Obese

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
The struggle to keep the weight off has been tougher the last four years. I reduced my calorie intake and went on a time restricted diet from 0900 hrs to 1800 hrs, I also do three 7-minute workouts a day, stair climb three levels several times a day, keep dumb bells and medicine ball beside my offfice chair and do various dumb bell and medicine ball workouts, do a high intensity workout with a weighted medicine ball every other day for 30 minutes, and dance with my wife as often as possible.

However shredding the final pounds proves elusive. I got down to my lowest at 193 last November, I was hoping to make it down to 187-189 lbs, since then I watch my diet more - no crap or junk food at all workout hard and struggle to get under 203 lbs, any time I make it to 199-201 is a brief minor victory. It looks like I'll be at 200+/- for the final run.
If you've been doing the same thing for four years it's time to mix things up. It doesn't take long before your CNS figures out how to just get through the routine with the least amount of effort. Even if you're sweating your ass off, there's a good chance it just became maintenance a long time ago.

Try different exercises to hit the same areas. Or lighten the weight a bit and introduce a progression. If you're attached to the stuff you're doing, at the very least change up the order you do it in.

A simple way to think about it is to try surprise your body now and then.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Long thread. Skimmed it. Seems to mostly be tall men, young men. Well, young to me men.
Any women on here? Old women with fake knees?
It is scary how little I can eat at 72 compared to 66 or even 68, exercise held fairly constant. 1600 calorries? Don't make me laugh.
Maybe I need to eliminate carbs except for a banana a day and lo carb veggies. I lost weight on that in my 20s.
What do you eat, Jane Fonda?

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Eating is just like everything else. You can snack every hour on the ice cream for a moment or two of pleasure or you can graze all day long on veggies. I dunno if there is virtue in veggies but chomping beats not chomping.
When I was a kid we did a vacay to Idaho to visit my mom's parents. Gramps and Grandma had come from a time and a place where starvation had been real. For some reason, they viewed any turning down of good food poorly indeed, and me, a brat American kid of 8 who would not eat veggies and was openly picky about food flat rubbed them the wrong freakin' way. But they never let on.

What they did was have a hike day...out the door o-dark thirty, minimal breakfast, and only a PB and J sandwich packed for lunch. 10 miles, 4,000 vertical feet up and back down. All day thing, it was. And I came in almost weak with hunger.

For dinner there was just a huge plate of veggies, steamed well and flavored with soy sauce on a thin bed of rice. That was it. My worst nightmare, it had cauliflower and broccoli all over it....and it was, for some reason...fucking delicious. Been unafraid of veggies ever since. Can't imagine why.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
Long thread. Skimmed it. Seems to mostly be tall men, young men. Well, young to me men.
It is scary how little I can eat at 72 compared to 66 or even 68, exercise held fairly constant. 1600 calorries? Don't make me laugh.
Maybe I need to eliminate carbs except for a banana a day and lo carb veggies. I lost weight on that in my 20s.
If that was directed to me, so far I have no fake anything. I did better at losing weight consuming a lot of veggies and fruits. Love fish, not fried. Beef a few times a year. I do so much better if I stick with a workout routine, at this point, developing one again. It was much easier when I lived in ‘civilization’ vs small resort town.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
If you've been doing the same thing for four years it's time to mix things up. It doesn't take long before your CNS figures out how to just get through the routine with the least amount of effort. Even if you're sweating your ass off, there's a good chance it just became maintenance a long time ago.

Try different exercises to hit the same areas. Or lighten the weight a bit and introduce a progression. If you're attached to the stuff you're doing, at the very least change up the order you do it in.

A simple way to think about it is to try surprise your body now and then.
I've been changing constantly my workout regime, that's where I am now. Last fall when I was loosing the most weight, I went from my 25 lb dumbells, down to 20, then to 15 then to 10lb. Still changing my dumbell weights up and downs, as well as my curl bar, and bench bar weights. I also change my workout, with various routines and workouts from the Tabata Workouts. Added more stair climbing, rowing, biking and even more sex. I also changed up the Medicine Ball Workouts. I think it's more that I've settled where I look and feel in shape, and don't walk and climb near as much where I used to 11 years ago before I retired, when I had decent abs. Since most of my added weight around the middle, what I need to work on now is my core, by adding planks all four ways, and adding crunches. We know how fun those are.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
So have I but….. no one will ever see it. I think I bought all the copies that were remaining ……😳
Mine was for a fundraiser. I only stopped after an interview was plastered on the Jumbotron at Ford Field. Newspapers, radios, etc were fine, but that was a bit much. Then I got into riding golf carts at fund raising events, and getting guys with big bucks to lay down big bets…lots of fun.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Mine was for a fundraiser. I only stopped after an interview was plastered on the Jumbotron at Ford Field. Newspapers, radios, etc were fine, but that was a bit much. Then I got into riding golf carts at fund raising events, and getting guys with big bucks to lay down big bets…lots of fun.
Mine was a fundraiser as well. Like I said I’m pretty sure I have them all. 😳

tane

Anarchist
... Since most of my added weight around the middle, what I need to work on now is my core, by adding planks all four ways, and adding crunches. We know how fun those are.
"Abs are made in the kitchen!"

tane

Anarchist
spin it however you like ...

reality is calories in minus calories burned equates to weight gain or loss .

IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE .
the bitch, that nature is: minus 500kcal will lose you x pounds, going back up 400kcal will gain you x times 1,2 pounds...
Going down - your "set-point" is closer than you think, going up - it is further up than you think...

peragrin

Super Anarchist
The problem here is you have to watch your reserves. My mother eent from a slight 150 lbs to 120 lbs in 3 months because at age 71 she got sick and didnt eat. And since she lives alone no one noticed how bad she got.

You want to not be obese but a bit of fat in your later years as you drop to a meal a day will help you for when you break a leg, catch a cold etc.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Yeh but then people think you could lose a few. And your clothes fit funny. And Wess says you deserve to have covid complications because you are a fattie.
The problem here is you have to watch your reserves. My mother eent from a slight 150 lbs to 120 lbs in 3 months because at age 71 she got sick and didnt eat. And since she lives alone no one noticed how bad she got.

You want to not be obese but a bit of fat in your later years as you drop to a meal a day will help you for when you break a leg, catch a cold etc.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Math is a wonderful thing...
1661973282641.png

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
We eat almost no processed food at our house. That alone seems to have cured any serious concerns about weight. Seafood, vegetables, nuts, fruits and dairy in moderation...chocolate! Some chicken and red meat. Not a lot of bread. When I do have good bread, it is also a delivery system for good butter. Bingeing does occur, usually involving chips and salsa.