan!

PS: the longitude to look for is - 67.27.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Stuff

Anarchist
The South
He did it!  Amazing.  What is also amazing is watching this blue line on my computer screen and now I get to go to bed, while this guy is experiencing god knows what at this late hour on the bottom of the planet.  Godspeed Ryan on the rest of your trip.  Biggest cojones for sure.

Ovakus

At least using Windy there looks to be a tight squeeze between scylla and charybdis in the coming days. This is the best I could do:

https://www.windy.com/distance/boat/-55.99,-68.90;-52.38,-88.07;-51.18,-90.70;-37.30,-90.88?-53.904,-81.343,4,i:pressure

Thursday looks rough trying to stay south of the approaching low with the crux coming Saturday with a turn to the north once the low passes then running north as fast as possible to get out of the way of the next big storm. Timing depends a lot on what boat speed he can prudently maintain.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
For the benefit of those who can't see FB content:

I sailed past Cape Horn in the early AM hours today.  All I could see were the two lighthouses. it's been very tricky getting this far.  The rain has only stopped intermittently this morning and I'm still getting overrun by showers with 18 knots of wind, followed by 5.  This is slow and kind of miserable with temperatures in the upper 30s to low 40s. It promises to be as hard or harder for at least the next three days.  I'm already tired. However, I have to remind myself that this is a privilege and I feel blessed to be where I am.  I'd like to think that I'm sneaking out of here, but for sure the great Cape is watching my progress.  You can feel it down here.

Lost in Translation

Super Anarchist
Atlanta, GA
Stoked to see the progress.

I've never seen Jzerro in person.  The bows looks very narrow and not something that would be easy to walk out or even crawl out on to release the tack, set a sail up to hoist, or douse.  How do you change a headsail or move it to the other bow after a shunt?  

Stoked to see the progress.

I've never seen Jzerro in person.  The bows looks very narrow and not something that would be easy to walk out or even crawl out on to release the tack, set a sail up to hoist, or douse.  How do you change a headsail or move it to the other bow after a shunt?  
The bow is wider than you think, and the sails tack a bit aft of the bow.  J's are on roller furlers, and stay hoisted on halyard locks most of the time. 

One can furl/unfurl/shunt all from within the cockpit, then shift a new headsail forward as necessary.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
One of the things I like about proas is that you can set the appropriate headsail for the next tack on the aft headstay, at the stern where the current headsail is not in your way.  Then tack/shunt, raise the new headsail and drop the old one and go aft (on the "old bow") to secure the dropped headsail.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Ryan Finn  ( https://share.garmin.com/82X63 )
Mar 17, 2022  3:39:30 AM  (PDT)
Speed: 8.21 mph  (7.1 knots)  Course: NW
Lat: -55.427538    Lon: -72.676941

https://www.windy.com/?-54.842,-70.719,7,m:6Oad7X

Wind W 21 knots gusting to 28 knots, Waves W 8 feet at 8 secs., Temp 40 F, light rain

Four hour forecast: Wind SW 25 knots gusting to 33 knots, Waves SW 10 feet at 8 secs., Current flowing E 0.7 knots

Latest posts