Obese

tane

Anarchist
reduction of caloric intake (past a certain amount) is one way to guarantee weight gain - & a lot of literature, studies, anecdotal evidence (& plain logic) backs this up.
The moment your body sees a reduction in food it is going to hang on to it's reserves tenaciously while cutting down on expended calories = slowing down metabolism.
(Now this does NOT mean one should continue couching & stuffing oneself with chips if one is overweight!)
BUT: looking at thin people (& myself) I clearly see: a high degree of physical activity PLUS a lot of ("healthy"!!!) food has not made us fat. The idea is to stoke metabolism up as much as possible (a,...yes: one has to like, really LIKE, physical activity! & by "physical activity" I do NOT mean "walkies" after dinner, but going to your very limits - where it hurts! - at least once a day!
example: in my lose group of mountainbike friends the thinnest, very powerful, guy (body fat must be somewhere 6-7%) always has to eat a sweet snack after 45min or so of ride & sure is not following a regime of restricted caloric intake. He is >50 years.
I, at 66, am not quite that skinny, but I sure eat as much as I want (even though people call my "diet" of bread, dairy products, fruit & a tuna-tin-a-week peculiar...+ coffe & cake) sweets included & at nearly 6' & 149lbs am generally called "skinny"
"Dieting" is one of the sure-fire ways to gain weight!
THE problem that I see: if physical activity (not "walkies"!) is abhorred - usually one is on a "slippery slope" towards overweight. As one ages metabolism is slowing down by itself without any further "help" by reduced physical activity, & caloric intake reduction further slows it down.
Caveat:
Now while I enjoy strenuous mountainbiking every other day & weigh-lifting on the days in between:
the possible "gain" in lifetime (which I will yet have to see...) most certainly will be much less than the time spent exercising. I actually enjoy my "regime" very much, but the "time balance" for somebody exercising only for the gain in life-expectancy will be negative! If I die today I will still be on the positive side, because I enjoyed my sports, but if somebody would do it despite hating it....the gain in lifetime will be much less than the time expended doing the hated sports.
There is one aspect though: "quality of life" is much higher when one is "fit"...

Windward

Super Anarchist
reduction of caloric intake (past a certain amount) is one way to guarantee weight gain - & a lot of literature, studies, anecdotal evidence (& plain logic) backs this up.
The moment your body sees a reduction in food it is going to hang on to it's reserves tenaciously while cutting down on expended calories = slowing down metabolism.
I will need to research this...

From my experience diet is the fastest way to loose weight. Not exercise. Perhaps that is just the initial loss, not the larger sustainable losses desired.

For example. If I get sick and mope about for a few days and don't eat much, I will loose 5 lbs easily. Those 5 lbs gradually return over a month of my normal activity and eating.

Another example is pizza. If I eat too much pizza I always seem to gain weight for 2 days. It sheds, but my body will store those calories with gusto.

I've never tried fasting, and don't really have a desire to do so. But my expectation would be weight loss. So if I change my diet significantly as well I would also expect weight loss.

Exercise does not seem to have any correlation to weight. Unless it is a hot day and I sweat it out, but water loss is not weight loss.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Sounds good.

On the few occasions I go out for a business breakfast (what a fucking abominable idea this is is for us Euros) I have one poached egg, an English (haha!) muffin, buttered, and one slice of medium-cooked bacon. No potatoes, no fruit, nuffin.

The poached egg goes on one half muffin, and the other half is bisected and the bacon slice folded in three, and the top whacked on. Bacon butty!

American friends are generally horrified, as they tuck into their gargantuan breakfasts.

Oh, and a Mimosa.
Common breakfast for me though I have found that some colmans mustard one half and mayo on the other makes a better sandwich for me. Got to poke that yoke and spread it around a bit though and put on same ground pepper :)

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
I will need to research this...

From my experience diet is the fastest way to loose weight. Not exercise. Perhaps that is just the initial loss, not the larger sustainable losses desired.

For example. If I get sick and mope about for a few days and don't eat much, I will loose 5 lbs easily. Those 5 lbs gradually return over a month of my normal activity and eating.

Another example is pizza. If I eat too much pizza I always seem to gain weight for 2 days. It sheds, but my body will store those calories with gusto.

I've never tried fasting, and don't really have a desire to do so. But my expectation would be weight loss. So if I change my diet significantly as well I would also expect weight loss.

Exercise does not seem to have any correlation to weight. Unless it is a hot day and I sweat it out, but water loss is not weight loss.
Exercise has a huge weight correlation for me. Diet to a lesser extent. Exercise burns calories so I don’t understand why it wouldn’t correlate to weight. I was in a cardiac rehab program for 3+ years, pretty strictly monitored by EPs, and learned a great deal, at least about myself. Pizza, eh, once or twice a year.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Sounds good.

On the few occasions I go out for a business breakfast (what a fucking abominable idea this is is for us Euros) I have one poached egg, an English (haha!) muffin, buttered, and one slice of medium-cooked bacon. No potatoes, no fruit, nuffin.

The poached egg goes on one half muffin, and the other half is bisected and the bacon slice folded in three, and the top whacked on. Bacon butty!

American friends are generally horrified, as they tuck into their gargantuan breakfasts.

Oh, and a Mimosa.
Sounds good - but I'd need two orders.

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
I don’t count calories…..or carbohydrates…..or anything. It’s not hard to stay on the right side with portion control and some awareness. If I have a sandwich at lunch I won’t have any bread carbs at dinner. Calories are controlled by portions and frequency of each food. Pizza? Sure…..a couple times a month at most. Ice cream ? A small bowl once a week at the most. I don’t deny myself anything….I just don’t eat pounds of it at a setting and the big offenders not often. Fruits, veggies, fish, smoothies……they are the most frequent dietary consumption but I enjoy everything from time to time. It’s not really all that hard…certainly not so hard that you have to count stuff. We all know what are big calories and what are not……

careful, those are dangerous with lots of calories depending on the type, unless you're doing the greens type shakes

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
But generally looks better than fat 🤷🏼‍♀️
But not always.

1661789631745.png

Windward

Super Anarchist
Yep, we make our own. Chobani non fat yogurt, frozen berry mix, and a little OJ or cranberry juice. Tastes great and reasonable calorie load.
Not if that guy from your firehouse was re-incarnated as an avocado appreciating squirrel and is adding weight gain powders to your smoothies when you are not looking.

Be careful out there.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
... according to researchTrusted Source published today in JAMA Internal Medicine that found that early time-restricted eating for a period of 8 hours between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. led to more effective weight loss, blood pressure control, and mood improvement in adults with obesity when compared with a group who ate in an eating window greater than 12 hours.

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
... according to researchTrusted Source published today in JAMA Internal Medicine that found that early time-restricted eating for a period of 8 hours between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. led to more effective weight loss, blood pressure control, and mood improvement in adults with obesity when compared with a group who ate in an eating window greater than 12 hours.
Intermittent fasting. Some pretty athletic people are into it to.

Latest posts