Obese

fufkin

Super Anarchist
that's a myth... your bodies digestive system doesn't shutdown just because you're sleeping..

it's just calories in vs calories out
depends who the mythologist is...even the‘calories in vs out’ could be construed as a myth. Different body types will have different ‘calories out’ schedules...some of which will be more prone than others to store carbohydrates as fat at different metabolic rates(at night/sleep vs day)

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
Or this

t4u97gpzkr7ipke3danzc92xa6c2.jpg

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Carbohydrates are calories and counted in the total of how many calories are contained in the food.
If you have a product that is 200 calories, and 40 carbohydrates, its not 200 calories + 40 carbohydrates, its 40 carbohydrates and 160 calories from other sources. A Calorie is just a unit of energy measurement, and the total is just an almagamation of the energy density contained in the food.
So by reducing your calorie total below your daily burn, you begin to burn stored fat to make up the difference.
Carbohydrates burn fast, because they are converted to sugar more readily by the body. Thats why if you're a rock climber or something, eating carbs is good in the morning before you exercise your muscles and call on that energy, but eating a lot of carbs and sitting around causes those sugars to get stored as fat. (its also why on a fast, you get a huge surge of energy as your body starts to convert those stored fats into sugars).

So yes, its more than calories in and calories out, and a tailored and well balenced diet is what is actually important. But in its simplest terms, you can get a good start by just calculating your calorie intake against your calorie use, because it is the total of the energy density contained in your food, especially if you are obese to begin with.
Not exactly. The 40 carbs are not 40 calories of carbs. It’s 40 grams of carbs, each gram of carbs equal 4 calories. So in your example of 200 calories and 40 carbs. 160 of those calories are from carbs. The remaining 40 calories are from everything else.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
I don’t count calories…..or carbohydrates…..or anything. It’s not hard to stay on the right side with portion control and some awareness. If I have a sandwich at lunch I won’t have any bread carbs at dinner. Calories are controlled by portions and frequency of each food. Pizza? Sure…..a couple times a month at most. Ice cream ? A small bowl once a week at the most. I don’t deny myself anything….I just don’t eat pounds of it at a setting and the big offenders not often. Fruits, veggies, fish, smoothies……they are the most frequent dietary consumption but I enjoy everything from time to time. It’s not really all that hard…certainly not so hard that you have to count stuff. We all know what are big calories and what are not……

Canada
Used to stop in there when I was in the neighborhood, back before it started to gentrify. A grotty dead zone just past the bridge over the hiway that separated old “downtown“ from the bucolic Beach and split the streetcar tracks. One of the few original greasy spoon diners left downtown, taken over by ex-punk musician/bike messenger types turned line cooks. It was across the street from the nastiest, ancient, run down hooker rooming hotel and a couple blocks away from The Clandestine Club, a pre-legalization “members only” comedy club that sold weed, where you had to be introduced by a friend. The touring comedians would stop by there to work on new material. Best of both worlds - if they killed, they tore the roof off, if they bombed, the audience was so stoned they’d never remember.

Then some hipster ad agency did this pro bono campaign for them so they could submit to the awards shows. And then the developers came. And then the fire. ⚡

Last edited:

Coastal_Fox

New England
Not exactly. The 40 carbs are not 40 calories of carbs. It’s 40 grams of carbs, each gram of carbs equal 4 calories. So in your example of 200 calories and 40 carbs. 160 of those calories are from carbs. The remaining 40 calories are from everything else.
Today I've become more educated than i previously was. Hooray!
Can't believe you found that buried post though haha.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
... So I guess what I'm saying is from now on I'm going to take hard look at portion size! (& maybe try to get in some exercise, looks like my boy is fixing scalloped taters for dinner tonight, maybe I'll take a nice little walk after a reasonable portion).
This reminds me of a well-known portly gent whose comments regarding portion sizes was to remark on the "prodigious" dumps he took.

But yeah, metabolism.

Latest posts