Obama policy on oceans, Great Lakes scrapped

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
He can screw up the ocean.    Lake Erie is already turning a bit green toward Cedar Point, I’m sure the annual algae bloom is on its way.    Let’s not return to the good old days when the lakes were fish free.    A lot of people make a lot of money harvesting very expensive walleye after all.    Big oil gets to feed the 600 to 900 hp motors the modern fisherman needs, and South Shore gets to sell $110,000 to 190000 fishing boats so non sailors can enjoy the water at a few thousand dollars per fillet.   

5A1CB14E-4975-4DBA-AADA-79A356646FE5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Nobody needs multiple engines (much like guns). on boats that size.  I think govt should push powerboat owners and makers to electric power plants.  It’s a no brainer.

Nice!

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
Nobody needs multiple engines (much like guns). on boats that size.  I think govt should push powerboat owners and makers to electric power plants.  It’s a no brainer.
It's coming. A friend has recently ordered a brand new 43 foot sailboat with all electric power. The target for this boat is 10 hours per charge at nearly hull speed.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
It's coming. A friend has recently ordered a brand new 43 foot sailboat with all electric power. The target for this boat is 10 hours per charge at nearly hull speed.
Is that the new eco-friendly Mac 43?

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
He can screw up the ocean.    Lake Erie is already turning a bit green toward Cedar Point, I’m sure the annual algae bloom is on its way.    Let’s not return to the good old days when the lakes were fish free.    A lot of people make a lot of money harvesting very expensive walleye after all.    Big oil gets to feed the 600 to 900 hp motors the modern fisherman needs, and South Shore gets to sell $110,000 to 190000 fishing boats so non sailors can enjoy the water at a few thousand dollars per fillet.   

View attachment 274573
I think you would do better solving the algae problem looking to farming rather than fishing.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Yeah I saw a story about a lux carbon 60, racer cruiser with a electric sail drive.  I can’t imagine the price is that much more for a n electric power plant and the benefit is abundantly clear.  We’ve all seen oil and gas sheens on the water.

Plus power boasters might experience something closer to what we sailors experience under sail.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Ever have an engine quit offshore?
Yes.  I just put the sails back up.  Problem solved with small backup electric outboard.

though I’ve not heard of  electric car engines just quiting

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
I think you would do better solving the algae problem looking to farming rather than fishing.

My point may have been too broad.    Big picture:   Lake Erie still needs help, including agricultural and backyard runoff control.   The recreational fishing industry has recovered despite this, to generate big bucks.   People that buy fishing boats the cost of a decent midwestern house powered by two or three 300 hp Yamaha engines are likely political donors.   Yamaha, south shore marine, and Grady White all profit.   They have owners and directors Trump’s cabinet can relate to.   Big bucks determines US policy.    QED the US should continue to protect and restore its Great Lakes.   

I made a Republican argument that ignored taboo subjects like biodiversity, climate change, health of poor people swimming at the public beach, contaminated municipal drinking water, etc.   I thought I was reaching across the political abyss.  

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
I made a Republican argument that ignored taboo subjects like biodiversity, climate change, health of poor people swimming at the public beach, contaminated municipal drinking water, etc.   I thought I was reaching across the political abyss.  
How wonderfully fucking presumptive of you.  Why not try discussing problems in real terms rather than taking the political view?

ND2697a-Protector.jpg

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Ah.    Cute baby picture.    I may totally fail to understand your politics, but do enjoy your photos.   

Edit.   The river this laker barge (initially a wwII freighter) was being pushed down was designed with a flood zone of gently sloping bank, and the channel wall toward the center,  underwater.  This provides fish habitat while still allowing commercial use, and is an example of smart government spending.   

266BD27F-3E52-4C34-8D80-5FB07EA23BA3.jpeg

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
Ah.    Cute baby picture.    I may totally fail to understand your politics, but do enjoy your photos.   

Edit.   The river this laker barge (initially a wwII freighter) was being pushed down was designed with a flood zone of gently sloping bank, and the channel wall toward the center,  underwater.  This provides fish habitat while still allowing commercial use, and is an example of smart government spending.   
Think outside the partydigm.

3to1

Super Anarchist
it's deflection hour;

today, 'gop' 'law makers' are going after the National Science Foundation claiming they're 'propagandizing' the issue of climate change.

a few of these righty assholes really need to be forced to die if only to make a clear statement, and you know it would be a global net win, but not for the extraction industries, though.