Obese

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
When it comes to “good genes,” those XX kind are the most protective of all for heart issues. 😃

Are you saying women are less likely to have heart problems? Last I knew heart disease killed way more women than breast cancer. And an old sailing mate said it was mostly women in his rehab PT sessions after heart surgery. I reckon more men get it younger for sure.

https://www.cdc.gov › heartdisease › women.htm

Women and Heart Disease | cdc.gov

Jul 12, 2022Learn more facts about women and heart disease: Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women in the United States, killing 314,186 women in 2020—or about 1 in every 5 female deaths. 2; Heart disease is the leading cause of death for African American and white women in the United States. Among American Indian and Alaska Native women, heart disease and cancer cause roughly the same number of deaths each year.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
Are you saying women are less likely to have heart problems? Last I knew heart disease killed way more women than breast cancer. And an old sailing mate said it was mostly women in his rehab PT sessions after heart surgery. I reckon more men get it younger for sure.

https://www.cdc.gov › heartdisease › women.htm

Women and Heart Disease | cdc.gov

Jul 12, 2022Learn more facts about women and heart disease: Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women in the United States, killing 314,186 women in 2020—or about 1 in every 5 female deaths.
Yep, heart disease is the leading cause of death in females. I’ve obviously not kept up on the stats….15 yrs ago we would quote 1 in 3women would die from it. I used to be a speaker and grass roots lobbyist for American Heart Assoc , as a hobby. Still do a bit of lobbying. Need to do more reading. Used to be more men died from their 1st cardiac event, since women seem to visit doctors more frequently. I could go down this rabbit hole forever…lots of history.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Looks like an interestingly pruned crepe myrtle tree. At least, you certainly could prune one to look like that.

And yeah, 007...

FKT
I think it’s one of those trees (or are they vines?) that are found all over Brussels for example. They are pruned back each year like that. Then someone has photoshopped in the fingers.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Learned not long ago that the pruning technique (less the fingers) is called "pollarding."
Wowe koolle. I gesse ist up to usser to sette contaxte; virtualle "X", physicall "X", anal "X".. ande so forthe. Martey cane you usse it a sentence foire us? Plesae/Thack you.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Cheap fast food & soda is the principal difference.

Thanks Ray Kroc.
Gluttony pre-dated Ray.

The Lavish Roman Banquet: A Calculated Display Of Debauchery And Power

The Roman banquet may well have been the original staging ground of gastronomic excess — think platters of peacock tongue and fried dormice, chased down with liters of wine poured by naked waiters. But at the heart of all that gluttony was cold calculation.

For the aristocrats who ruled this sprawling ancient empire, which, at its peak under the soldier-emperor Trajan (A.D. 98 to A.D. 117), stretched all the way from Britain to Baghdad, the banquet was much more than a lavish social meal. It was a crucial power tool.

"The banquet was a chance to follow the precept of keeping your friends close and your enemies even closer," says historian and Cornell University Professor Barry Strauss. His engaging new book, Ten Caesars: Roman Emperors from Augustus to Constantine, profiles 10 prominent emperors whose policies and personality shaped the destiny of imperial Rome. "They allowed emperors to display political power and wealth, and dispense valuable favors to the invitees and monitor potential rivals. Even before there were emperors, members of the Roman elite held private banquets as a way to show off, network, reward friends and diss enemies."

The Q

Super Anarchist
Learned not long ago that the pruning technique (less the fingers) is called "pollarding."
Pollarded Oak trees were common, that provided the curved wooden sections for building wooden fighting ships of old..
Round here Willows are pollarded just to stop them spreading out..
All those bushes on the left are are very old pollarded Willows..

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
You’re correct. If a person can stay disciplined for just a few weeks the amount of food to feel full is drastically reduced. 1/2 burger and 5 onion rings and I feel full. It also really helps to eat slowly. It takes a while for the food to register as “full” or not hungry so if you eat quickly you are guaranteed to overeat. It’s more pleasant and enjoyable as well. Lastly…..if you’re not hungry….don’t eat or at least don’t eat a full meal. We really only “eat” one meal a day and snack in between. For instance, tonight we’ll just have a small salad with a little shrimp on top. If
Definitely true. When I am on a really good roll for a couple of months, my stomach definitely shrinks. When there is a cheat day it takes very little to feel full.

Grabbler

Grabbler
For instance, tonight we’ll just have a small salad with a little shrimp on top. If
A single "little shrimp"?...are you gonna share it or are you gonna splurge twice in one day and cook two shrimp so you can each have one on top of your salad?...

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
A little shrimp for me is about a pound. And I'm happy to say it's shrimp season here in the styx. Browns are here now with better-tasting greentails soon to follow. Is this a great country or what?

big-shrimp.png

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Gluttony pre-dated Ray.

The Lavish Roman Banquet: A Calculated Display Of Debauchery And Power

The Roman banquet may well have been the original staging ground of gastronomic excess — think platters of peacock tongue and fried dormice, chased down with liters of wine poured by naked waiters. But at the heart of all that gluttony was cold calculation.

For the aristocrats who ruled this sprawling ancient empire, which, at its peak under the soldier-emperor Trajan (A.D. 98 to A.D. 117), stretched all the way from Britain to Baghdad, the banquet was much more than a lavish social meal. It was a crucial power tool.

"The banquet was a chance to follow the precept of keeping your friends close and your enemies even closer," says historian and Cornell University Professor Barry Strauss. His engaging new book, Ten Caesars: Roman Emperors from Augustus to Constantine, profiles 10 prominent emperors whose policies and personality shaped the destiny of imperial Rome. "They allowed emperors to display political power and wealth, and dispense valuable favors to the invitees and monitor potential rivals. Even before there were emperors, members of the Roman elite held private banquets as a way to show off, network, reward friends and diss enemies."
That's why they invented the Vomitorium - go and stick their fingers down their throat, vomit up the first courses and go back for more.

I'll bet obesity wasn't as widespread as it is now though.

Latest posts