Obese

peragrin

Super Anarchist
I can lose weight exercising. The problem for me is time. I need a solid hour of cardio a day to lose weight that way. I simply dont have that kind of free time. (I also take months to watch a tv show as i dont have the kind of free time).

However through a stable diet and stop eating before i feel full. I can keep my weight to 1-2 pounds gained annually. Of course 20 years later that adds up

Currently got a very physical new job. So at 44 years old i have slimed down a bit while balancing my diet. It is going to suck when they finally find someone to help with the physical part.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
... according to researchTrusted Source published today in JAMA Internal Medicine that found that early time-restricted eating for a period of 8 hours between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. led to more effective weight loss, blood pressure control, and mood improvement in adults with obesity when compared with a group who ate in an eating window greater than 12 hours.
Thanks for the read. Used to peruse many RCTs, then got out of the habit. 7a to 3p doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult…might have to try it. 👩‍🦰

Grabbler

Grabbler
Exhaustive personal studies have determined that shit out of the freezer has no calories😄...tag said "Crawfish Étouffée 1/22" so they must've been some early season bugs... can't remember how good it was at conception...but it was right on point tonight...

IMG_20220829_205509004.jpg

tane

Anarchist
I will need to research this...

From my experience diet is the fastest way to loose weight. Not exercise. Perhaps that is just the initial loss, not the larger sustainable losses desired.

For example. If I get sick and mope about for a few days and don't eat much, I will loose 5 lbs easily. Those 5 lbs gradually return over a month of my normal activity and eating.

Another example is pizza. If I eat too much pizza I always seem to gain weight for 2 days. It sheds, but my body will store those calories with gusto.

I've never tried fasting, and don't really have a desire to do so. But my expectation would be weight loss. So if I change my diet significantly as well I would also expect weight loss.

Exercise does not seem to have any correlation to weight. Unless it is a hot day and I sweat it out, but water loss is not weight loss.
"Diet", in the sense of "I-eat-special/reduced-for-a-defined-period-of-time & then I eat as before" will trigger the well documented "yoyo"-effect: the body learns, that there a times with less supply, so for the next of these it stocks up extra reserves, more than before.
Subsequent "dieting" then returning to the "standard" regime, is THE well documented way to weight gain. (I cannot comprehend, why "women's magazines" still advocate "the crash diet for your beach-body", etc.)
If one wants to influence ones weight by varying the caloric intake, only (ONLY!) a permanent change of it will have a chance of suceeding in permanent weight loss. Even this will likely be spectacular (unless the reduction is drastic, which will lower the chance one will be able to persevere) less than expected, as invariably the metabolism will slow down somewhat (until booted into more action by an increase in activity (& I don't mean "walkies"!).
Food is closely linked to our mental well-being, & the whole topic of weight, fitness, dieting, exercise,... is a minefield of self-deception, skewed body-awareness, false prophets & money-making.
Lots of garbage-literature, very few sensible reads on the subject.
The main point of the sensible literature (backed up by studies, common sense & anecdotal evidence of myself):
"Set-point": for each amount of calories & exercise, the body has a "set-point"-weight (widely varying between individuals, WIDELY!)
so: reducing input will only lead to a certain weight-loss, than stabilize there, the same with an increase of exercise. (One will not continue to "diminish" & then disappear)
carbohydrates: 4kcal/gram - protein: 4kcal/gram, fat 9kcal/gram - usually the amount of fat eaten in grossly underestimated: go ahead & weigh your food, you will see, than the "recommendation" (whatever that really is, varying over time with changing experts, but anyway) of 1gram/kg body-weight (ideal weight, not "obese-standard"!) is usually exceeded a few times over!
The gist it all seems to boil down to:
exercise/do sports as much as is sustainable indefinitely
eat as few calories as are sustainable indefinitely
be satisfied with the result!

& maybe the most important & difficult of all:
aim for your children not to be overweight, not even "chubby" (& I know what I am talking about: I was a"chubby" child - & it was terrible! Landed me with a preoccupation with weight for life - even though I am slim since puberty.)

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I can lose weight exercising. The problem for me is time. I need a solid hour of cardio a day to lose weight that way. I simply don't have that kind of free time. (I also take months to watch a tv show as i don't have the kind of free time).
Eat less and forget the hour on the stairmaster. And right now, in your forties, ya gotta deal with that time fixation. Otherwise you'll be on enforced time out recuperating from that heart attack at the Big 50 in my not too humble but non-MD opinion.
eat as few calories as are sustainable indefinitely
be satisfied with the result!
Yes sir. This entire issue appears to me to be a head trip. The hardest kind. Mom and the FDA have had this all wrong.

And a reminder to all that while Hershel Walker is a mental midget, physically he is a hulk. He says doesn't use free weights or machines and while we know he has troubles with truth he says he eats very little once per day. He's a soup and salad and seeds guy primarily. He's also a swimmer. [!]

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
Eat less and forget the hour on the stairmaster. And right now, in your forties, ya gotta deal with that time fixation. Otherwise you'll be on enforced time out recuperating from that heart attack at the Big 50 in my not too humble but non-MD opinion

40s we’re pure svelteness and fun!

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
The struggle to keep the weight off has been tougher the last four years. I reduced my calorie intake and went on a time restricted diet from 0900 hrs to 1800 hrs, I also do three 7-minute workouts a day, stair climb three levels several times a day, keep dumb bells and medicine ball beside my offfice chair and do various dumb bell and medicine ball workouts, do a high intensity workout with a weighted medicine ball every other day for 30 minutes, and dance with my wife as often as possible.

However shredding the final pounds proves elusive. I got down to my lowest at 193 last November, I was hoping to make it down to 187-189 lbs, since then I watch my diet more - no crap or junk food at all workout hard and struggle to get under 203 lbs, any time I make it to 199-201 is a brief minor victory. It looks like I'll be at 200+/- for the final run.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
The struggle to keep the weight off has been tougher the last four years. I reduced my calorie intake and went on a time restricted diet from 0900 hrs to 1800 hrs, I also do three 7-minute workouts a day, stair climb three levels several times a day, keep dumb bells and medicine ball beside my offfice chair and do various dumb bell and medicine ball workouts, do a high intensity workout with a weighted medicine ball every other day for 30 minutes, and dance with my wife as often as possible.

However shredding the final pounds proves elusive. I got down to my lowest at 193 last November, I was hoping to make it down to 187-189 lbs, since then I watch my diet more - no crap or junk food at all workout hard and struggle to get under 203 lbs, any time I make it to 199-201 is a brief minor victory. It looks like I'll be at 200+/- for the final run.
I absolutely identify with this. I am still very active swim, pickleball, golf, archery but staying at my target weight of 190 is a little harder as I get older. Around 200 is still fine, I don't stress and still fit into 34 waist so..........I think 190 isn't going to happen without more effort than I am willing to put in. At 200 I don't count calories and eat pottery much anything I want just not everyday and not to excess. It works.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Occasionally I allow myself a treat - but don't make a habit of it. If I increase the 7-minute workouts to a 14-minute or 21-minutes may be the solution. This getting old isn't quite so easy. Never thought I'd have to exercise so much to feel the best physically. Walking more may be a solution, too, so perhaps I should take up Golf again, my Dad golfed till he was 87, and we watched him decline after his wife was put in a Home for those with dementia - and though he saw her every day, he said, he was ready to check out. At our age exercise is medicine and movement is life.

One other thing osteoarthritis is common with those of us that physically worked in the past. No pain meds were helpful for me, so I started investigated using supplements and found two supplements that reduced inflammation in joints due to osteoarthritis. I found that Tart Cherry, Devils Claw worked quite well for most my joint aches. To finally get total hip pain relief OsteoMD Bone supplement with calcium, and K3 & D3 so the calcium doesn't have quite the tendency to stick to plaque in the arteries. My right thumb hand joint used to be quite painful, and this was the final joint to get pain relief, but I resorted to using Dragon 1:1 Deep Tissue Salve 300mg THC/ 300 mg CBD + 20mg CBN. This allowed me to physically write again with my right hand without being in pain. - it only took a few months of the salve to work and no long use it. Still do the Carlyle Tart Cherry, Devil's Claw, OsteoMD one capsule each daily.

Last edited:

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Not without a fight!

ETA: It's so much easier not to eat ice cream and treats than feel bad shortly after doing so.
When I went down to 193 lbs last Novemeber, it was on the ice cream diet. The ice cream diet comes down to caloric restriction.

Anyone who eats 1200 to 1600 calories per day while on the ice cream diet will lose weight.

However I'm closer to a 2500 to 2600 calories a day depending on how sedate or active to maintain 200lbs, where I feel comfortable and not hungry.

Ice cream diet - fact or fiction.

Last edited:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Eating is just like everything else. You can snack every hour on the ice cream for a moment or two of pleasure or you can graze all day long on veggies. I dunno if there is virtue in veggies but chomping beats not chomping.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
Anyone who eats 1200 to 1600 calories per day while on the ice cream diet will lose weight.
Ice cream diet - fact or fiction.
I know nothing about the ice cream, or any other fad diet. But practically anyone eating 1200 calories a day will lose weight.

Adult females need anywhere from 1,600 to 2,400 calories a day and adult males need anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day, according to the USDA's latest “Dietary Guidelines for Americans” report released in 2020.

The higher end calories are generally for active young people vs the lower end for older, more sedentary people.

Latest posts