tane

Anarchist
not-so-widely-published fun fact:
best longevity: slowly increasing bodyweight over lifetime
less longevity: constant bodyweight over lifetime
least longevity: diminishing bodyweight over lifetime

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
I stumbled across this early AM, a history of breakfast cereals - posting it here as it includes the inclusion and promotion of sugar as being good and necessary for kids. Also interesting is the early ones promoted were very healthy but for really weird reasons. Kind of long but quirky and funny.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
I stille laffe aboute somthing realley stupide, on Markette peopel werre linneng up foire a ghoste toure. Frome sidewalklle I yelde "BOOO" pprettey loude. 2/3 of them jumpte, the orthere gaive me the 'you assholle' looke.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Unfortunately the era of country music songwriters like Charlie Rich, Mel Tillis, and even Willie is gone. Everything today sounds like a parody of David Allen Coe's old parody song. "Pickup truck, backroads, boots, ___ liquor brand" etc. It's a tired formula with no heart, soul, heartbreak or even a human story.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Last I heard, Willie is still alive, kicking, writing music, and put out a new album "A Beautiful Time". Nelson's longtime musical collaborator Buddy Cannon produced the new album and co-wrote six of the new songs.

According to his wife Annie, Willie Nelson contracted COVID-19 the week after his 89th birthday in early May, and nearly died from the disease.

On May 7th, the Willie Nelson camp announced they were cancelling his headlining set at the annual New Orleans Jazz Fest on Sunday May 8th along with other shows “due to a positive Covid case in the Willie Nelson Family band,” leaving just who had tested positive ambiguous. The fact that anyone who could have been near Willie had tested positive was concerning, let alone Willie himself. Sure, with treatments and the latest strains of COVID, it has become significantly less deadly. But with a long history of respiratory problems, any respiratory illness could be fatal for the 89-year-old.

Willie Nelson had been sleeping on his tour bus when he woke up in the middle of the night struggling to breathe. After he tested positive, they threw the kitchen sink at the disease, including utilizing a nebulizer they already had on the bus for his breathing problems, as well as monoclonal antibodies and steroids. After returning home to his ranch in Spicewood just outside of Austin, they brought a mobile medical unit to his home.

“We turned the house into a hospital,” says Annie Nelson. “There were a couple of times when I wasn’t sure he was going to make it.” But luckily, Willie pulled through, and two weeks later was playing back-to-back shows at the Whitewater Ampitheater in New Braunfels, TX on May 27th and 28th.

“I had a pretty rough time with it,” Willie Nelson says. “COVID ain’t nothing to laugh at, that’s for sure.”

Perhaps an 89-year-old surviving COVID tells us just how far we’ve come with the disease. But as Jody Rosen attempted to underscore, we shouldn’t take for granted a single minute we get to share on this earth in the presence of Willie Nelson.

Willie is currently on hiatus for the rest of August, resuming his Outlaw Fest tour on September 9th in Georgia.

Last edited:

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Last I heard, Willie is still alive, kicking, writing music put out a new album "A Beautiful Time". Nelson's longtime musical collaborator Buddy Cannon produced the new album and co-wrote six of the new songs.

According to his wife Annie, Willie Nelson contracted COVID-19 the week after his 89th birthday in early May, and nearly died from the disease.

On May 7th, the Willie Nelson camp announced they were cancelling his headlining set at the annual New Orleans Jazz Fest on Sunday May 8th along with other shows “due to a positive Covid case in the Willie Nelson Family band,” leaving just who had tested positive ambiguous. The fact that anyone who could have been near Willie had tested positive was concerning, let alone Willie himself. Sure, with treatments and the latest strains of COVID, it has become significantly less deadly. But with a long history of respiratory problems, any respiratory illness could be fatal for the 89-year-old.

Willie Nelson had been sleeping on his tour bus when he woke up in the middle of the night struggling to breathe. After he tested positive, they threw the kitchen sink at the disease, including utilizing a nebulizer they already had on the bus for his breathing problems, as well as monoclonal antibodies and steroids. After returning home to his ranch in Spicewood just outside of Austin, they brought a mobile medical unit to his home.

“We turned the house into a hospital,” says Annie Nelson. “There were a couple of times when I wasn’t sure he was going to make it.” But luckily, Willie pulled through, and two weeks later was playing back-to-back shows at the Whitewater Ampitheater in New Braunfels, TX on May 27th and 28th.

“I had a pretty rough time with it,” Willie Nelson says. “COVID ain’t nothing to laugh at, that’s for sure.”

Perhaps an 89-year-old surviving COVID tells us just how far we’ve come with the disease. But as Jody Rosen attempted to underscore, we shouldn’t take for granted a single minute we get to share on this earth in the presence of Willie Nelson.

Willie is currently on hiatus for the rest of August, resuming his Outlaw Fest tour on September 9th in Georgia.

Hard to believe he wrote this more than sixty years ago

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
not-so-widely-published fun fact:
best longevity: slowly increasing bodyweight over lifetime
less longevity: constant bodyweight over lifetime
least longevity: diminishing bodyweight over lifetime
Smokers don't do so well - smoking can be detrimental to a long life.

Those who exercise at least 45 minutes a day, which can be broken into 15 minutes of actual exercises, later 15 minutes of gardening, later add a 15 minute walk.

Other activities that are common among the oldest and can be helpful as follows

Staying active physically as well as socially.

Learning, reading and challenging ones brain and body.

Overall - brain and body exercise is medicine and movement is life.

Helping others start and finish projects.

Dancing again is a good thang, and can be practiced at home with your partner.

Last edited: