NY to SFO the hard way

doghouse

Super Anarchist
I guess he has no auxiliary power?

Slogging up the beach against the ride and no wind is going to be a bitch.

If anyone does communicate with him I'd strongly suggest not trying to come in Rudee without someone local who knows the inlet. It shoals badly this time of year.

GH41

HHISC
He's becalmed tide is sweeping him south.  Sea Tow from here is going to cost $4k.  Coasties are apprised of his situation and aware of his position.

He's chilling until the wind comes up and he can sail in to HYC.
SeaTow is like a pawn shop.. A mother in a bind sells her deceased husband's wedding ring for 10 cents on the dollar to feed her kids a couple of meals! Fuck SeaTow and pawn shops!!

I guess he has no auxiliary power?

Slogging up the beach against the ride and no wind is going to be a bitch.

If anyone does communicate with him I'd strongly suggest not trying to come in Rudee without someone local who knows the inlet. It shoals badly this time of year.
I think he will avoid going through Rudee.

Last edited by a moderator:
He says that he is soaking, anticipating the left shift.  image.png

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Good to see he has made it at least close to safety :)

Looks to be becalmed again off the Chesapeake mouth last few hours.

This is a big shame, I've always loved the idea of Proas but there has been very little in the way of info on realistic performance of modern ones.

A long, GPS monitored journey like this would be real neat.

Hopefully this has been a freak incident, quickly repaired -> start again soon rather than a fundamental issue with the boat.

"This happened just as I was entertaining the Gulf stream."
Well the gulf stream definitely crashed the party :ph34r:

I'll get my hat

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Picked up speed & in the mouth now, heading for the bridge :)

Ovakus

Tracker Speed: 0 .  And that is a good thing. 

F*** Yeah. Great job Ryan.  Well done. You and Jzerro back at the dock. Sailed right to the slip? Double F*** Yeah. 

GH41

HHISC
Tracker Speed: 0 .  And that is a good thing. 

F*** Yeah. Great job Ryan.  Well done. You and Jzerro back at the dock. Sailed right to the slip? Double F*** Yeah. 
Just puts in perspective the dick wads who call for rescue because the microwave quit working!  

Wess

Super Anarchist
If you can get him under tow I can get y'all connected.
Just waking up to the good news and looks like he doesn't need it. Friend had the tow boat (but he never heard back).  I got a large trailer if needed but suspect he will (or at least I hope he can) repair in water.  Just shoot me a PM or get me on book of faces if needing the trailer.  We put a 36 foot trimaran on it and its got capacity for 8000 plus lbs.

Glad to see he is in safe. The folks at HYC are good people.  Repaired a blown out traveler track and car there after a DTB race and they were very kind to get me around for needed parts.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Does not look like UFO, just slammed a wave that hard.  I want to see better photos.  That's crazy. View attachment 423892
Yes, more photos please.  Clearly that leeward pod was being bashed hard, doing the work expected of a "safety ama".  It plays a role long before extreme angles of heel.

P.S.  WTF is a '.jfif' image file extension/format?

jzerro_2021Jan25a.jpg

Yes, more photos please.  Clearly that leeward pod was being bashed hard, doing the work expected of a "safety ama".  It plays a role long before extreme angles of heel.
I'm pretty sure that's 12mm ply there.  So 10" x 10" square "cookie cutter" shear like that....40 psi shear strength of plywood.  500 lbs slap to that small area?

And I'm really relieved to see the fillet did not fail.  Once we see what's going on with the interior structure, we'll know more.

TwoBirds

Gulf Islands
Good to see he made it, hope he's somewhere warm and dry.

Looks like an impact and a  much quicker repair than a blown fillet, with a bit of luck and some fast setting epoxy Ryan may still be able to get away in time to make the trip.

I carry a 2' x 3' piece of peel and stick in my tool kit for this sort of problem ever since a boat I was working on blew off a pair of sawhorses and caved in the side.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
Good to see he made it, hope he's somewhere warm and dry.

Looks like an impact and a  much quicker repair than a blown fillet, with a bit of luck and some fast setting epoxy Ryan may still be able to get away in time to make the trip.

I carry a 2' x 3' piece of peel and stick in my tool kit for this sort of problem ever since a boat I was working on blew off a pair of sawhorses and caved in the side.
What you see is the nice part.  This isn't a fixa-flat repair.  I won't make this attempt again this winter.